“This hotel ripped us off”
1 of 5 bubbles Review of Dilworth Inn

Dilworth Inn
Ranked #21 of 34 Hotels in Kelowna
“This hotel ripped us off”
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 28 July 2014

I stayed at the dilworth for four days on a vacation in kelowna. Upon checking out the front desk lady informed me that I was getting charged $180.00 for smoking in my room! I did not smoke in my room or on the patio at all and this front desk girl was very rude and ignorant to me. They pride themselves on having the friendliest staff in kelowna? This girl was one of the most disrespectful women I have ever met. I told her to go smell the room and she kept being extremely short and would not let me finish my sentence. I am extremely upset and dissapointed. I feel as tho I have been robbed. I came to the dilworth to relax and enjoy some time off and it just ended up being a big head ache. I have never been talked to by a hotel staff member like that before in my life. I was wrongly accused of something that I definately did not do and I am extremely upset about it. I was charged on my credit card before the hotel staff even discussed it with me. Thank goodness I noticed or I would have been charged without even noticing! I'll never stay at this hotel ever again.

• Stayed July 2014
8 Thank Candace S
WitmarGM, Front Office Manager at Dilworth Inn, responded to this review, 2 August 2014
Thank you for your comments. We use the feedback we get to help us improve services we offer. We strive to offer our guests the best possible service, and I do apologize that we failed to meet that standard in this case. We are very proud to be 100% non- smoking and have set up designated smoking areas outside. If someone is suspected of smoking in the rooms, or on the balconies, our staff will contact that person to explain the policies. After twice explaining these policies to you, and your continuing to smoke on the balconies, and to partake in the use of illegal activities in the room, we were forced to keep the security deposit of $150. At check- out this is explained again, to be sure everyone understands what is going on, before we process the payment. I am very sorry that you felt as though the service you received was sub par, and if you feel as though this is unfair.

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (55)
London, United Kingdom
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 21 July 2014

The rooms are a mix of modern with retro parts but all is clean and the beds are comfortable. Plenty of parking. Only stayed here one night on our way through the Rockies. There is a drug store, Starbucks and a McDonald's across the road. I

• Stayed July 2014, travelled with friends
1 Thank MGCMGF
WitmarGM, Front Office Manager at Dilworth Inn, responded to this review, 22 July 2014
Thank you for your feedback in regards to your recent stay with us, Comfort, cleanliness and security are all very important to us and I am so glad that we were able to meet those standards of excellence during your stay. Please think of us again the next time you pass through the area, we look forward to seeing you again.
Bedfordshire, United Kingdom
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 20 July 2014

Nice friendly and helpful staff. Good size bedroom which was clean and had everything one needed. Comfortable bed, nice towels and good toiletries, hairdryer, fridge and coffee making facilities. The hotel was close by to a very large shopping mall and there was a good restaurant within walking distance.

• Stayed June 2014, travelled as a couple
Thank you for taking the time to write a review of your experiences with us. We truly do take all the comments we get seriously and we use them to help us improve the services we offer. I am so glad that we were able to help make your time in Kelowna an enjoyable one and I hope to one day have the pleasure of welcoming you back.
British Columbia, Canada
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 20 July 2014

My gf and I decided to check out Kelowna for 2 nights since we heard it was a great place to visit in the summer. We found the hotel on expedia for a reasonable price so we figured to give it a shot. We were not disappointed. We are both pretty easy going especially on vacation so nothing could really put us off. Check in was easy. The lady at the front desk was very helpful answering any questions or concerns that we had about the hotel and Kelowna. About a 10 min drive from downtown, it's easy to find your way around the city. The hotel is across the street from Orchard Park mall which was nice to do some shopping and check out the shops.

The hotel had everything we needed. FREE parking, FREE breakfast, hot tub and pool, sauna, FREE coffee, water and ice tea in the lobby(which was nice because it was a hot day). The rooms was clean, BIG with a pretty comfortable bed. My girlfriend and I both work as front line employees at hotels in Whistler village so we understand the customer service role very well and what to expect from a 99/per night hotel. If you want a 4-5 star hotel, go stay at the Fairmont or Four Seasons and keep your complaint to yourself.

Lastly, we had a great experience at the Dilworth Inn and would recommend to anyone who has a car and is in Kelowna for a few days. If you don't have a car, I would recommend staying closer to downtown and using the public transit system.

Room Tip: Room 101 is easy to access to parking, front desk, pool and hot tub. BIG room too
  • Stayed July 2014, travelled as a couple
Thank you so much for taking the time to write such a kind review. We strive to make sure that all our guests have a comfortable and enjoyable experience when they stay with us. I am so pleased that you found your time here at the Dilworth Inn to be pleasant, and I hope that you will return in the future should you pass through the Kelowna area again.
Toronto, Canada
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 17 July 2014

Did you hear that ringing sound in the background? That's 1974 calling, they want their hotel back!

I knew what I was potentially getting involved in, but was willing to give the place a chance and draw my own conclusions, after all, it was only for three nights, how bad could it be?

On reflection, it wasn't that bad!

Let's sum up the good things:

- WiFi - for business travelers, internet connection is very important. It was excellent, free and really fast. No up-sell to any premium package (there isn't one) you get a welcome sheet with very clear instructions and I could (and did) watch movies on Netflix on my iPad with no lost connection or any issues at all. 10/10.

- Clean rooms - another thing important to us all is cleanliness. My own experience of this is that the room,. and indeed the entire hotel was very well cleaned every day. The sheets on the bed were freshly laundered, carpets vacuumed, etc to a very good standard.

- Location - right beside a major route into the downtown area, a 10 minute cab ride or less, but expect to pay about $15 plus tip for such excursions. About $25 plus tip to the airport. Also easy walking distance to many shops and restaurants (I'll write a review of The White Spot and a local Thai restaurant shortly).

- Staff - everyone I dealt with at the hotel was very friendly and helpful and gave me the feeling that they really wanted my stay with them to be enjoyable.

- Garden - this is a strictly non-smoking hotel, but they have a lovely rose garden to the side at the front of the building where smokers can partake and in the 37 degree heat when I was there it was a little sanctuary for those who smoke.

- Parking - plenty of it and it's free.

- Rooms - dated (we'll get to that in a moment) but a good size, with refrigerator and microwave, ample storage space for clothing, spare blankets. Rooms are well proportioned, with plenty of room.

- Plenty of hot water

So I've said a few positives, now the other side of the coin:

- This hotel has no elevators, so if you end up on the 3rd (top) floor like I did, be prepared for a lot of healthy exercise!

- Breakfast - still a limited selection of cereals, bagels and bread with some fruit or yogurt. You won't get bacon & egg, but what do you want for free? If this is important to you, skip the breakfast room and eat elsewhere in the morning.

- Access - they lock the front door at 9 pm, so if you go for a beer and return after, it may take a while to attract the attention of someone to let you in.

- A/C - very cranky old wall unit in my room which I eventually figured out how to use

- Free drinks - you can help yourself to coffee, tea etc from reception 24/7 for free, but it's all pretty awful.

- No iron and ironing board in the room.

- Old TVs in the room

Overall, for under $100 a night in Kelowna, you shouldn't expect much, when the Delta Grand charges about $289 a night this time of year. So you pay your money and make your choice so to speak.

It felt very much like a visit to someone's elderly parents house who hadn't decorated since the early 1970's, but everything works, plenty of hot water, and if you're not put off by the patterns and colours of the wall tiles in the bathroom, or the fact that the colours of the sink, WC and bath tub don't match, then this is a low budget experience that is entirely endurable.

Note: They charge a refundable $150 deposit on booking in which you may not be aware of. I cannot for the life of me see how anyone could do $150 worth of damage to the old furniture etc in any given room, but they cheerfully return it to you when you check out.

• Stayed July 2014, travelled on business
2 Thank McIntyreSmith
WitmarGM, Front Office Manager at Dilworth Inn, responded to this review, 18 July 2014
Good Morning and Thank you for taking the time to write us such a detailed review. We strive to make sure that all our guests are comfortable and satisfied with their stay. Comfort, cleanliness, security, and good service are very important to us and I am glad that we were able to properly provide you with those things. We do have irons and ironing boards available upon request, and although we are not currently offering a hot breakfast we have been trying to work on adding more breakfast options to what is currently available. It is a slow process but I hope that the next time you come to Kelowna you will think of us and you will come and experience the many changes we are in the process of implementing.
London
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 12 July 2014

We needed somewhere to stay on a road trip from Vancouver to the Rockies. The Dilworth Inn was well rated and lived up to the reviews. It was clean, with helpful staff, and very conveniently located on the main road, with a number of chain restaurants within walking distance- it is a long way from downtown though. The building and rooms were dated - the yellow bathroom suite was out of the 70's but was perfectly clean - in fact it could have been installed last week. We didn't use the indoor pool but it looked pleasant.

Stayed July 2014, travelled with friends
WitmarGM, Front Office Manager at Dilworth Inn, responded to this review, 16 July 2014
Good Morning and Thank you for your kind review. I am so pleased that we were able to make your stay enjoyable and that you were satisfied with the level of comfort and cleanliness within the hotel. Should you pass through the Kelowna area again I hope you will think of us, and bring your bathing suits. We look forward to having the pleasure of welcoming you back.
Nelson, Canada
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 30 June 2014

We stayed at the Dilworth Inn for a soccer tournament with several families. It was reasonably priced and clean. I like that the rooms were a decent size and able to accomodate a big family. I especially enjoyed the clean top sheet. I HATE when the bedcover is old and you know it only gets washed once a year! The housekeeping staff have a fresh white sheet which takes my mind off of who was laying on this before me! But the breakfast was awful! I have had a continental breakfast offering instant oatmeal, waffle maker, boiled eggs, muffins....this one was the worst! Not impressed. The staff were very friendly and accomodating and had alot of patience for such a large group of children! I would stay here again, but the breakfast would need to improve!

Room Tip: Ask for a kitchenette room so you can have a nice breakfast
  • Stayed June 2014, travelled with family
WitmarGM, Front Office Manager at Dilworth Inn, responded to this review, 1 July 2014
Good Morning,

Thank you for taking the time to write a review in regards to your recent stay with us. It is reviews like this that help us move forward and better accommodate and satisfy our guests. I am so glad that we were able to accommodate your team and that our staff was able to help make your time in Kelowna enjoyable, even for the kids. Our breakfast is something that we have recently been working on improving and we are taking suggestions as to what our guests would like to see offered. It is a work in progress but I am sure that if you come back to stay with us again you will notice a variety of changes. I look forward to welcoming you and your group back in the future as I have every confidence that we will be able to not only meet but exceed your expectations.