“nothing spectacular” 2 of 5 bubbles

Ranked #30 of 34 Hotels in Kelowna
Vernon, Canada
“nothing spectacular”
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 3 April 2012

Fair price but stairway outdated and dingy and steep climb to second floor, no handrails. During continental breakfast owner sat and watched how much people took to eat, making a person feel uncomfortable. It was stated to people that you could not take any food into the room thus you ate in front of the staff member.

• Stayed March 2012, travelled on business
    • 3 of 5 bubbles

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (36)
Naramata, Canada
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 30 March 2012

My husband & I arrived after a long day of travel at the Howard Johnson's after midnight from the Kelowna airport. Manager/owner was right there in the office to greet us.
Room was clean & newly renovated. New microwave, fridge, TV. Comfortable king size bed. Breakfast was served at 7:30 am which I knew when we checked in (I would have liked to have some coffee a little earlier and I went to the breakfast area at 7:15 am looking for some but returned to my room for the extra 15 minutes and waited). Manager/owner was in the breakfast area in the morning making sure everyone was finding what they wanted (Waffles, bagels, muffins, cream cheese, cereal, fruit, juice & coffee). Coffee was a good brand name (real cream & milk were available). Helped us find something we were looking for in Kelowna by providing us with a city map and gave us directions. Owner/manager went out of his way to be helpful!
I would definitely return. Very happy with our stay.

• Stayed March 2012, travelled as a couple
Castlegar, Canada
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 5 March 2012

Not much to view from outside, the Howard Johnson's in Kelowna is well located (easy access to downtown, airport, and Big White skiing access highway) and offers clean, spacious amenities in comfortable surroundings. The room was EXCEPTIONALLY clean and the staff was friendly and accommodating.
If you want to spend big $$, there are suite hotels down the road, but for my money HOJOs is a great place to stay. Check-in/out was fast and wait free.

• Stayed March 2012, travelled as a couple
Banff National Park, Canada
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 18 February 2012

I had the great fortune of staying in Kelowna at the Howard Johnson's recently. In fact the proprietor Dave and his staff were extremely friendly, always accommodating, and made my wife and I feel like we had never left home! Comfortable room, recently renovated, fabulous continental breakfasts with waffles made by the proprietor Dave himself, and accomodating my late arrival, request for an extended stay and even a change from a room with 2 queens to one with a king were made with huge smiles, kind words and no problems at all. My wife and I have travelled the world and stayed in many hotels and can truly say Dave and his staff were amongst the friendliest we have ever met. I was a guest when Rick from Penticton was too. He wanted the breakfast room to be opened early at 6:30 am and become very upset and verbally abusive to Dave when he was told it opened at 7:30 which we were all told when we checked in. When Dave tried to reason with him in a calming voice, Rick became even more agitated hurling swear words and racial slurs toward Dave. When Rick refused to leave the office when asked by Dave, Dave had no choice but to order him off the property in a harsher tone as he was left with no other option. Rick clearly could have asked Dave upon check-in for early entrance to the breakfast room buy he obviously did not and was insistent that the 7:30 am start time was "f__king ridiculous" before beginning his verbal assault on Dave. Shame on you Rick from Penticton for coming on here and writing an unfavorable review with only part of the story and most of not true to suit your needs. Dave did nothing wrong to deserve this and you and I and the other guests know it! Would we stay with Dave again? ABSOLUTELY YES!!

Room Tip: Ask for a room facing away from Harvey Ave if some light traffic noise bothers you. Rooms are very...
  • Stayed February 2012, travelled as a couple
1 Thank T M
Penticton, Canada
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 15 February 2012

Of all the hotels I have ever stayed in, and thats alot, I have never been greeted by a more aggressive person that the manager/owner of this facility. I was greeted by a lovely friendly girl on Saturday afternoon and I took a room. She informed me of the free breakfast which was the main reason i stayed there. The room was average but clean. The next morning I went for my free breakfast and there was a car in the manager spot outside but the place was closed. It was 7:20 am. I rang the bell several times and no one answered so I left the hotel without checking out. Several hours later I returned to check out and I told the manager what happened. He told me that breakfast was at 7:30 am. I said that at 7:20 the lights were still off and he started getting upset telling me that "he didn;t care"! I was shocked by his lack of concern for my plight. He began getting very aggressive by standing up and coming towards me! He then said he will -- kill me! I told him that if he keeps coming i am going to call the police! We exchanged words and I asked him for my receipt which I was paying for by visa. He wouldnt give it to me! After several minutes he finally gave it to me and I left. The next day I called Howard Johnsons on their toll free number expecting that they would take my complaint very seriously! Turned out, they didnt care at all! After 2 weeks of no return call, I called again and was told that there was nothing they could do for me! Shocking! I implore you.......NEVER EVER go to this hotel!!!!!!!!!!!

• Stayed January 2012, travelled on business
    • 2 of 5 bubbles
    • 1 of 5 bubbles
2 Thank rick s

Travellers are raving about these Kelowna hotels

Kamloops, Canada
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 10 February 2012

Once this place is through with their renovations, I will stay there again in a heartbeat. It wasn't my favourite place, but really, for the price, you can't complain.

First Impression 5 / 10

-recently “refaced” with siding

-fewer than 4 abandoned vehicles in parking lot; more than 1

-inviting roofed area to park your car in while you check in

-there are 3 back doors that appear to lead upstairs; Your key does not work on any of them. Only one of them opens and that is because it is permanently unlocked

Location 8 / 10

- The only fault with the location is that it’s impossible to turn left into the parking lot, or left out of. This isn’t Hojo’s fault, it’s Kelowna’s poor city planning. You’ll be seeing a lot of this on your trip

- Easy to find, close to attractions (see next paragraph)

Nearby Attractions 8/10

- Proximal driving distance to Orchard Park Mall and the downtown shops

- Funny dog lives next door at Town & Country Motel (worth looking into)

- Lots of restaurants and car dealerships

- Vending machine at the landing of “downstairs” should the need arise

Room 4.5/10

- Prepare to be overwhelmed with bleach smell. I got used to it after a few hours and took comfort in the sanitization it implied

- Bathroom was TOP DRAWER! If this is what the rest of the renovations are going to look like, sign me up!

- Heater was not on; room was consequently subzero

- Weird sink holes in the carpet

- Fridge makes a consistent “RRRRR” sound

- No alarm clock or bible (?????)

- Separate sink / “toilet room” – if someone is in the shower and you want to wash your hands you have to dry them on your pants because the towels are in the toilet room

Amenities (9/10)

- Continental breakfast was the highlight of the stay. Watch CTV news with the hotel owner as he makes you some waffles. You will also notice a variety of jams and name-brand cereals, should you prefer.

View (3/10)
- our view was of the highway and the top of the aforementioned roof outside of the lobby. This is where I noticed the Town & Country’s dog, so I’m awarding 3 points for this.

Service (9.5/10)

- promptly greeted at the counter when I came to check in/out

- they let us check in a few hours early when we got into town. Ace! (Be sure to phone ahead, they aren't miracle workers)

- must ask for a 2nd room key

Room Tip: if you ask for a first floor room, you get your own entry door (motel). These are at the back of the...
  • Stayed February 2012, travelled as a couple
    • 2 of 5 bubbles
Kelowna, Canada
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 17 December 2011

I had a fantastic stay at the Howard Johnson in Kelowna for 2 weeks when I was waiting for my family to arrive from the UK, The manager and his staff are all very friendly, the room was very clean and up to date. The free breakfast was a bonus as was the fridge/freezer and microwave in the room. Overall a fantastic stay and would definately recommend it to others. The best price in Kelowna by far.

• Stayed December 2011, travelled solo