“Very interrupted sleep!”

Ranked #19 of 34 Hotels in Kelowna
Surrey, Canada
“Very interrupted sleep!”
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 25 August 2013

Whilst the reception met my expectations and they were very helpful getting us into our room three hours before check-in and also helping carry boxes from my car to their storage room, our experience was very tainted by an interrupted sleep caused by several madmen under the influence solving ALL of the world's problems in the parking lot outside our room. This is not good!

Room Tip: I would advise not to choose a room on the ground floor as throughout the night there were numerous...
  • Stayed August 2013, travelled with family
1 Thank Bob S
KelownaManager, General Manager at Sandman Hotel & Suites Kelowna, responded to this review, 10 September 2013
Dear Guest,
Thank you for your feedback via Tripadvisor. We are pleased to hear that our front desk team were helpful with your check in and arrival but disappointed to hear that your sleep was interrupted by disrespectful individuals in the parking lot.
Our team at the front desk is normally very diligent in following up with individuals that are not respecting the peace and comfort of our guests so if you reported this disturbance to the front desk staff and they were not effective in resolving it for you we apologize.
Again, thank you for taking the time to provide your feedback. I hope you will stay with us again in future and we will have the opportunity to provide a more restful experience.

Regards,

Kelly Watt,

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (99)
Victoria, Canada
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 21 August 2013 via mobile

I stayed here for one night on a quick business trip. After a quick and efficient check-in, I went to my room. It reeked like cigar smoke. When I went back to the front desk to ask for a change, I asked of all the rooms were non-smoking. The semi-helpful girl said that some people choose to ignore the rules. Fine.... But clean it up first!

Stayed in room 208.

The Wi-fi is an embarrassment, and they should not even offer it. I was unable to do even 5mins of work at anytime, even 6am. Don't stay here if you are on a working trip and need wi-fi use. For shame, Sandman.

A/C unit was an embarrassment too. Turned it on when I came in, only got cool the next morning when I was leaving.

Chop Steakhouse was good, amazing looking staff and good food. Located attached to hotel.

Spend a little money more and skip this hotel of staying in Kelowna.

1 Thank Verbz
Dear Guest,
Thank you for taking the time to provide your valuable and constructive stay at our hotel. We are very sorry to hear that your experience was not a positive one as our goal is always to increase our growing number of regular return guests, both for business or leisure travel.
We are sorry to hear that your initial check in was to a room that had been smoked in and not appropriately rehabilitated before your arrival. While our hotel is a non-smoking one there are times that guests don't respect this and as you have correctly stated, there is a process that is to be followed to bring the room back to an inhabitable environment. We have addressed this with our housekeeping team and insured they have the appropriate equipment and training to do this properly.
Although we have had a number of equipment upgrades over the past few years in order to keep up with the increasing load of electronic devices on our internet service, as you experienced, it was not meeting the needs of our guests. We have had our Internet Technology division working with our Internet provider and Internet Equipment Support company to come up with an effective and long term solution for both our business and leisure travelers. I am pleased to say that the upgrades are being implemented at this time and they have advised us that the first phase of the upgrade will be in place and improving the internet service as of the middle of September and the long term comprehensive solution will be in effect at the end of September. I hope you will reconsider giving us another try in order to evaluate our follow up to our guest feedback with regard to internet service.
I would like to also apologize that your air conditioning was not working adequately at the time of your stay. We have had our maintenance team investigate following your feedback but we regret that this was not resolved for you while you were here to insure your comfort at the time.
We are glad you enjoyed Chop Steakhouse while you stayed here.

I would like to thank you again for your time and your feedback. Our guest comments are very important to us in insuring we are meeting our guest needs and we sincerely hope you will consider us again for future accommodations so that we can demonstrate our commitment to following up on our guest's feedback.

Regards,

Kelly Watt,

Travellers are raving about these Kelowna hotels

Winnipeg, Canada
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 17 August 2013

Just returned from a 4 day stay at this hotel. Started off with balcony door being unlocked when I first arrived and hair in the bathroom. The next night there was no water in any of the vending machines and had to go to the front desk to get some. The following morning, went to the fitness center and arrived to a boiling hot workout room and no water in the water jugs, the a/c wasn't working. That night returned to find both my key cards didn't work and the radio on in my room (I don't listen to the radio, why would the radio be on?????). The next evening when I returned my balcony door was left wide open (why??????)! Thank goodness I was on the 6th floor because I'm sure all my belongings would have been taken. I went down the to the front desk to complain and supposedly they made some notes in the system but when I went to check out the next day, there was nothing mentioned (no surprise there). Also, my room was never really cleaned, the sheets were just put back on the bed and it was never vacuumed my whole stay - lots of hair in the bathroom (mine but still should have been swept up). Also, when I first arrived there was white crumbs on the carpet outside my room, they were there my whole stay, the hallway was never cleaned. There were 2 elevators and only 1 worked the entire stay (not sure why this was not fixed) . Would never, ever, ever stay at this hotel again. I cannot even rate this a '1' it was that bad.

• Stayed August 2013, travelled on business
Fort Saskatchewan, Canada
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 16 August 2013

A great place to stay when in Kelowna. We stayed here for one night but would not stay here. The room was clean but it was small for two people and had nothing special to offer. Still it was pretty full we had to stay in their separate building...given our key cards didn't work it was pain to walk all the way around the main building to get the keys re done. There was not enough parking for everyone they had reserved in the hotel so we ended up having to drag our bags across the parking lot.
Probably will not be staying here or recommend it.

• Stayed July 2013, travelled as a couple
Hong Kong, China
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 12 August 2013 via mobile

I was surprised when the front desk told me that I have to take the stairs to get up to the third floor. The reception was on the second floor. Thank goodness I did not have a lot of luggages.

When I got to my room, the windows opened into the balcony of an adjoining unit. That meant the drapes would stay closed for our entire stay.

The other room we had opened into the enclosed small swimming pool and across from the gym. That meant the drapes would remain shut as well during our stay to protect our privacy.

I am sure you can stay at better hotels with more access to sunlight. Afterall, it is Kelowna and you expect to see sunshine.

1 Thank Jayteekay
Calgary
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 10 August 2013 via mobile

Here for a wedding in August. Weather was very good and the location is very good for this hotel. Across the street from the mall with many options for dining and fast food within walking distance. As far as the hotel. There are two parts, one being the tower which is the newest, however King suites, so if you need two beds you are stuck in the old part. As we sit here this has to be the worst air conditioning system in any hotel I have ever stayed in. It is 83 degrees in the hallway! The rooms in the older part have been renovated however you can see lots more is needed. Bathrooms still require upgrades and the rooms are super small for a family of four. If you request a cot as we did, be prepared to receive three cushions for the floor, that's it. My teenager was not impressed to say the least. Made service is certainly not the friendliest, however working in a hallway that's 83 degrees how happy would anybody be!!!

1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 10 August 2013

We stayed here on August 8th, the hotel in general is not clean, not to mention our sheets, blankets, coffee maker, bathroom floor, frame of patio doors, dust on lamps and furniture. We called down for new sheets, we had to put them on ourselves, upon changing the sheets we notices the one pillow was badly stained and the top blanket has bodily fluids on it. We called down again and the person that helped us told us there was no blankets or pillows left. It was a pleasant surprise to find clean ones in the shelf of the closet. Having said all of that we talk with front desk in the morning and they did give us a small discount. We do not recommend this hotel.