“Hitching Post B&B”

Hitching Post Resort
Reviewed 2 March 2011

Stayed with Greg and Marietta for my annual Ski trip. This year it was Silver Star in Vernon and Kelowna's Big White.
The Hitching Post is located about 15 or so min outside of Kelowna on the way to Big White Resort. If traveling at night the signs to the side road may be difficults to see. I tried to guage it and it was about 6 Km past the big hairpin turn.
I could not have asked for better guests. Greg and Marietta are the perfect hosts. Very friendly and are more than willing to lend an hand, ecpecially when you press the wrong button on the hot tub to make it a luke warm tub.... Sorry Greg.
I stayed in the Treehouse. That is the larger of the two buildings. I was told that it was originally a garage. WOW what a transformation (see photos). Truely a job well done.
Good size living space with a large bathroon on the main floor which included a large jetted soaker tub and shower. The living room has a futon, copule of chairs and a wood burning fireplace. The wood is pre chopped and ready to go when you get there. The kitcken is a fair size as well. A table that seats 4, microwave, coffee pot, kettle, pots, pans, dishes and a small fridge.
Up a finely designed spiral staircase is a loft sitting area with a couch and small chair. Large windows all around give a fantastic view of the hills and the rest of there wonderful property. They did allow me to wonder around and explore the areas creek and horses, but I was too busy with the skiing thing......
Also in the loft area is a wonderful 4 poster queen bed. Very confortable indeed. Much better than most hotels.
Just outside the front door is the hot tub. A great place to unwind and watch the stars. And there lots to see.
Greg's main house is just steps away and I am sure would not mind a knock on the door if you had any issues.
Parking is right out front.
Some other very minor details.... (an they are minor)
The kitchen only contains a counter top stove. It took a while to heat up water to boil eggs. Cooking dinner for a family may be an issue for some. Kelowna does have many places to eat as wells as many grocery stores.
No real radio other than the clock radio by the bed. I like listening to my music to that was tough. They do proved a DVD player connected to a small computer screen. Other than that no TV either. Bring some DVD's to watch or have a look at the selection Greg and Marietta provide for thier guests.
Overall, for the time I spent there I would say it was a pleasurable event. Greg came over my last night and we had a great chat.
I am sure visitors will enjoy their stay at the Hitching Post.
As with all my reviews, please fell free to contact me with any questions.
rkattenburg@rseg.com

• Stayed: February 2011, travelled solo
2  Thank calgarykatt
Reviewed 14 July 2010

Wife and I thought we were so smart to schedule our long weekend in the Okanagan for the American 4th of July -- so we could get the long weekend benefits without all the holiday crowds...unfortunately, didn't realize it was also the long Canada Day weekend up north. As a result, hotels were slammed and rates were *very* high all along the Okanagan. And anyway, Kelowna is always very expensive, like $200+ for the Ramada. What to do?

So we found the Hitching Post on an homestay web site. They have two cabins (really a single duplex cabin) on a big piece of land about 20 minutes outside of central Kelowna. For people looking for a quieter place or who want to be in the mountains, this would be a great fit. For us, the commute was the trade off for a very good price on the cabin. We had the smaller of the two, which was still a huge room with a kitchenette, bed, and sitting area.

The owner was super nice, friendly and full of good recommendations. We didn't really see or hear our neighbors in the larger cabin at all. The cabin was clean and comfortable. The only complaint I have is the very small shower and low-flow shower head made it tough for someone of large size like myself to get clean.

Note- have free WiFi (kind of slow, but it's free) and for some guests, breakfast is included, but we didn't do the breakfast option.

• Stayed: July 2010, travelled as a couple