“Good Location - Good Value” 3 of 5 bubbles
Review of The Royal Anne Hotel

The Royal Anne Hotel
Ranked #8 of 34 Hotels in Kelowna
Calgary, Canada
“Good Location - Good Value”
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 21 August 2008

During our holiday to the south eastern part of BC (Creston and Nelson), my better half decided that she wanted to stop by Kelowna and see what all her friends were raving about (she has only been in Canada for four years and everyone told her she had to go there). I was not that interested, but gave in after a brief discussion. After looking on the internet for rooms, I decided to risk calling the Royal Anne and see if they had room (most other hotels were booked). I must admit that price was the primary motivator (rooms were 60 to 125 dollars less than other hotels). The reviews were mixed, but in my experience, I find that usually most people will really only comment when they are dissatisfied.

First, the good things. Location, location, location. You cannot get a better location unless you are on the beach. Good proximity to downtown, the park, the shops, the beach, and the night life. We walked from the hotel to all of the restaraunts both nights we stayed there. There are five or six good restaraunts within a block of the hotel. The hotel is older, but clean. The finishings are dated, but in good repair. We did not have a problem with either room we stayed in (more later). The continental breakfast which was included was more than adequate to get you started for the morning (fruit, pastry, toast, coffee, and juices). This hotel is a great location to be a base for your explorations of this great city.

This hotel is located where the action is. We found our first room (which was located facing the street) very noisy as there are several coffee shops and pubs located across from it. The partiers were impressive as the noise continued well into the early morning. As we did not sleep that well the first night, we asked for another room, and the management did get us another room not on the street. It was a significant difference. Parking is limited to about 15 underground spaces. We did not have any problems getting a spot, but we were there during the week and not on a weekend.

Kelowna is a terrific getaway city within driving distance of Calgary or Vancouver. If you enjoy being where the action is and enjoy the night life, this hotel is recommended. If you are looking for a quiet getaway, this may not be your cup of tea. The bottom line, I would stay here again.

• Liked — location
  • Disliked — noise
  • Stayed August 2008, travelled as a couple
1 Thank duffer222

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (100)
Calgary, Canada
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 11 August 2008

Well, only good thing about this place - location. Other than that - terrible. At first, their parking was full, so I had to park block and a half away in the public parkade, which is not really convinient with a small child. Good thing, that was weekend and parking was free. After that, when I was checking in they tried to charge me twice, I had to print out my credit card statement to prove my payment. Wireless internet in the room didn't work at all, so I had to go downstairs and use their computer. That wasn't really cool experience, especially knowing that the price was pretty high - 230 CAD per 2 queen beds room per night. I'm not even talking about that there wasn't a fridge in the room.

• Stayed August 2008, travelled with family
Oregon
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 10 July 2008

Should have booked online, would have saved about $30.00. Rooms are way overpriced, there was some kind of stain on the bottom side of the comforter, not sure if it was blood, feces, or what, bathroom sink was very slow to drain, trash cans were still full of previous tenants garbage,. When I informed management of this, they were totally indifferent and had no response. Location is the ONLY good thing about this property. I will never stay there again, nor will I recommend it to any one.

• Liked — leaving
  • Disliked — everything between check in and check out.
  • Stayed July 2008, travelled as a couple
Vancouver
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 1 July 2008

When we arrived, I was told that an equipment failure in the bathroom had rendered the room we were to be staying in unsuitable for human occupants and that we had a room in their "overflow" lodge, which was "across the back alley, over the pub". Imagine your worst nightmares about those two statements, and they pretty much describe the overflow rooms. After personally investigating the room and explaining to the desk clerk that "unacceptable" was the only word I could come up with that wasn't obscene, I asked if we could upgrade to another room. I was told that they were completely full. Since I had booked through Orbitz and prepaid, I was SOL for refunds, etc. Obviously it was too late to cancel with Orbitz. After I asked again if there was anything that could be done, she came up with solution - we were upgraded to their "Executive" room, so long as we were willing to pay the difference between my prepaid and their standard rate on the larger room. I accepted.

The rooms are clean, if not overly modern. In ours, at least, there were two skinny balconies, which was a nice touch. The bed was comfortable, which is what really counts. We didn't notice any of the noise that others have complained about on the first night.

The second night, however, we had noisy jerks in the room across from us. Yelling in the hall, slamming the door, etc. - when I complained, the situation was quickly dealt with (after 30 minutes of the noise continuing, they were evicted from the hotel).

When we went to check out, I was informed that the manager had heard of our situation and had waived the extra fee for the larger rooms, which was an extremely pleasant surprise. I can say that we will definitely stay at the Royal Anne again, since its location is incredible, the staff seems to be very helpful and it seems that the manager understands the meaning of "customer service".

• Liked — Location
  • Disliked — A/C was weak
  • Stayed June 2008, travelled as a couple
Derbyshire
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 14 June 2008

Convenient, superb location. OK that's the good bit over, we arrived a little early to be told that check in was at 3.00pm. No problem, left the car on a meter & took a walk around the locality. Called back at 2.30 to ask if it was OK to leave the car on the parkade, to be told our room was ready & we could check in now. Looking good, parked, checked in and went up to the room. If that was the room after it had been cleaned it must have been in a really dire state before. Percolator was full of previous occupants coffee, room and most of the public areas were just generally scruffy and run down. Staff were at best surly, no one said a word to us between checking in and out (do they teach them not to respond to greetings?) On going down for breakfast, almost everything needed refilling and no sign of any staff on hand. We just gave up &checked out. Of six canadian hotels we stayed in on this trip, this was the only none chain hotel. They ought to look at what the chains are doing right. It's quite sad that to support a local business yiu have to suffer inferior service & facilities

• Liked — Location
  • Disliked — Everything else
  • Stayed May 2008, travelled as a couple
    • 2 of 5 bubbles
managerkelowna, Hotel Manager at The Royal Anne Hotel, responded to this review, 10 July 2008
Please accept my sincere apology for all the problems and difficulties you encountered during your stay at the Royal Anne Hotel in the month of May 2008.

We at the Royal Anne Hotel, are continually striving to improve on our guest experience and actively seek feedback by calling guests within 15 minutes of checking in, upon check out and via guest comment cards. We do this in order to make informed improvements to our service or facilities and strive for 100% guest satisfaction.

I can assure you that since I was appointed the Hotel Manager, February 1 2008, I have not had or read such comments, such as yours. These types of comments are extremely disturbing to me, as we have failed to provide to you, our guest, the appropriate service you so rightfully deserve. There may be numerous reasons for this type of situation to happen but we do require exact dates of your check in and checkout in order to accurately assess what caused these failures to occur. Regardless, any reason for these failures would not be acceptable to me but more importantly not to you.

As I stated above, we depend on guest feedback to let us know if there is anything wrong, whether that would be with cleanliness, mechanical or of service in nature. This helps us correct or rectify a particular situation immediately, before you, our guest leave the hotel with a negative impression.

Once again, please accept my apologies. If you happen to read this, I would be most interested in speaking with you directly and do whatever we need to do in helping reassure your confidence in our normal high standards.
I may be reached at 1 888-811-3400.

Tim Mather
Okanagan Valley
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 3 June 2008

The first thing you notice when you enter the Hotel is the beautiful marble floor!!! The Front Desk staff are courteous, professional and very welcoming. Up to my room.......Wow!! What a view of the Okanagan Lake!! Out on my "very private" balcony I watched people coming and going from the Marina and the Casino, which is only a couple of blocks away. The air conditioning was a godsend, as it was a very hot day. My room was clean and comfortable and quiet. Another bonus which I found very comforting is the secured underground parking. My overall rating for the Royal Anne Hotel is a 10 out of 10.
All that and a free breakfast!!! I highly recommend this hotel.

• Liked — view and security
  • Disliked — TV
  • Stayed May 2008, travelled on business
East of England
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 21 May 2008

Stayed here for one night only as part of a coach tour programme. Hotel a little old fashioned but clean and comfortable with friendly staff. Very well located for restaurants and the lake (2 mins away). We had a great meal at Earls restaurant on the lake's edge, which served great food.
Ideal for a stop over, the Royal Anne was good value, but could do with a facelift decoration wise.

• Stayed May 2008