“If you love the smell of garbage this is the hotel for you”
Review of Days Inn Kelowna

Days Inn Kelowna
Ranked #21 of 34 Hotels in Kelowna
Victoria
“If you love the smell of garbage this is the hotel for you”
Reviewed 2 September 2006

We booked a stay here for two nights, though left after only one. Your first impression is made when you walk into the lobby where u are greeted by the smell of old cigarette smoke and cluttered furniture that looks like a collection from a garage sale. The door to our room had so many kick marks and dirt on it that it was no longer white but grungy. When we opened the door there was no air conditioning on and it had to have been at least 40degrees inside. The air conditioner took 2 hours to cool the room down.We could not open the one window that did open because the smell of rotting garbage that wafted in from some dumptser was enough to make you gag. I enjoyed my shower the next day as I was treated to the sight of black mold growing in all the grout of the tiles and corners.

I have stayed in cheap hotels before that were at least clean and well maintained. This place was horrible.

Stayed August 2006
1 Thank boltog

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (71)
Calgary, Alberta
Reviewed 21 August 2006

Family of four just stayed one night. Room was clean, had a small fridge, beds were good, staff helpful, check in & out was efficient, breakfast was a full continental (fruit, yogurt, toast, muffins, cereal, juice, coffee, bagels). A good choice for a night or two. Oh... & the pool & courtyard looked nice too!

• Liked — location & access to car from room
  • Disliked — room's window is on sidewalk where other guests walk by & talk loudly in early a.m./late night
  • Stayed August 2006, travelled with family
    • Check-in / front desk
1 Thank Franceisfine
regina, sk
Reviewed 2 June 2005

First before I give you my review, I should probably tell you a bit of my background to let you know whos writing this review. I am a 22 year old male and my girlfriend is 19. We are both students who decided to travel across the west coast. Our travels included Banff, Lake Louise, Kelowna, Vancouver, and North Battleford(haha childhood memories). Feel free to check out my other reviews of hotels we stayed in.

Now for the review:
At first arriving at the Days Inn in Kelowna, we were greeted by very friendly desk staff who answered all of our questions very well and even threw in some nice chit-chat to make us feel comfortable. We mentioned that we had just driven in from Vancouver because we had abandoned our very bad hotel and the desk staff assured us that we wouldn't have the same problems as we did in Vancouver. She was right.

The room itself was very well decorated and homey(something that was quite a breath of fresh air for 2 young homesick travellers). There was all the amenities that would be expected for the price we paid.

The pool was very nice and clean and was very nice to jump into after +30 weather! And the jacuzzi was rather nice on the back after a busy day!

The continental breakfast was amazing! The best one I've ever had in a hotel. There was yogurt, muffins, bagels, toast, various juices and coffee.
There was also a few tables to sit at while you eat along with a television(with a dvd player I might add)

In conclusion, if you are looking for a nice, clean, cheap place to stay the night, STAY HERE! You can't beat the value! My girlfriend and I love Kelowna and we will return and will definitely stay here again!

• Stayed May 2005
6 Thank westcoastwonder
A TripAdvisor Member
Reviewed 1 September 2004

We stayed for 2 nights early August, and booked through Placestostay, and given the comparatively low price we paid, we expected the typical motel-grade room. I think the room itself turned out slightly better than I expected, a few minor things here and there, but I would recommend this motel if you're there for a short stay.

LOCATION: for those of you travelling to Kelowna for a holiday, you'll find yourself on HYW 97 most of the time where all the malls and restaurants are. Driving in to Kelowna from Vancouver, the motel is located a bit further east than most of the other chain motels (like Sandman, Ramada Inn, etc) but it's still very convenient to get to by car.

PARKING:
when we arrived in the afternoon, there seemed to be plenty of parking space available, but when we returned to the motel at about 10-11pm, the parking lot was absolutely FULL, nevermind finding a spot close to our room. (we circled for a bit and found only one spot left, and after taking that spot, we saw another car coming into the parking lot, wonder where they parked...)

LOBBY/RECEPTION:
- was small but functional, staff were courteous, provided limited help with local attractions
- an area that was supposedly the Breakfast Seating Area, was just 2 tables with a few chairs in the corner of the lobby next to a coffee pot
- plenty of brochures in two big racks, but to our disappointment, about 2/3 of the brochures were pamphlets for other Days Inn locations, not too much about the local tourist attractions.

ROOM:
- the 3 of us got a standard room with 2 queensized beds that had decent spacing around the beds/dressers. In terms of firmness I think the beds were soft-medium/medium. I prefer firm beds but these beds didn't bother me too much. The pillows drove me nuts though as they were very lumpy (you can literally feel individual cotton ball sized lumps against your face), but the killer was that I got the only lumpy pillow in the whole room, and didn't find out until the 2nd night. Bedsheets were clean, blanket seemed clean enough
- standard 25inch color tv with cable
- air-conditioning (much needed in Kelowna during the summer months) was a bit inconsistent throughout the night. it automatically shuts off once it hits the temperatur that you set it at, but then it doesn't turn on again until the temperature rises up quite a bit, so you get your blast of cold air for about 15 minutes, then nothing for an hour, repeat, rinse...
- standard bathroom (size wise, you can fit 2 standing adults with a little bit of space between you). The vanity area, sink and hair-dryer were conveniently outside of the bathroom (so it's part of your room) and there was plenty of space to put your toiletries and other stuff on the counter); plastic cups were provided, (I think there were glass tumblers too? Maybe not, I forgot)
- bathtub "looked" clean, I thought it was good enough for a motel; there was one of those removable rubber mats rolled up against the corner of the bathtub, but it didn't look particularly clean. We concluded that chances of slipping in the tub was worth the risk compared to catching a foot fungus, so we left it alone.
- the toilet seat had some kind of small brownish stain on the surface, but we concluded it was a cigarette burn mark, otherwise seemed ok-clean
- the small fridge wasn't cold at all when we first got there; we turned the temperature dial way up and it got a little colder, kind of a better-than-nothing cold temperature
- there wasn't an enclosed closet, just a hanger rack with those hangers that just have a tip that hooks on to the fixed attachments on the rack (are there even technical names for those things?!)
- hot running water, pressure was decent
- clean towels
- not too sure about the carpet, then again I wouldn't even trust the carpet in a five-star hotel
Overall room cleanliness was average.

FACILITIES:
- there was a small swimming pool, we didn't have time to try it out so I can't give much of an opinion on that area; I did see a couple of guest trotting into the lobby dripping along the way, and they seemed satisfied with the pool
- drink machines / ice maker available on each floor
- we used a luggage trolly that was just parked by the elevator to push some of our bags up to the room, but it was still outside our room in the evening (oops, were we suppose to return it?)
- were given two card-keys to the room, i overheard at the lobby that they don't charge you for a replacement card key; we left them in the room when we checked out, but they didn't ask us for them, so I assume they reset the whole thing and don't even recycle the cards, adding to the security
*** BREAKFAST*** BEWARE ***
ok, I'm highlighting this topic for a reason; their complimentary coffee/bagel continental breakfast is served at the Breakfast Lounge (remember the 2 tables in the corner of the lobby?), and I think they say it's available until 10 or 11, but MAKE SURE you get there EARLIER than 9. One of my friends went down to the lobby at about 9.30, and as he was helping himself to some coffee at the self-serve counter, he turned around to ask the other guests where the buns/bagels were. At that very same moment, a staff member decided that despite hearing a guest asking about breakfast, 9.32am was the FINAL cut-off time for all baked goods and quickly took away the whole tray of buns, and the rest of the guests exchanged rather amused looks as my friend watched his breakfast being whisked away from under his nose. SO, my advise is... get down to the lobby early if you want any kind of breakfast!!

All in all, I thought the place was ok, was a little surprised at first at the price quoted, but I think in general even the other motels in Kelowna are quite pricey.

6 Thank A TripAdvisor Member
A TripAdvisor Member
Reviewed 2 March 2003

Hey for a family of four you can not beat this value......Clean and the pool is one of the best in town....The only drawback is it is 10 mins or longer to the lake depending on traffic and time of day. Make sure you check out their golf specials.......The prices can't be beat. Rooms are fairly modern with a Southwestern tone to them. THIS HOTEL BLOWS SOME OF THE OTHERS IN TOWN OUT OF THE WATER............A big plus is there is no "bar" or beer store on premises so you can sleep soundly. CHECK IT OUT!!!! We have for the past 5 summers..

6 Thank A TripAdvisor Member