“Rude owner, great location, great idea” 1 of 5 bubbles
Review of Okanagan Stables

Okanagan Stables
More attraction details
Owner description: PLEASE NOTE THAT WE ARE CLOSED UNTIL FURTHER NOTICE... Horseback Riding at it's best since 1987! From novice to advanced rider, for children as young as 2 years old to seniors all are welcome! Whether you simply would like to meet the horses, learn about the grooming and saddling, improve your horsemanship skills or just enjoy this beautiful area on horseback, we can create the right experience for you. Riders of different skill levels can be accommodated in the same group. OUR MOST POPULAR PROGRAM IN JULY AND AUGUST IS THE RIDE AND SWIM AND YOU DON'T HAVE TO KNOW HOW TO RIDE OR SWIM!!
c
3 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 6 helpful votes
“Rude owner, great location, great idea”
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 30 July 2014 via mobile

Very friendly staff, beautiful horses, enjoyed the lesson, short trail ride and time in the water. But experience was ruined and wanted to leave partway through because of rude owner spending most of the time criticizing his staff. Might be ok for adults but children shouldn't be around swearing and almost verbally abusing behaviour. I felt very uncomfortable.

4 Thank j p

“Absolute blast”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 27 July 2014

While finding the place was a challenge, once getting there and taking part in the experience was amazing. Peter the owner, was a wise-cracking genuinely knowledgable man, who knew everything that you needed to know in regards to horses. He showed me and my girlfriend a good time and made us feel comfortable around the large beautiful horses. I personally really enjoyed the swimming section of the course as it is something unlike any other stable. He shows his costumers a good time with alot of laughs. Thanks Peter!

- Brandon

“Simply amazing”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 27 July 2014

My boyfriend and i came out here to do the ride & swim and had the time of our lives. Definitely will never forget this experience! The owner is hilarious and it was cool getting to meet the staff who are from different places in europe! The horses are great and getting the opportunity to swim with them was seriously amazing (plus the scenery at the lake is beautiful) If youre in town definitely go check it out!

common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 1 helpful vote
“Good start but inexperienced workers and rude owner”
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 21 July 2014

Very good people who work with horses. Not experienced, but very nice. Trying their best. The owner just a very rude guy who is only interest is to train his staff and to get money at the same time. He's a total dsh to his people. I feel for them. Charging people for training his people and this way putting everybody at danger isn't the best way to go...

1 Thank Nickakc
PeterO695, Owner at Okanagan Stables, responded to this review, 24 July 2014
thanks for your time in giving us a review you decided to quit halfway through the program with no reason offered and where charged only for the parts given anywhere else you would have payed up front and not had the option of quitting and not been charged for the full product .Horses and being around them is serious business . I remind my riders and staff that they have to be in alpha mode to stay safe and not spoil the horse and yes that is reflected in my manner, pronunciation and conduct ,which i hope my staff and riders will pick up on and not let a 1000 lb OF HORSE walk all over them.There were some new staff members in attendance and yes there was more emphasis given as it was a demo for them when i personally instructed you and your friend who had limited experience and seemed quite happy and made good progress till you called it quits to her surprise I have been doing this for over 30 years and i know i have a unique approach that works for me. For 20 years i worked in the ski industry in the off season as ski board instructor and they called me sergeant peter for a reason.
IF YOU'RE FEELING DOWN SADDLE UP !
6 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 8 helpful votes
“Enjoyable, nice people & nice horses but....”
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 4 September 2013 via mobile

I did really enjoy my ride and I liked that the owner took time to give basic training and check horse and rider were happy. The trail was varied and I enjoyed the ride.
My only two criticisms: I had rang ahead to book an advanced session (I have had my own horses for 25 years) but the other three people in my group had never ridden before. To compensate for this I was allowed to go off ahead at a faster pace but I still did the beginner trail. (And was charged the more expensive advanced rate).
I requested also the swim option but was told this was not available.
When I paid ($125, which I thought was on the steep side for a 1 hour trail although you do get some instruction before this), I was asked what tip I would like to leave but although I had enjoyed it, due to the above to factors I did not leave any.
The owner is knowledgeable and his horses nice and I am glad I did it but it could have been a bit better - I was reeeeealllly looking forward to the swim with horses!!

Visited August 2013