“Great Stay”

Ranked #10 of 34 Hotels in Kelowna
Vancouver, British Columbia, Canada
“Great Stay”
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 28 August 2012

This is my second visit to the Fairfield Inn, both visits have been good. The rooms are well kept and are more modern than a lot of hotels in this price range. They have tripple sheeted beds, this is always big on my list, flat screen TV's, and Seattle's Best Coffee!!

My room was close to the highway and when I was trying to sleep I could hear motorcycles going past. I was also very close to the elevator, there seemed to be quite a bit of traffic using the elevator and I could hear the dinging as well as the voices of the other guests. This problem was fixed by turing up the airconditioning to block out the noise! The room offered five different types of pillows but they were all quite soft and flattened as soon as you put your head on them, I prefer to have a bit more support.

The free breakfast looked good but I was dissapointed that they didn't offer muffins or other pastries.

Overall it was a good stay and I will be back!

• Stayed August 2012, travelled on business

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (71)
Vancouver
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 20 August 2012

First time stay here in Kelowna for business - I usually stay at the Grand but with the reno, those prices are over the budget. The Fairfield was expensive for what it was - 175 for an okay room, free internet and free buffet breakfast in the morning. Breakfast was not as good as others in the area (holiday Inn is better), rooms are comfortable. When I checked in, there was a cherry pit beside a side chair that was still there each day - I even moved the chair so the cleaning crew could vacuum it easier without having to move furniture. Not sure I will stay here again, nothing wrong per se, but for the price, there is better.

• Stayed August 2012, travelled on business
Airdrie, Canada
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 16 August 2012 via mobile

We stayed at the Fairfield Inn Kelowna for 5 nights with family visiting from Ontario. We had a pleasant stay. The room was nice and the beds very comfy. The service was pleasant and efficient. The breakfast bar was busy every morning but the staff kept up making sure everything was stocked up with a pleasant smile. The pool was small but my kids still had a great time on the waterside.

I would return and recommend the Fairfield Inn.

• Stayed August 2012
Lethbridge, AB
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 16 August 2012

We stayed there as a family and based on the reviews from other travelers I thought this would be the best bet. We were a little disappointed however with the condition of the hotel. We got a room with a fabulous view of the shipping docks at the Walmart next door! There is nothing special about this place and the pool was EXTREMELY cold! to a point that, even though the place was packed, no one even dare enter the pool except when using the slide. Breakfast was good and abundant...the waffles are awesome and the service was great. The hotel is quite the ways away from downtown, so don't even think that you would be able to walk there. Overall an ok experience but would not stay there again.

Room Tip: Anywhere but the ones that back on to Walmart!
  • Stayed July 2012, travelled with family
Sherwood Park, AB
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 14 August 2012

Although we've never stayed at a Marriott before, we tried this Kelowna hotel because of the name which I thought would be reliable. It was a one-night stay on the way home. I think if the housekeeper had done his/her job on our room, my review rating would be higher.

While initially impressed when we first entered the room, I started to have doubts when I detected a dirty rag type of smell in the bathroom. I later found out it was from the shower curtain. The sink was clogged and would take several minutes to drain after washing hands. The empty box of Kleenex was also not replaced. Then, while praising their better than average-sized fridge, I noticed that the coffee pot had not been emptied from the previous guest. I appreciate the high ceilings that seem to enlarge the room. If there is a next time, we certainly will ask for something other than the main floor because you are not able to take advantage of the large windows that open, for safety and privacy reasons. Also, the main floor is where they allow pets. We were told that a free breakfast was included, but when my daughter and I went in the morning, the uncivilized manners of guests turned us off - but we can't fault the hotel for their rude guests. People are reaching over you, butting in line and snatching things up - I am not a snob, but totally did not expect this behaviour at a Marriott hotel. We left with a cup of juice which we threw out as it did not taste fresh or like juice.

Although the front desk staff all seem very professional and friendly, the hotel did not leave me with a good lasting impression. I had left a few items in our fridge, none of which I would care about misplacing other than a bag of goodies I was picking up for family members. I remembered that I left it in the fridge about three hours later, while we were on our way out of town. The front desk clerk checked first to make sure housekeeping had not found anything and verified that no one has been to the room. Then, he personally checked and reported nothing in the fridge. When requested, he allowed me to check the room myself. Sure enough, the room had not been cleaned. However, everything in the fridge was gone but nothing in the room's garbage. I was persistent only because the items were picked up on behalf of others. When I ran into a housekeeper I saw earlier that morning, she showed me an apple that "someone dropped off on her cart" and assured me it was all she had - the apple was one of the other items we left behind. She mentioned that others drop things off on her cart that she knows nothing about. I explained to her that I wanted to find my stuff because they were meant for someone else and if there were any others who worked that floor whom I could speak to. She hesitated a moment and told me there were a couple others, but that she was finished her shift in a half hour. When I proceeded to speak to another housekeeper, she asked me to wait as if there was another place to look. Then, she went directly to the bottom of her cart and removed a few clean towels. My bag was laying there under those towels and between other layers of towels. Inside my bag was also an unopened bottled drink I had left behind. There was also a small box of leftovers from lunch from the day before, but I didn't see that. I really didn't care about finding anything other than my bag with the goodies in vacuum-sealed packages. How this all played out just leaves me with a suspicious feeling.

Room Tip: Unless you own pets, ask for a higher floor so you get privacy and access to fresh air.
  • Stayed August 2012, travelled with family
1 Thank AB_Reviewer
ffi-kelowna, General Manager at Fairfield Inn & Suites Kelowna, responded to this review, 21 August 2012
Hello There,

Thank you for taking the time to share your experience during your recent stay at the Fairfield Kelowna. Your valued feedback assists us with improving our service and product.

Firstly I would like to apologize for the scent in your room and the housekeeping discrepancies that were overlooked. This is definitely not the standard of clean that we strive to achieve at our Hotel. I will address this with our Housekeeping department.

Regarding the food items that were left behind, I would like to investigate this further. We do take our guest's belongings very seriously and I would sincerely apprecaite if you could provide me with your name and the dates of your stay so I can address this incident with our Housekeeping Department, and determined what happened. If you could kindly contact myself directly by email: emmaf@prhotels.ca or by telephone 250-469-6370

Emma Frere
New Westminster, Canada
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 14 August 2012

Good Size rooms and comfortable Heavenly beds! Marriott is known for keeping quality and standards. Basic services include wireless Internet. Breakfast over a full house with lots of families can be hectic and it really gets crowded, too small of a buffet area! Line up for the famous waffles and microwave are at times to much to handle, but is good with enough to get you going for the day. Staff is friendly and very helpful. This hotel is well located with nearby stores and restaurants to choose from.

• Stayed August 2012, travelled with family
Surrey, British Columbia, Canada
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 13 August 2012

I was in town for business, and checked into the Ramada for one night's stay. I extended a 2nd night after finding a great deal on the Marriott website - it's odd that the package deal was cheaper then the best available rate, but it saved nearly $100.

The room - was fine, everything worked well. Wireless internet - I found it choppy at times, and having to sign in again every morning was a drag.

Customer service was sometimes great, sometimes disappointing.
Great: check in - quick and smooth and friendly
Disappointing:
I asked for information on the bus, and the front desk staff just complained about the bus service in Kelowna and said I should take a cab instead. I went to my room, looked it up myself and saw that there was frequent bus service to where I wanted to go, at a fraction of the price of a cab. Staff should be knowledgeable or be willing to look it up for you. I intentionally chose a lull time at the desk.

As I mentioned above, I booked a 2nd night in the hotel. After the first night, I went to the desk in the morning and told the clerk I had booked an additional day and wanted to do whatever was necessary - check-out/check-in or whatever. The clerk said that everything the booking was extended in the system, so I did not have to do anything. Later when I returned to my room, my room key stopped working. So I had to make an extra trip back to the front desk to get my key reactivated for the 2nd day. I wish the first clerk had thought it through to same me that extra trip.

Breakfast was pretty good for a hot continental. I was disappointed with the paper cups, plastic cutlery and paper plates. The plates are compostable, but with their strong commitment to recycling and the environment elsewhere in the hotel, this is a big hole in their garbage creation.

Also, we are at the peak of tree fruit season in Kelowna. So why, oh why are imported apples and bananas the fruit of choice? Local farmers would happily supply, at a fair price, peaches, apricots to showcase the best of the area.

Location is some ways out of town, but it does not position itself as being in town.

• Stayed August 2012, travelled solo