“A lovely Place to Stay”

Joyce House Bed & Breakfast
We can't find prices for this accommodation
Our online travel partners don't provide prices for this accommodation, but we can search other options in Kelowna
Joyce House Bed & Breakfast
Ranked #29 of 49 Kelowna B&B and Inns
Reviewed 13 October 2013

We stayed at Joyce House (Peggy's Room) in September and it really was a delight. Judy and Keith are fantastic hosts and made us feel very welcome, it really did feel like a home away from home.

We particularly enjoyed the breakfasts, which were all home cooked based on our own preferences. Judy made some particularly enjoyable pear butter their French toast was sensational!

The location is fantastic; in the heart of the historic area, only a short walk from Downtown as well as the beach.

If you are looking for a homely place to stay which is centrally located we highly recommend this B&B.

• Stayed: September 2013, travelled as a couple
4  Thank David_S_B85

Reviewed 6 August 2013

Judy and Keith were very interesting, helpful hosts and we loved their charming, historic B & B. It is centrally located and close to everything. Judy's breakfasts were awesome, the food was great, and each was different every day. Our accommodation was very clean and perfect for our needs. We liked the touch of using family for the room names (with pictures on the walls), it gave the rooms real character. We stayed 4 nights and would go back anytime.

Room Tip: All rooms have private bath but not all have an ensuite if this is important to you.
  • Stayed: July 2013, travelled as a couple
1  Thank C A
Reviewed 29 July 2013

I recently spent 2 nights at the Joyce House B&B. Judy and Keith were extremely accommodating of our big group (10 adults). They went out of their way to ensure we had what we needed. Great location. Breakfast was tasty. We all loved sitting out of the verandah at night and for our breakfast.

Stayed: July 2013, travelled with friends
Reviewed 25 July 2013

I picked this B and B to stay at because it was close to a race site for a race that I was doing, looked good from the website description and because it had reasonable rates. I was greeted by the owners who were sitting on the verandah having their dinner when I arrived. My room was on the second floor (I think all rooms are) up a narrow staircase - keep in mind that this is a renovated heritage house that was formerly a hostel for young women at the turn of the century, so doorways and staircases tend to be narrower than normal. The house was cool (even though it was a very hot summer day) and my room was called Annie's room - it is on the NE side of the house. The decor is in keeping with the heritage - antique furniture, lace, velvets, old photos (of the house and former owners) on the walls. The current owners restored the house to it's current state, and won an award for doing so. Annie's room is about 10 ft x 12 ft and has a very small bathroom - toilet and shower- attached. A flowery hand basin is in the actual bedroom as part of a dresser/mirror. There is also a small sitting room attached (you go down 2-3 stairs to enter it) with a TV. The room was adequate for my needs, but had a very annoying "creak" which I think came from either the dresser or the floor near it. Try as I might I could not stop this noise as I walked back and forth past it, and, as I often go to bed late and am an early riser, I was concerned for other guests in the house. The door to the sitting room would not stay open without swinging back and knocking loudly against the dresser. I put a cloth on the dresser to protect it, which made access to the basin a little restricted. There were other squeaks, creaks and clicks from doors, towel holders and the floor; yes it's an old house! There was coffee, tea, (only artificial sweetener and Coffee Mate for those liking a sweet/white tea or coffee) hot chocolate and an urn for hot or cold water in the corridor outside the rooms, along with a small fridge. There was a microwave, though it was in a rather inconvenient place on the verandah outside, far from the fridge and coffee/tea/hot water facility on the 2nd floor. I stayed for 3 days. I noticed that the room wasn't serviced in that time - my rubbish accumulated to a sizeable amount in that time.

Breakfast time was flexible. There was plenty of good food: each day it included a small plate of yogurt decorated with fresh Okanagan fruit like peaches and berries; a different type of muffin, as well as a hot course - one day it was bacon with French toast with an option to have an egg with it. The next day it was a mushroom and chive omelette. Toast was also served. My hosts, Keith and Judy were very friendly, pleasant and accommodating - I had to get up at 5am one morning and I was given access to the kitchen to eat the cereal/yogurt breakfast that I had brought. I always travel with my own favorite cereal but am sure they would have provided a cold breakfast for me if I had needed it.

All in all Joyce House provided me with what I needed - and I would go back again!

• Stayed: July 2013, travelled solo
2  Thank kat2769
Reviewed 4 May 2013

I spent a week at Joyce House. Having quite a few dietary issues, I was expecting the same breakfast day after day as most places wouldn't be able to easily accommodate my diet. Not Joyce House. Judy knew what to do. And every day she surprised me with a huge breakfast, each one better than the one previous. I was amazed at how resourceful, helpful and talented she was.

During the week, I had a blast talking to Judy and Keith. They've traveled all over the world. And it was so much fun hearing about their adventures. Judy peppered the tales with witty humour which made the telling even more fun.

The bedroom was great. It had a very comfortable bed, sunny location, sitting room, desk area, and bathroom right across the hall.

Finally, the location was amazing. I love walking and there were so many places to walk.

If I go back to Kelowna, I'll be phoning Keith and Judy and booking a room!!!

• Stayed: May 2013, travelled on business
Reviewed 12 November 2012

We recently spent two nights at the Joyce House B&B. This renovated 100 year old house has lots of character and is well located away from traffic noise, yet is only a pleasant walk from both downtown Kelowna and Pandosy Village.
Judy and Keith were very good and considerate hosts, and we were very comfortable spending time with them. Breakfasts were full of flavours, often using their own, or neighbours, fruits and vegetables.
They were full of acitivity ideas despite the time of year (mid November), and local information.
We will certainly stay again.

• Stayed: November 2012, travelled as a couple
1  Thank wilsonssalmonarmBC
Reviewed 20 October 2012

Keith and Judy are the ideal hosts! I had a most enjoyable 24-day stay, in a nicely decorated room, with a very comfortable queen-sized bed, large closet, TV, private bathroom, etc. This beautiful, large heritage home is impeccable, tastefully furnished, and well equipped with one's needs for an extended stay.

Other guests, regulars from Canada and many who travelled from all over the world, and the couple's friends who dropped in, were always very interesting and delightful company. In the evenings, we all sat in the large, cozy living room to chat. One evening, a musician guest played the organ while we sang old hits; and to my delight, a talented boy played Beethoven and some classical music one morning after breakfast.

Aside from the usual scrumptious breakfasts tailored to each guest's health demands (guests with allergies & diabetes are very pleased to find this place), Judy would always hand me a bag of her homemade muffins on my way out. Or Keith would give me some succulent plums and grapes freshly picked from their garden. On coming "home" late in the day, they would invite me to join them on the front porch for some wine and delightful hors d'oevres prepared by Judy. I was so taken by this couple's friendliness and hospitality, that I offered to make dinner one evening which we all enjoyed with some of Keith's homemade wine and Judy's lovely Okanagan peach desert.

Not only did I enjoy Keith & Judy's warm hospitality but also the wonderful company of their very interesting friends. I was very lucky to find this peaceful location with it's proximity to the beach, to the waterfront promenade & park and to downtown Kelowna - all within easy walking distance. I look forward to staying at Joyce House on my upcoming visit next year. Judy & Keith mentioned that they would be pleased to offer me a good rate off-season or for a long stay.

• Stayed: September 2012, travelled solo