“Great family vacation!” 5 of 5 bubbles

Ranked #30 of 47 Kelowna B&B and Inns
GreenLeadersGold level
“Great family vacation!”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 26 August 2014

My kids and I, my sister and her kids, and my aunt and uncle and their kids rented all 4 bedrooms for two nights for a bit of a family reunion. My other extended family were all able to join us for dinner and visiting at the house as we had full access of the kitchen. Everyone loved the house, it is so beautiful! We all felt right at home and the 9 kids loved running around outside and "playing" with the donkey ;) great value when renting all 4 bedrooms and sharing the cost with family. We can't wait to return :)

• Stayed August 2014

Solo
Business
Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (4)
Nelson
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 1 July 2014

My 8 year old daughter and I loved everything about Mission Creek Country Inn. The hosts were very warm and welcoming. Mark and his son took my daughter to feed the chickens and the donkey and even played Frisbee with her. We enjoyed our walks through the sheep pastures to look at the lambs. The breakfast was delicious with ingredients from the farm (homemade grape juice from the grapes by the veranda, waffles, canned plums and peaches, and freshly picked cherries from the trees out the front door, sheep sausage and eggs). It doesn't get any more local than that! The heritage home was saved from tear down, moved from Kelowna to the farm and lovingly restored by Mark and his family. We loved the Mission Creek Area with its farms and vineyards a short drive from downtown Kelowna. The Inn will stay a family favorite for years to come!

• Stayed June 2014, travelled with family
2 Thank WillowNelson
Arusha
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 25 January 2014

My wife and I and our two boys (ages 3 and 5) stayed at this Inn in August 2013. Everything about our stay was terrific. The breakfast was made entirely from local ingredients grown either on the farm or in BC and consisted of fresh fruit, honey, eggs, granola and was delicious. The owners had lots of old fashioned wooden toys for our boys to play with, the house was beautiful and was restored by the owner. The atmosphere at the Inn was extremely relaxed with great views. The owners were helpful and great with our kids. It was nice to escape busy Kelowna for a nearby retreat on a farm.

• Stayed August 2013, travelled with family
1 Thank K_L_Arusha
Golden, Canada
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 20 October 2013

This was our first time at a bed and breakfast, so not sure how it compares with others. It had lots of character and farm charm. Great location, rural but so close to town. We had the place to ourselves as it was early October and not tourist season.
Everything in our breakfast was straight off the farm. Home made sheep sausage, fresh eggs, grapes, apricots, honey, peaches and it was great.

• Stayed October 2013, travelled as a couple
Vancouver, Canada
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 8 September 2013

We just spent an evening at this lovely B+B. Our only regret was that we did not book in for two or three nights. Had we known the house, the food and the location were so nice we would have adjusted our plans to spend more time there. If you book in here, do yourself a favour and stay at least two nights and while you're at it call the proprietor directly for a booking. His rates are fair and he can do a better job of accommodating you if you deal with him directly.

The charming old house, the quiet farm, the home made juice, jams, bread and farm fresh eggs. Just outstanding. Mark is a gracious host with a wealth of knowledge about local things to see and do. We are going back, sooner rather than later.

The only downside is that the bathroom is shared in common, which didn't bother us, but may not be to everyone's liking. Umm... one more thing, it's a farm so roosters and other barnyard animals can be heard early in the morning. We found that endearing but you may not.

Still, it's a real, working farm and we thought it was just lovely.

Room Tip: Some of the rooms may face away from the roosters etc. that become active early in the morning. Migh...
  • Stayed September 2013, travelled as a couple
2 Thank xj6response
Vancouver, Canada
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 31 July 2013

Here it is:

I would not recommend Mission Creek Country Inn in Kelowna for future travelers. We rented the entire inn for the weekend to attend a wedding. The inn itself was nice but the inn keeper(s) were rude and incommunicative. The inn keeper contact, Mark Haley was only to be seen when I arrived and when it was time to check out (pay). Otherwise he was nowhere to be seen. His wife, Amber was around so we had to communicate with her. She was an extremely rude and inflexible woman. We tried to respect their inn and their farm by abiding to their rules. One thing they do there is recycle and compost, which is a great thing to do but when you rent the entire inn, you have full access to the kitchen and breakfast IS NOT included (which the website had failed to mention.) But by having full access to the kitchen you’re expected to prepare your own food. In doing so, you will have waste. We tried our best to sort the garbage via tins/pop cans/ plastics/cardboard, garbage and compost. The inn keeper’s wife had time to dig through our garbage to find egg shells in the garbage and came up to yell at us for placing some egg shells in the garbage instead of compost. There IS NOT a detailed list with every imaginable food listed and which receptacle it should be placed in. So I was very irritated that we were reamed out for making a minor mistake. If you’re going to THAT ANAL about sorting out the food then you should either have an extensive list posted or sort it yourself. She should have been grateful that we didn’t just put everything in a garbage bag and get her to sort it.

So she had plenty of time to sift through our garbage and a tonne of time to continually water her garden but apparently had no time to look inside to see if anything needed to be changed or replaced like toilet paper and paper towels. We ran out of toilet paper and paper towels the first evening. We had to look around the inn to find the toilet paper and the paper towel was never replaced. We stayed two nights.

About 15 minutes after we arrived, a limo pulled up with a wedding party to take pictures. Mark DID NOT inform us that this was happening and it caught us all off guard. They were taking pictures around the inn and it felt awkward leaving the inn as they were taking pictures on the porch etc. A heads up would have been nice! As it was extremely hot, (in the 30s) we opened one of the doors to get some air flow. And again, Amber comes in and yells at us like we’re little children to shut the door because the flies get inside. She also added that we should have known better; but we weren’t informed not to do that until she came to address it.

BTW – THERE ARE NO LOCKS ON THE DOORS TO EITHER YOUR BEDROOM OR TO THE ENTRANCE OF THE INN. When we were leaving to go to the grocery store, we asked, Amber if we needed a key to get back inside etc. and she responded like we were from Mars! Scoffing at us like we were insane, “What?!? Why do we need to lock the door?” and shakes her head disapprovingly. If you plan on staying here, don’t bring your valuables as there is NO WAY to lock them up. I understand that maybe living on a farm gives you a false sense of security but it was damn near offensive on how she addressed my question. I’m not the weird one – everyone locks their doors, you’re the odd one who doesn’t. There must be some permit code they’re breaking there…

And then… day of the wedding. THERE IS NO AIR CONDITIONING AT THE INN!!!! ONLY FANS!!! (Also not mentioned on the booking site) And it was one of the HOTTEST days in Kelowna ~34 Degrees Celsius. Needless to say the women’s hair and makeup were literally melting as we were getting ready. So we decided to turn on the air conditioning in the car for a few minutes as we were getting ready to leave the inn. While outside, Amber decided to lecture the driver about how turning on air conditioning in the car is killing the planet and she made the driver turn off the car. I was LIVID when I got to the car! It’s none of her business what we do in our cars. Our car is NOT running INSIDE your inn – where you have jurisdiction. If they had air conditioning inside the inn I wouldn't have been a problem. We were trying our best to remedy the situation based on the circumstances we were presented. I could have cancelled the booking altogether when I found out there was no air conditioning, but I didn’t so give me some leeway to try to make it more tolerable! Instead we were disrespected and again reprimanded for our actions.

We arrive back at the farm at 11pm. Not an unreasonable hour and they were aware we were at a wedding that day and they were definitely aware that we were NOT in the house when they decided to CLOSE AND LOCK THE GATES! We arrive in pitch darkness to find that we’ve been locked out. We had to use our cell phone screens as light as we tried to unlock the gate. It was locked with a screw type lock where you had to unscrew this large pin to open the latch to open the gate. I’m not upset that they closed the gate. It’s understandable as they have livestock but it would have been BETTER if they had let us know that that was what they were going to do so it didn’t look like they kicked us out! It would have been EVEN BETTER if they had shown us how to open the gate IN DAYLIGHT and not have us fumbling in the dark!! They were completely unprofessional, discourteous, inflexible, and downright illogical.

I was very disappointed with my experience. They have no customer relations skills, they were disrespectful, untactful and although I tried to be respectful to them I did NOT feel the reciprocation.

P.S. – The towels provided are like sandpaper. If you want a free exfoliation after your shower use their towels otherwise I’d recommend bringing your own.

Room Tip: If you're visiting in the Summer I'd recommend the largest room as they don't have air c...
  • Stayed July 2013, travelled with friends
    • 1 of 5 bubbles
    • 2 of 5 bubbles
    • 2 of 5 bubbles
    • 1 of 5 bubbles
2 Thank Q-tippers
Mark H, Owner at Mission Creek Country Inn, responded to this review, 5 August 2013
Dear Guest,

Thank you for taking the time to review Mission Creek Country Inn. The perspective you gave will help us to improve our service. I am pleased you thought the inn was nice and the price was great but am very sorry our customer relations were not all they should have been.

When people take the “whole house” option (four bedrooms with kitchen, living room, dining room, porches, two night minimum), after the initial greetings when I show people around and explain policies, I try to be careful not to intrude on guests’ privacy. I was on site during your stay and could have been called upon at any time. I’m sorry if I erred on the side of respecting privacy rather than being more visible and attentive.

Amber is very passionate about ecological issues such as recycling and energy conservation. Unfortunately in your case this passion came across as rudeness and inflexibility. We have discussed the ways communication skills can be improved.

The wedding photographer Tara Peach loves our place for the old house and natural setting and because it is close to Harvest Golf Club, the site of many weddings. She said they would be half an hour. I thought it would be OK. You are right, you should have been informed.

In our restoration of the 1909 farm house we decided to keep the original edge-mortise lock sets. They can be locked. In practice guests seldom ask for a key. In over twelve years of running the country inn there has never been a reported loss. Coyotes, on the other hand do present a security risk for our free graze lamb farm. We must keep the front gate closed, not locked after dark. Sorry if this appeared intimidating to your group. Again more communication would have been better.

I have communicated with the booking.com website to ask them to inform guests that we do not have air-conditioning and that breakfast is not included in the whole house rate.

Perhaps some of the difficulties you experienced stem from different rural/urban expectations and standards. We run the country inn on an informal, family friendly basis. We want it to be a place to relax, experience a beautiful natural setting and get away from city stresses. In spite of the things you mention I had the impression your group had a good time overall. We take the points you made very seriously and will focus on better communication with our valued guests.
Exeter, United Kingdom
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 22 January 2013

A Victorian house (relocated from Kelowna on the back of a lorry) that has been kept in as original a condition as possible, with stairs in odd places linking different levels, and a wonderful verandah where you can sit and watch peaches ripen. Located in a quiet, rural area on a farm run by the owner's sister, it's a quiet haven within easy reach of the excellent facilities of downtown Kelowna. Not all rooms have private bathrooms and there are stairs between some bedrooms and their bathrooms but our bedroom was large and comfy; it didn't lock (I don't think) but who cares in a house in a location like this! Breakfast consists of wonderful organic, home-produced berries, yoghurts etc but you may need to top up your carbohydrate and saturated fat levels later in the morning. It has a definitely 'alternative' feel and the owner is charming and very laid back: it's all very relaxing. You'll either love it or hate it - we loved it.

Room Tip: Ask for a room with a private bathroom.
  • Stayed August 2012, travelled as a couple
1 Thank AS422
Also consider these accommodations in or near Kelowna
South Pandosy - K.L.O.
Central City
Aaron's Pool and Spa Bed and Breakfast
Morning Glory Bed & Breakfast
#19 of 23 in West Kelowna

Been to Mission Creek Country Inn? Share your experiences!