“Had I only known :(”

Best Western Northgate Inn
Ranked #1 of 18 Hotels in Nanaimo
Reviewed 22 August 2014

My brother usually plans & Takes my 89 yr old Mom on short trips, but sadly he passed away suddenly on his Birthday last Dec, It was my first trip with my Mom & myself and she insisted Best Western, as they have a full Continental Breakfast and I can bring her Bacon & Scrambled eggs up to the room. They always stayed in Courtney Best Western. I wanted to stay in Nanaimo as we where reconnecting with relatives in Ladysmith. The price for this Best Western was higher than we have paid in Courtney, so I was surprised to find a snack for breakfast.
The beds where so comfortable that after 3 nights there I didn't want to go home to my own bed.
The staff were exceptional. The young man at the front desk was so helpful and even called my Mom to see if she was okay when I stepped out to visit a cousin in Nanaimo.
My only disappointment was the breakfast and unfortunately because my Mom needs a good breakfast we will be looking for a different Best Western next time we come to the Island. One that includes the full continental breakfast for the same price.

• Stayed: July 2014, travelled with family
1  Thank Terri G
GMNorthgate, General Manager at Best Western Northgate Inn, responded to this reviewResponded 22 August 2014

We'd like to thank Terri G for their review and our sincere condolences to them for the sudden loss of their brother.
We're always disappointed when we don't meet our guests' expectations. We do our best to let our guests' know what we have to offer and to clarify differences between BEST WESTERN and BEST WESTERN PLUS hotels. Also, not every Best Western offers a free breakfast. From our understanding the BEST WESTERN PLUS property that the guest references has made some changes to their breakfast options and it may no longer be as this guest describes. To avoid disappointment we encourage guests to research hotel features, and in cases such as this whether hotels offer a free "hot breakfast", or free "continental breakfast".

Reviewed 19 August 2014

This hotel was very clean. The staff knew area well. The breakfast was not a full restaurant style and not just continental either but somewhere in between.We had to ask for real glass wear to drink from but they were eager to give us what ever we needed. Bed was comfortable. Curtains blocked out light well. nice little balcony. No sounds through walls. Walking distance to bars/restaurants/malls

• Stayed: August 2014, travelled with friends
1  Thank connied664
GMNorthgate, General Manager at Best Western Northgate Inn, responded to this reviewResponded 21 August 2014

We'd like to thank connied664 for their review and for highlighting some of our great features. We have many items available to guests upon request so please don't hesitate to ask our front desk team.

Reviewed 16 August 2014

booked late afternoon as I wasn't sure where I would be staying for the night. Thought I'd give them a try versus the usual place I stay. staff was super friendly on the phone and when I arrived at check in. they even called 5 minutes after I got into the room to make sure everything was ok. nice, clean and comfortable rooms. The included kick-starter breakfast is basic but is good to get you started. super friendly staff there as well. central to north nanaimo with lots to do in the area

2  Thank LLHH
GMNorthgate, General Manager at Best Western Northgate Inn, responded to this reviewResponded 18 August 2014

We'd like to thank LLHH for their review and we hope to see them again in future. We appreciate that they highlighted our clean comfortable rooms, and our great service. Our breakfast is continental and features an assortment of baked goods, cereals, toast, yogurt, cold hard boiled eggs that can be heated, apples, bananas, oranges, 4 types of juice, coffee, a selection of tea, and we feature make your own waffles.

Reviewed 15 August 2014

We travelled to Nanaimo with a group of Challenged adults. and stayed at the Best Western Hotel. The staff were wonderful getting all our rooms close together and gave us a suite for our driver and 2 staff. Breakfast was great and lots of food to try. When one of our client wandered away they knew just where to phone Thank you Best Western !! Cecile Mathews

• Stayed: August 2014, travelled with friends
2  Thank Cecille M

We would like to thank Cecille M for their review and for highlighting our great service and our continental breakfast. We look forward to welcoming them as our guests in the near future.

Reviewed 15 August 2014

Motel seems overpriced comparatively with other properties and parking is limited as well as access to rooms as doors are not open at extremities of motel. Room is not at all roomy and although well maintained as a larger person i felt a little like there was not enough room to really stretch.

Review collected in partnership with Best Western

We'd like to thank Ralph V for their review. We pride ourselves in delivering a great stay, and we are sorry to have not met this guests' expectations. We appreciate constructive feedback and we own up to our shortcomings and our mistakes. That being said there are times we see inaccuracies or confusion in a review, and we want to respond so you, our future guests, can have as much information as possible. We want to be open and honest about our property.

Sometimes people interchange "hotel" and "motel", but just to clarify we are a hotel with internal hallways, and not a motel which have exterior room doors. All of our rooms do have balconies. Our 72 room hotel has 3 separate parking areas where the main lot closest to the lobby doors has 43 spaces. When we are busy this lot is usually full. We have a lot at the back of the hotel with 46 spaces which is also ideal for over-height/over-length vehicles. In addition to that we also own the property next door and use that as additional parking for standard size vehicles: It's conveniently located to the lobby entrance. We can't recall the last time anyone mentioned our room size. Our standard rooms with 2 queen size beds are about 31 square meters (About 340 square feet). We also have other room types and configurations that are larger. We encourage guests that have specific requests or needs to contact the hotel directly. As for the issue of price there are cheap economy hotels and motels in Nanaimo. if we're compared to other hotels in North Nanaimo we are a great value. As with most hotels our rates fluctuate seasonally and for other reasons, but the middle of July to the Middle of August is our absolute peak and rates are usually at their highest.

Reviewed 7 August 2014

The Inn Looked great from the outside.Very clean on inside.Everything worked drains all bulbs in lights:) Snacks in lobby fridge microwave.Everyone was friendly and helpful. We would stay again at this Hotel.

2  Thank Marjorie-Ann H
GMNorthgate, General Manager at Best Western Northgate Inn, responded to this reviewResponded 8 August 2014

We would like to thank Marjorie-Ann H for their review and pointing out some of our features and our great service. Our staff really appreciate the feedback and the 5 out of 5 rating.

Reviewed 30 July 2014

I stayed here while my daughter was competing in the BC Summer Games. The location was perfect to the two venues used for volleyball, and convenient to shopping/food/restraunts.

I have no complaints about the property. Everything went smoothly, and the building/room was very clean and quiet (I stayed in rm 322 which was near the end of the hallway away from the elevator, so noise was amost non-existent even though the hotel (and every other one in Nanaimo that weekend!) was fully booked.

I did not use the breakfast bar, so I don't have any person comments on that.

• Stayed: July 2014, travelled with family
2  Thank Jill B

We would like to thank Jill B for their review and for the excellent description of convenience and the great features of our hotel.