Once upon a time, Lake Okanagan Resort, was the best in the Okanagan. Their buffet touted a dessert bar that spanned what seemed like forever, omelet stations, huge carving stations with the most amazing gorgeous cuts of meat, crepes, pancakes, waffles .... it was an absolute treat to have the chance to eat there ... boy how things have changed.
I took my Mom to the Mother's Day brunch this morning, and boy, there is A LOT of work to be done.
In no particular order, here is what made this trip a "so bad it was laughable" experience.
Instead of hosting the brunch in the beautiful dining room I remember from my fond childhood memories of this once exquisite resort, we were downstairs in the "cabana" and 'banquet room".
Understaffed and quite possibly under experienced staff who did not know how to provide a quality experience to the guests. Upon our arrival one guest pointed out that the hostess had all of the credit card information for those with reservations sitting on the podium for anyone to see or easily take. Would you like some more coffee? Don't count on it! Special requests? Sorry, the kitchen is too busy!! The looks that one poor couple received from the other patrons after they managed to score some whipping cream after hounding the staff, could've killed.
The food: soggy bacon, chewy but extremely dry waffles, crepes without filling, runny "summer camp style" eggs, undercooked sausage, sub par and small cuts of meat for the carving station, "Costco"-esque pies and bars for the dessert table, some sort of wretched looking seafood lasagne that was so runny Gordon Ramsey may have dropped dead at its very sight, yoplait yogurt cups (not sure how these fit in the buffet?), lumpy and overcooked eggs benny, and other subpar specialties.
The only good thing this buffet had going was a humble little fruit platter, and the satisfactory cubed hashbrowns.
At $27.95 a head, I had high expectations. The brunch at Lake Okanagan used to boast "The Best", this buffet is about as satisfying as the free breakfast buffet you get when staying at 2.5 star hotels. But wait, there wasn't toast, jam , whipping cream, fruit toppings, or the other things that you get at a 2.5 star hotel free breakfast bar! So, worse than that?
EVERYTHING WAS COLD. We were at the 9 am seating for the brunch, and arrived before the brunch was ready to be served. As one of the first few through the line, our food should have been toasty hot, but sadly it was not. I saw numerous plates go back in the kitchen to have their food heated up. Ridiculous!!!
One of the patrons ahead of me said they wouldn't pay for their brunch, because they didn't eat any. No kidding!
It really was one pathetic excuse for a brunch. I feel TERRIBLE for families who came as a special treat, who normally don't have breakfasts out. They must've felt heartbroken that their meal was so costly, so disgusting and awful. I'm lucky that my Mom and I were able to laugh it off as the WORST, and go for Tim Hortons afterwards.
Management, time to get a grip. If you're going to serve horrible food, offer it at a price that warrants a horrible buffet.
At this rate, this place will be out of business in the next two years.
- Official Description (provided by the hotel):
- Lake Okanagan Resort is located on 300 acres of mountainside parkland on the West Shore of beautiful Okanagan Lake, just 20 minutes from downtown Kelowna.Lake Okanagan Resort is the Kelowna's "true destination Resort. The resort has its own 9 hole executive par 3 golf course, lit tennis courts, hot tubs, resort store, renovated meeting space, restaurants, lounge, seasonal pools, spa, upgraded suites (all with kitchen facilities) and premier villas, beach and brand new marina.The resort welcomes families, couples, groups, conferences, retreats and is perfect for beach weddings. ... more less
- Reservation Options:
- TripAdvisor is proud to partner with Expedia, Hotels.com, Booking.com, TripOnline SA, Evoline ltd, HotelQuickly, Cancelon and Ebookers so you can book your Lake Okanagan Resort reservations with confidence. We help millions of travellers each month to find the perfect hotel for both holiday and business trips, always with the best discounts and special offers.
- Also Known As:
- Lake Okanagan Hotel Kelowna
- Lake Okanagan Kelowna
- Lake Okanagan Resort Kelowna, Okanagan Valley, Canada