“Disappointed”

Ranked #30 of 34 Hotels in Kelowna
Kelowna, Canada
“Disappointed”
Reviewed 9 June 2014

My fiancé booked a 2 day stay at the resort for a much needed get away. He had also booked a massage in the spa for me which was excellent. We were hungry at this time and there was nothing open. The poolside bar had closed for the day and the restaurants weren't open. We then went to the lounge and was told that we would have to wait as the chef's weren't there yet. I purchased some nuts at their very limited store inside building you check into. Later we were able to have some dinner, there was one other couple in the entire dining room. The food was pretty good. My Fiancé had purchased the Jacuzzi suit,, so looking forward to a that, but it didn't work. We called down to the front desk, where only young people work and told us they would put in a work order for it on Monday. The next morning we had breakfast and went down to the pool to relax, we were just thinking that this might not have been such a bad experience when before we knew it we were literally inundated with many many sets of parents with young boys, The parents and kids were completely dressed for dinner but ran for the lounge chairs around the pool, having kids sit on them to hold them for more parents coming. The 4 couples who were actually using the pool since we had stayed at the resort were suddenly swarmed. reducing one older couple to have to sit away from the pool and another 2 couples having to sit in upright hard chairs while these mom's sat, in their dresses on the pool lounge chairs. I asked the young female bar tender what was going on, and that I didn't think this was right. She told me they were paying guests too. I found out later that they were a bunch of hockey kids and their families who had paid to use the amenities for the time they were there?? It was a gong show! We decided to leave, but before doing so, I made sure our lounge chairs went to the couples staying at the resort, I told the sales and catering coordinator as she met us coming up the stairs, that I was so very disappointed in this stay. She told me that this is the way they do things. We suggested that in the future they let us know that this is happening, but I can see why they don't since we wouldn't have booked there. We also considered this place for our upcoming nuptials, but now that is not going to be a place we choose to get married or stay!

Room Tip: Ask if Jacuzzi is actually working, and bring your own food
  • Stayed June 2014, travelled as a couple
2 Thank Barb B
DOS001, Director of Sales at Lake Okanagan Resort, responded to this review, 12 June 2014
Good Morning,

I hope your travels home went well. I was happy to see that you did follow up with me via email, thank you for this.

Once again I am sorry to hear that you did not enjoy your stay at the resort. I did follow up with our Front Desk Agents as well as our Front Desk Manager and I am happy to hear that they gave you 50% off of your accommodation rate for the inconvenience of the unexpected Jacuzzi maintenance issue. I also was happy to hear that they offered to move you into one of our beautiful five star Three Bedroom Villas whose rack rate is $449 plus tax per night. I am sorry that you did not take them up on this offer but I do understand that you probably would not want to move your things to another room. In our Manager’s Meeting today we will be discussing the purchase of brand new Jacuzzi’s for these suites.

I also would like to address the fact that you felt that I was only telling you “the way we do things” in regards to the busy amenities situation. That was not my intentions at all. In fact I really appreciated the discussion we had on your idea of having a whole separate pool area for leisure guests and a separate pool area for event or group guests. This idea of yours would allow us to continue to meet our paying leisure guest’s expectations of a relaxing weekend while also meeting our paying event/group guests who are rewarding themselves for a long hard dedicated year towards their career goals. As I had mentioned to you on Sunday I will be proposing this great idea in our Manager’s Meeting today for us to put on the schedule for our three year renovation plan.

Kind Regards,

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (139)
Faulconbridge, New South Wales, Australia
Reviewed 6 June 2014

Arrived in the middle of may and played spot the other guests , lunch was an affair with 2 couples having lunch which was pretty ordinary ,bad ambiance poorly maintained resort that took ages to get to on a very bad road...given a 2 star room and not any information about the shuttle service that apparently runs ...wont be going back any time soon do yourself a favour and drive a bit further to the summerland resort that one was amazing...!!!!!

Room Tip: ask for the new building not offered to us at all
  • Stayed May 2014, travelled as a couple
1 Thank Jane G
Edmonton, Alberta
Reviewed 25 May 2014

I had originally booked to go here with my parents, but due to my father unexpectedly passing away a few days before we went, we had to cancel. I had booked my room through Expedia and had no troubles cancelling. My mom who had booked through a timeshare was not treated with the same respect and the lady at the resort who she talked to made her feel bad for not calling sooner (?!?). Given the situation I would expect the person to be at least courteous, but she made an already bad situation awful and was rude. My mom was not trying to get money back, but calling the resort as a courtesy to let them know she would not be checking in. I would encourage management to talk with their reception/customer service about this and how to deal with emotional situations in the future.

• Stayed May 2014, travelled with family
1 Thank ExcitedforCuba789
DOS001, Director of Sales at Lake Okanagan Resort, responded to this review, 30 May 2014
I am very sorry that you did not have a very good customer service experience regarding your timeshare reservation. With that being said while currently all timeshare reservations are handled by the individual timeshare company, such as RCI for example, we are looking forward to soon handling all of the timeshare reservations our self and on site. We hope that in the future you will have a much nicer experience when communicating directly with the resort regarding your timeshare reservation.
Reviewed 25 May 2014

Stayed here for a week as timeshare exchange. Lovely location IF you want to use it as a destination resort (bring groceries, long way to stores) but if you want to go anywhere e.g. wineries, shopping it is a tiresome 36 km return trip to Kelowna's only bridge into town on a long and winding road. Unit in condo bldg we stayed in had the absolute cheapest of everything, bare minimum kitchen, cobwebs galore in the light fixtures and nobody had touched the top of the fridge for some months to clean it apparently as there was an astounding variety of food particles living there. Minimal to no insulation between units so we were at the mercy of the next door neighbours who were happily quiet (apart from the snoring that can be heard through the bedroom wall between units) until our last day when a new lot arrived whose speciality appeared to be running up and down the stairs, slamming cupboards and boards such that our side was literally shaking, and it sounded like a thunderstorm. This went on long past the quiet hour of 11 pm. - had to keep doors closed due to gathering out on the patio basically right outside my window - glad they were having a good time but I had a long drive the next day and wanted some zzzz's. When I called the front desk I was told to call back after 11 pm. and security would handle it - as there is only one phone this necessitated a return trip downstairs the next time I was awoken, which cemented being awake for the next hour....
Fitness room very basic indeed for the size of the place and unusable as no ventilation - like exercising in a sauna.
In summary, this felt like an old style motel that has been minimally looked after, not worth the exchange or anything near the rates charged per day. Front staff were mostly pleasant and helpful and one hopes for their sakes the recent ownership change will result in much needed physical improvements. For a start, demolish the condo blocks and start again on this site.
Loved Kelowna and surrounds but will NOT be back here.

Room Tip: DO NOT STAY IN THE CONDO UNITS unless you are hard of hearing or you will share everything with your...
  • Stayed May 2014, travelled with family
DOS001, Director of Sales at Lake Okanagan Resort, responded to this review, 28 May 2014
I am sorry that you did not enjoy your stay. I will most certainly follow up with housekeeping with the issues that you have had. Unfortunately, we were not aware of your concerns during your visit for we could have best accommodated them.

Thank you for your review, your opinion is important to us as we will do our best to improve the quality of your future stays at our soon to be upgraded resort.
Summerland, Canada
Reviewed 15 May 2014

Our place of work booked the Okanagan Lake Resort for a staff retreat. At the time it was off season and the restaurant was closed. This did not stop the Chef and the catering staff from going above and beyond to provide us with amazing meals and service. Kaitlyn Bolder, the Sales & Catering Coordinator was a pleasure to work with, she went above and beyond to work within our budget. She was very flexible and accommodating in not just matching but actually beating a special rate offered by a nearby competitor and even threw in 9 holes of golf for 10 of us!. The accommodations offered great services, a breathtaking view and the rooms were clean, fresh and had very comfortable beds.! We made great use of the spa services and were impressed with their ability to fit us all in addressing our individual needs. We would not hesitate to use this venue for future personal or business ventures.

• Stayed April 2014, travelled on business
Castle Pines, Colorado
Reviewed 14 May 2014

This is in a good location that is a little further out of Kelowna, good if you have a family or just don't feel like going in to Kelowna every day. the kitchen had plenty of cooking gear and plates/cups/etc. so there is no reason to go out for every meal which is good if you have kids to put to bed or just don't want to spend all of your money on restaurant dining.
This villa was a good price, room was nice and had a fantastic view. There was also a little shop at the front office where you could pick up small items and snacks.
The only negative was the walkway to the villas is right outside the two back bedrooms which was a little noisy at times.
We stayed in the three bedroom villa and it was brilliant. The view from the room was lovely and the villa was large, clean and well layed out. Quick walk to the pool and down to the water. The road out to the hotel is long but well maintained. There are deer and big horned sheep on the road so you have to watch out for them.

Room Tip: Stay in the villas!
  • Stayed April 2014, travelled with family
Sherwood Park, Canada
Reviewed 13 May 2014

We like going to LOR during the first week in May - Spring Okanagan Wine Festival. Stay for a week and always book room #561 in the Terrace building. It is one of the older buildings. The main reason we like LOR is that it is very quiet and peaceful at that time of year. Some folks may complain about the road to the resort, the last three years it was voted/ranked the worst road in BC, but hell we are on vacation and not in a hurry. Only 20 minutes from the nearest winery!

It was a nice surprise to walk into our room this year and see that there was new living room furniture, flat screen TV and DVD player. As well as new outdoor furniture and BBQ's on the patio. We choose the same unit each year because it's entrance is on the ground floor and the terrace gives lots of outdoor space and fabulous views of the lake.

The par 3, 9 hole golf course will EAT YOU UP. It is in decent shape and you will get your exercise, especially on the last three holes. Daily we would walk the trails and get a good cardio workout. Pool & restaurant were not open yet, but we ate in our room as it has a fully equipped kitchen and we did enjoy the hot tub.

Overall the resort is "tired", but there is some money being spent on upgrades. However, the peace and quiet and tranquility offset any issues. Finally .... always comfortable beds.

Room Tip: If you are staying in the older section of the resort, stay in the Terrace unit 5th floor. Rooms 561...
  • Stayed May 2014, travelled as a couple
DOS001, Director of Sales at Lake Okanagan Resort, responded to this review, 15 May 2014
Thank you for your review. I am glad to hear that each year you have such a nice time at the resort!

If you are in the area again please feel free to stop by for our Vantage Pointe Lounge & Grille is now open and featuring a new menu from our World Famous Executive Chef! Chef Dean Hossack is actually the Manager of Team BC in the Culinary Olympics.

On behalf of Lake Okanagan Resort, we look forward to welcoming you and your family back to your home, away from home.