“Fantastic”

The Royal Anne Hotel
Ranked #8 of 34 Hotels in Kelowna
Reviewed 15 November 2013

Fabulous Hotel in downtown Kelowna. Our room had a fantastic view of the marina and still we were lucky to get a sunny day and blue sky completely. The reception was warm and the room very cozy. The breakfast room is also delicious. The location is excellent!

Room Tip: Ask for higher floors
  • Stayed: October 2013, travelled with friends

Reviewed 8 November 2013

I stayed two nights at the Royal Anne Hotel and both were equally enjoyable... the front desk staff were eager to help and very friendly... would recommend this hotel to anyone going to Kelowna. They have a lovely breakfast included which is a great time to meet and visit with other travellers.

Room Tip: if you are from a quiet rural setting I would recommend asking for a room not on the main street...
  • Stayed: November 2013, travelled on business
Reviewed 12 October 2013

I stayed at the Royal Anne Hotel for one night this October to attend a training workshop at the Delta Grand Okanagan. This is the first time I’ve ever stayed in Kelowna.

I came in early in the morning (around 7am) and asked whether I could get an early check-in. Although I couldn’t get checked in immediately, they did arrange to get me an early check-in when I came back at 11:30am. Jenny was very pleasant.

The hotel is apparently over 100 years old, but it’s been well maintained during it’s time. The lobby is a bit dated, and the hallway and room doors seemed a bit worn, but it was clean.
My room was on the 4th floor, right in front of the elevator. I did hear people outside a couple of times during the night, but it wasn’t too bad. Given that the hotel was full, I thought the hallway noise was minimal. The room was a good size with adequate space to put down luggage. Wireless internet was good for the most part, although I did experience it going down for a few minutes while I was working. Nothing special about the bathroom, except it seemed a bit dirty – the base of the toilet could have been cleaner (I could see water marks), there was crack in the floor tile, and the hair dryer seemed to have hair stuck in the vent – but was willing to overlook this because of the early check-in. I’ll give them the benefit of the doubt and assume it would’ve been cleaner if they had more time. The room does have a small fridge which was fairly quiet, but there is no room safe. The bed was comfortable enough. The TV was a good quality LG LCD TV mounted on the wall – but they don’t supply any dedicated HD channels. My room did face Bernard Street, which even on a quiet Oct Thursday evening could be quite noisy. I can only imagine how noisy it could be during the summer.

Free breakfast is included. Very basic – juice, tea, coffee, cereal, fruit, bread, oatmeal and few pastries and hard boiled eggs.

Checkout was fast. No issues.

Location of the hotel is excellent. It’s right in the centre of the activity and there’s a ton of good restaurants to pick from.

Given the fantastic price and excellent location, I would highly recommend this location if you want a basic hotel. I had the choice to stay at the Delta Okanagan for a $150/night conference rate, but was happier to stay at the Royal Anne for under $100 and save the $50 to spend on other things.

Room Tip: If you want quiet, ask for a room that doesn't face Bernard.
  • Stayed: October 2013, travelled on business
Reviewed 9 October 2013

You won't be disappointed,lovely,well maintained old hotel in the heart of downtown. Staff was friendly and eager to please. The price was really good for the quality of the rooms we got. Free secure parking underneath the hotel.

• Stayed: October 2013, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 7 October 2013

We booked online, knowing not what to expect from this 104 year-old hotel. We left with the feeling that the choice to stay at the Royal Anne Hotel could have been the omen to a great, flawless wedding weekend. This hotel has the appeal, comfort and cleanliness of any current, or newly constructed choice in the city with one wonderful exception, it's a hidden gem, with it's footprint firmly planted in the heart and soul of the beautiful city of Kelowna. The wonderfully framed photographs adorning the walls of this creatively redecorated lodging, takes you on a walk through time, history and a museum style pictorial journey. Walk out the front doors and you are immersed in a cultural sidewalk stage-show, different depending on the direction you choose to turn. You will find yourself in the middle of some of the best restaurants and eateries in the city, not to mention a one block walk to the south and you are on the boardwalk with the beaches, parks and marinas. A block to the west lands you at the Japanese Gardens, as well as the the museum and other historical amenities. A little further to the west and you can tour canneries and brewing companies. Just past that at the end of Ellis Is a Drive up Knox Mountain Dr. taking you to the most breath-taking views of the city and surrounding area atop Knox mountain, you will usually have deer within feet of your vehicle! The staff are very friendly and helpful. Free breakfast & elevators. We rate it a 10 out of 10.

Room Tip: Rooms on the back or west side are quieter than on the street side. An upgrade to an executive suite...
  • Stayed: October 2013, travelled as a couple
2  Thank Dana S
Reviewed 2 October 2013

A recent conference brought me to Kelowna, and a number of interesting experiences were had making my time both rewarding and interesting. After reading a number of helpful hotel property reviews by Trip Advisor contributors (thank you!), we opted for the Royal Anne Hotel (our conference hotel was unable to accommodate us). I remember it being on the main downtown street, and expected that there might be some noise. Having received the sage advice of my fellow contributors, I made my reservation accordingly.

The location was very convenient, and I truly enjoyed walking to my conference site, restaurants, shops and on the beautiful boardwalk along the lake. The staff were very friendly, and renovations are under way.

This is a budget hotel, so please do not expect doormen and bellhops, or room service. As well, if you have difficulties with carrying luggage up stairs, it is recommended that you ask your cab driver to please assist you to carry your bags to the lobby for check-in - it's worth a nice tip. You will also have to use the luggage cart to haul your bags to your room.

My room was modest but clean and tidy, and there were no issues other than the room mechanical system, which seems to be somewhat oversized for the room and very noisy. However, the good news is that it heated the room quickly, and I was able to shut it off and still be comfortable.

I particularly appreciated the morning continental breakfast bar, which was convenient and nicely stocked with hard boiled eggs, fruit, toast, muffins and danishes, coffee and cereals. Perfect for getting me going. The daily Globe & Mail newspaper is a nice addition to start one's morning, as is the flat screen TV with the national news.

The hotel we were to stay was a five star, and we cannot compare the two. Saying this, the rate was excellent and I considered it of very good value; albeit my colleagues were less impressed. The savings had by being able to walk most places, and the convenience of coffee shops and restaurants in easy walking distance definitely were a bonus. The staff were helpful, friendly, accommodating and professional. I would not hesitate to recommend it under the above conditions, and with a caveat that this is a three-star hotel, and not a five - gear expectations accordingly, and enjoy,

Room Tip: Specify that you wish a quiet room, and they will accommodate. The pub very close by can be a probl...
  • Stayed: September 2013, travelled on business
Reviewed 1 October 2013

We have always stayed at the Delta Grand Okanagan hotel while in Kelowna, however they were full this time, so we booked at The Royal Anne Hotel. From now on, we will be staying at this hotel. The price at Delta is more than 50% (Delta quoting $239.00 for standard room and Royal Anne quoting $99.00; our room is an executive suite and is absolutely huge and the quoted price is $109.00) less than the Delta and the rooms are much more spacious. The Delta is more updated, but the Royal Anne isn't badly furnished. Plus, as others have noted, the location is excellent. All you have to do is walk out the front door and you are smack dab in downtown and close to the lake. In point of fact, our room (large king with two balconies) had great lake views. True, the balconies are rather narrow, but they serve their purpose. Also, the parking is very limited. We are avoiding parking in the underground parking because it is difficult to find parking and if you do, it is difficult to angle your vehicle into the spot. Rather than hassle with that, we are now parking just behind the hotel in a designated parking lot that is owned by the hotel and provides free parking.

If you book at the Royal Anne, check for specials on line. They discount for AAA and Senior Citizens and so on. Also, I noticed in one of the brochures in the lobby that there is an advertisement for 15% off your price when booking.

Our room was on the third floor, looking towards the back (i.e., away from Bernard Ave.) and it was at the end of the hallway. It's super quiet and for those who care, the air conditioner works perfectly and actually cools the room with out shutting off. Loving it!

Room Tip: Room Tip: room 333 is a great pick with lake views and quiet surroundings; away from the elevator...
  • Stayed: October 2013, travelled on business