“great stay at Sandman”

Ranked #19 of 34 Hotels in Kelowna
Vancouver, Canada
“great stay at Sandman”
Reviewed 4 August 2011

Went to the Sandman for 3 days in july. We booked a 1- bedroom apt and we were 2 adults and 2 kids under 3 (we had my 3 year old sleep on the floor on a blanket which was fine and my 6 month old in her own small portable bed) . The new tower is where you want to stay. Here is my review:

Pros
- Room was very well decorated.
- Fridge, microwave, dishwasher and all utensils and dishes.
- balcony
- AC
- TV in room and in the living area.
- very Spacious
- Free Wii
- Great location - right across the street from Orchard mall and restaurants
- Pool and Dennys right in hotel

Cons
- not walking distance to beach
- parking was busy but that is because we were there during the long weekend

I would for sure stay here again.

• Stayed July 2011, travelled with family

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (106)
Victoria, Canada
Reviewed 30 July 2011

I spent 6 nights at the Sandman Kelowna while on business. I was booked into the tower so I can't comment on the other rooms. The hotel is poorly laid out and navigating from the from desk to the tower is more difficult then it should be. The tower itself is new so all of the in room features are modern. The internet signal was very weak in my room which forced me to go to the business centre. Uinfortunately, the business centre was near the front desk and very loud/distracting. In closing I am sure there are better hotels in the area for the same price.

• Stayed July 2011
Edmonton, Canada
Reviewed 28 July 2011

Wow, I really appreciated the service and ammenities at this Sandman Hotel location. I stayed in the new tower, and really liked the huge king bed. I worked out in the new fitness center/pool, which was even better than the gym I go to back home. The restaurant is also in the same building, so it's a one-stop-for-everything hotel right on the main street in Kelowna. I would recommend this excellent hotel for anyone coming to Kelowna for either business or vacation!

Room Tip: ask to stay in the new tower!
  • Stayed July 2011, travelled on business
Saskatoon, Canada
Reviewed 28 July 2011

First of all our room was on the second floor and there is NO elevators! The only reason I gave the service a 2 was because one guy helped us ip the stairs with our bags. Second our room was so small we couldn't fit all our luggage in it. Third the room was obviously not cleaned well since we found a beer bottle and cherry pits in the bathroom garbage. Fourth the tub was so gross that I wouldn't bath my infant son. Will definitely never stay there again especially for $200/night!!

• Stayed July 2011
Calgary
Reviewed 17 July 2011

Older hotel with newer tower addition, in great location across from the Orchard Park Mall in central Kelowna. Thought the prices were steep at $189/night for a double queen standard until we saw it. The older portion of the hotel is VERY dated, and other than this being a long weekend stay can't imagine why people would pay these rates for this old hotel. We were upgraded to a King suite in the Tower (because someone wanted the old queen double room), and the Tower room was terrific. I have no idea what the Tower room was going for, but suggest you look elsewhere if you're expecting a nice clean updated room in the older section of the hotel, because the rooms are dark, old, and smell of indoor pool.

Room Tip: ask to stay in the tower section or choose another hotel
1 Thank WalleyGog
Calgary, Canada
Reviewed 12 July 2011

Upon arrival things seemed to be fine. Check in was smooth and the gal at the front desk was friendly. It was after that, that things slowly fell apart.

If I knew I had to carry luggage up stairs I probably would re-thought my suitcase and travelled with something lighter. Who knew that only the tower rooms had access to an elevator. Are you kidding me??? Good thing that I work out often.

The Friday night I felt like I was on a University dorm floor. My floor was party central! At about 11:30 the partying began and I needed to call down to the front desk to notify them. I am not sure if they did anything about it as I turned up my AC to bring the screaming down in the hallway.

The next morning I decided to brew some coffee. They provide coffee makers in the rooms and I put mine to use - at least I tried to. I could not remove the pot from the maker. Finally, it pulled loose. Well my oh my - I don't think it has been cleaned in weeks .. or maybe months. The burner itself was disgusting and the pot, well it was filled with grounds and dried up coffee. LOVELY. I decided to have a look at the filter compartment. Completely caked in coffee grounds. Whoever stayed there last (who knows when that was) decided to open the paper filter and pour the grounds in instead of placing it completely intact in the coffee maker. I could not believe that housekeeping would not check this and began to think what else was missed. I decided that thinking about it was not smart as I began to itch all over. At that point I showered and got ready and then took my disgusting coffee pot down to the front desk.

The gal at the desk saw the pot and asked me - "Is you coffee pot not working?" My reply - "I am sure it is." I proceeded to remove the pot from the maker and open the filter compartment. The look on her face was priceless. She returned with a brand-spankin' new coffee pot and we received breakfast (two - $10.00 vouchers) at Denny's. She did apologize and felt bad.

The following evening, I needed to make a local call. I dialed "9", but then the voice told me that I could not make a local call. I found this a little odd. I wanted to use the hotel and not my cell phone as my roaming charges would have been alot higher than the $.50 the hotel was going to charge me. I called the front desk to find out what was going on. The gal that answered the phone was not sure why I could not dial out and told me that maybe I was not allowed to make a local call. Pardon?!? Not allowed to make a local call? That does not even make sense. I told her that I did not want to use my cell because it would be expensive. She said she would chat with her manager and get back to me right away. I asked her to leave me a message as we were heading out for dinner and wanted to make the call when I returned.

Two hours later --- no message. I then used my cell phone. I can not wait to get my bill.

That night -- party central once again! I know its not the hotel's fault, but come on! I called the front desk and they did have security come and I heard him yell at them.

The next morning I needed to make another local call. Well, I thought I would give the front desk another call. The guy that answered said- "Definitely, I will turn that service on for you." Pardon? You just have to touch a button and I get to make local calls? Wow. Apparently the girl that I chatted with the night before was new and did not know how to push a button. What amazes me is that she also does not know how to ask someone how to push it and get back to her customers.

After my local call, I looked through my window down at the pool. I began to wonder about the cleanliness of this pool. I own a hot tub and I know that clear water is something that you want. I am guessing that a murky green pool is not good. Do not swim in this pool. They should probably close it down, drain it, clean it, refill and treat properly.

As I was looking down into the lovely green pool, I happened to see a guy getting out. He proceeded to wrap a towel around himself. Within seconds, he was removing his suit and trying to keep his towel on. Oops - moon number one! Then he decided to try and get his underwear on. Oops - moon number two! UGH!! C'mon buddy! There are washrooms right there! As he was attempting to get his shorts on, he saw him watching. I think he was stunned. What amazes me is that there are MANY rooms overlooking the indoor pool. Obviously he wanted to be checked out.

As I checked out that morning, I notified the front desk of the Stripper at the pool area and they knew of my other issues and I got $$ off my total bill.

Bottom line, I will NEVER stay at this hotel again. There were a group of us staying there and that is why I decided to book. If I would have read the reviews here first, I would have reserved somewhere else.

3 Thank mer1970
Edmonton
Reviewed 12 July 2011

While vacationing in Kelowna on the Canada Day weekend my family stayed at the Sandman Hotel Kelowna. Although the staff was friendly and most accommodating, I have to say the property is in desperate need of an update. The rooms, hallways and pool area are all run down (ie. pool towel shortages, tub & sink enamel chipping, painting required throughout, TV not working). This combined with the ever constant smell of cigarette smoke from the smoking rooms below us made for a very disappointing experience. Sadly this makes us wonder about the condition of other Sandman properties.

Stayed June 2011, travelled with family