“Comfortable stay if a bit non-descript” 4 of 5 bubbles
Review of Fairfield Inn & Suites Kelowna

Fairfield Inn & Suites Kelowna
Ranked #10 of 34 Hotels in Kelowna
Toronto, Canada
“Comfortable stay if a bit non-descript”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 11 August 2013

This hotel really gives you everything you might need, in a mid-range budget way. The room was clean and while it looked a bit dated, the furnishings were comfortable and nothing to sneeze at. Marriott status was recognized and there was also a pool and hot tub available for use. It is right next to the Walmart if you need to pick up some snacks and the like. Parking was a bit of c challenge, but it was a Saturday night during peak season. Breakfast was good (not amazing) but it did have standard fare of cereals, breads, eggs, and bacon as well as a waffle machine which was a nice touch.

• 4 of 5 bubbles

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (71)
Calgary
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 5 August 2013

This was the third time we stayed at the Fairfield inn and we have been pleased once again. If you are looking for a place to rest at night after being about all day, this is the place. We looked at other hotels closer to the waterfront but can't justify paying twice the price, especially if you have a car and you don't plan to get liquor up.

Rooms are clean and the free breakfast has something for everyone. We have been there with and without the kids.

The breakfast keeps on getting better every year. Don't get me wrong, it is not a fancy breakfast served but has warm and cold items

My biggest beef, as tea drinkers, the hot water is housed in a craffe that clearly had coffee in it previously. At least you have a Tim. Hortons around the corner.

There are a lot of your standard suburban stores and restaurants in walking distance.

The pool and slide are nice for those days you have a couple of hours to kill

Room Tip: Get a room at the end. This way you can take the stairs and park your car right to the stairs entran...
Maple Ridge, Canada
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 29 July 2013

Stayed at the Fairfield Inn & Suites Kelowna for a couple of nights in July as were attending a wedding in town. Found the condition of the hotel to be very good, it's a newer place so just about everything is in great shape and quite clean. The room and bathroom were adequate in size, bathroom amenities adequate, clean towels and lots of them, (showerhead plastic piece a bit rust-stained needs replacing) and the bed and pillows were comfortable. I would say medium/soft mattress which worked great for me. Can't comment on the internet service as I just used the 3G connection on my phone for this trip. Parking was adequate, complimentary and the parking pass display on dash system works fine. The television channel selection was HD and excellent, and the air conditioning worked perfect and kept the room nice and cool. The elevators are modern, kept clean and in great shape, and not all scratched up. The vending selection was pretty good too if you want a late night snack... and the key cards for the room worked each and every time! (small thing I know, but actually a common problem) There is a Joey's across the street also if you're looking for a bigger meal. I travel a LOT, stay at a lot of hotels, and worked in the hospitality industry for ten years so can provide some feedback on three issues which prevented me from giving five out of five.

Firstly the blackout blinds for the room I was in were insufficient. Too short (they ended a short distance above the air conditioner) and too far from the window allowing light to come into the room at many angles. When pulled shut, these blinds should make the room totally dark for a better sleep. I had read another review or two on this same issue though prior to my stay so was expecting this. Second issue was that the front desk did not ask us whether or not we would mind having a room right across from the elevator. Yes we could have asked for a different room once we got in there, but once we were in and settled we did not want to move (some noise from the elevator area but not terrible). It just would have been nice if they had checked with us beforehand. Third issue was the breakfast buffet. Things may be different through the week and in slow season, but on a July weekend the eating area was about 50 percent too small. The breakfast buffet is only for 3 hours between 7am and 10am so everybody in the hotel has to go during this relatively short timeframe. When we arrived we had to stand and wait for a table. When we finally got a table, my wife and I couldn't get breakfast at the same time because one of us had to hold the table so nobody else would take it. A lady even had to ask for one of our chairs but we didn't give it up cause we were waiting for another couple. It was just extremely crowded (we went at 915am) with lineups for the wafflemaker, and a lineup to toast your bread. Several items were completely out and hadn't been topped up or even replenished in a timely manner (I got the last hardboiled egg) My wife ate an untoasted bagel because there was a lineup at the toasters. People were proceeding down the buffet area in both directions which made for a bit of a gaggle, there really wasn't any organization for this many people converging at once. Expanded summer and/or weekend breakfast hours such as 6 or 7am to 11am just may help solve this problem if willing to try. On a more positive note about the buffet though, aside from being complimentary the food that we were able to get such as the bacon, scrambled eggs, yogurt, and (yes finally a waffle) were very tasty and the coffee was excellent. No issues with the biodegradable cutlery and plates as others had commented on, they did the job and kudos to Fairfield for being environmentally conscious!

If you like a hotel with a courteous and professional staff the Fairfield is the place to be! I can certainly say that each and every employee we dealt with from front counter staff to housekeeping were smiling, sociable, professional and helpful! I requested four wine glasses to be sent to the room and they arrived on time. I asked for change of a $20 bill on another occasion at the front desk and it was no problem. I asked for a taxi to be ready to pick four of us up at 5:45pm and it was there on time, with a call from the front desk advising it was there. Upon checkout, "Mike" at the front counter was awesome, took our room keys, thanked us for our stay with a smile and we were on our way. EXTREMELY quick and efficient check-out with no lineup and courteous staff are a huge plus for me! Thanks Mike! And great service from the rest of the staff as well. Definitely a plus in a day and age where good help is getting increasingly hard to find.

Despite a few relatively minor issues mentioned above, my stay overall was enjoyable and would recommend the hotel to others.

Room Tip: If you're looking for quiet time, be sure to ask for a room away from the elevators as some room...
  • Stayed July 2013, travelled as a couple
Cheshire, United Kingdom
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 27 July 2013

Thoroughly enjoyed our stay at this really good hotel, spacious lobby, bedroom was large and spotlessly clean. Comfortable bed with quality bedding. Breakfast was a typical continental fare and most importantly two grades of coffee available, (Being from the UK I cannot drink the syrupy strong coffee served in some hotels in Canada and USA). What more can you wish for, would certainly recommend this hotel to other fellow travellers.

• Stayed July 2013, travelled as a couple
Calgary, Canada
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 21 July 2013

This hotel has nice rooms and comfortable beds. The free wifi and breakfast buffets are also pluses. The business centre is great for business travellers that need to print documents as doing so is free and is easily accessible. The large, red waterslide is a big attraction with children (must be 48 inches to use waterslide) however so this hotel may lose it's popularity with true business travellers. As for the pool, what you see is what you get is true in this case where the outdoor waterslide (indoor steps) drops you into a postage size outdoor pool of cold water. That is it for the pool as you are left to depend on the weather and the number of people attempting to fit into the tiny oasis. There is a hot tub with water only warmish in temperature. If you have children you might be better to try a hotel with an indoor larger pool so you are not so dependant on the weather or if you have children shorter than 48 inches.

Coquitlam, Canada
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 19 July 2013

Being a "name" property, I had a fairly good idea of what to expect, but even I was very pleasantly surprised when EVERYTHING turned out to be so first class. Lots of staff, pleasant lobby, fresh-baked cookies, non-scratched elevators, bright and pleasant hallways, etc.

My room had very well-made beds, Samsung HDTV (with HD channels!), fridge, desk area (with lots of plug-ins), 2 phones, easy chair (with ottoman), padded suitcase holder (along with a portable in the closet), iron, and ironing board. There were also two large mirrors (including a full-length one that the ladies would appreciate).

What really impressed me, though, was even when looking closely, there was NO dirt, NO chipped furniture, NO peeling wallpaper, etc. In fact, after I was in the room for about 10 minutes, I got a call from Lexy at the front desk checking how my room was. Needless to say, everything was fine, but how many hotels are confident enough to check with their guests like this?! Needless to say, I was (again) impressed.

Bathroom was very clean with white tiled walls above the tub, a large 6' X 4' mirror and lots of counter space. Like the rest of the room, it was very clean.

For my kids, however, their highlight was the outdoor pool and waterslide. Now, I expected the waterslide to be the typical lame type found in most hotels. Well, this isn't an average hotel. The waterslide went all the way to the fourth floor of the hotel and featured three 270 degree turns (in both directions) before finishing with a monster 450 degree turn as it entered the pool. My 11 and 9 year-olds thought it was a blast (hey, it even scared me a little).

Guests at the hotel seemed split about 60/40 between business and family travellers.

Finally, I can't comment on price (I stayed on points) or the free breakfast (we slept in late during our stay), but there is a Tim Horton's one block away along with several restaurants in the immediate area.

Abbotsford
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 17 July 2013

We stayed at the Fairfield Inn this past weekend while attending my son's baseball tournament. This hotel was perfect in everyway. The rooms were spacious and clean. The pool and slide were a great way for the kids to cool down between games. Everyone enjoyed the slide, even some adults. Never had a problem finding a seat of breakfast, which had something for everyone with cold and hot options. There was enough variety that I didn't have to have the exact same thing for breakfast everyday. The staff was able to get our whole team staying on the same floor. The breakfast area was also a great area for the team to gather in the evening. We ordered pizza for the team and was able to sit with everyone and enjoy the visit. No problems with the Wifi. The hotel is also in close proximity to a number of restaurants, Starbucks, Tim Hortons and Walmart. All within walking distance. Overall a flawless stay. Will definitely stay again!!!