“Loud AC kept me awake”

GreenLeadersBronze level
Nanaimo, Canada
“Loud AC kept me awake”
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 14 July 2013

The Dorchester Inn is a nice hotel, but just hope that you don't get room 103 or 105. The pump for the AC is as loud as an alarm clock, and goes off every 10 min. It's also connected to the rooms above, so even when I turned off my AC, it kept going off. Other than that, it's probably one of the nicer hotels in Nanaimo.

• Stayed July 2013, travelled on business
Review collected in partnership with Best Western

NanaimoResponse, General Manager at BEST WESTERN Dorchester Hotel, responded to this review, 15 July 2013
First of all, I do apologize for any inconvenience that you had to experience due to the matter that you've already informed us through Front Desk. We've taken those two rooms off the market and we're investigating the situation. We'll try our best to correct the situation as soon as possible and again, if there's anything that I can be of an assistance to the matter, please feel free to contact me at anytime.

Best Western Plus Dorchester Hotel

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (90)
  • Korean first
canada
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 11 July 2013

Staying at the Dorchester was a pleasant experience! The beds were very comfortable and the room was clean. The guy at the front desk was friendly and knowledgeable about the area. As well, the hotel was in a great location! There are lots of shops nearby and it is in walking distance to the waterfront. What's more is after leaving my pillow there, they packaged it up in a plastic bag and were easy to get a hold of to make arrangements for picking it up.

• Stayed July 2013, travelled with friends
1 Thank mkmcdona
Thank you for sharing your experience with us. On behalf of all our team, I'd like to appreciate your feedback showing your gratitude to our team. Will be looking forward to welcoming you again on your next visit to Nanaimo.

Best Western Dorchester Hotel
St. Catharines, Canada
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 8 July 2013

Here in beautiful Nanaimo with my husband who is here on business. We have been here for 6 nights, pretty much what I was expecting a far a accommodations - happy overall. My husband found out yesterday that we would have to stay a few more nights so we immediately made arrangements with the front desk - no problem.....not t'il I asked if we could have a complimentary upgrade for the remainder of our stay (2 nights)! The gentlemen at the front desk said no problem to book for the extra nights but kinda laughed when he told us our upgrade request would have to wait t'il the morning. I found out this morning what he was referring to - the manager. Spoke with the manager on duty and asked for a complimentary upgrade for the next 2 nights, possibly a harbour front view or city view, anything other than this brick wall (see pic). His answer was that they were busy and could not do that. Not impressed! I have experience in the hospitality industry and know full well that you don't treat your guests that way! Not happy with the answer, I called the front desk one more time to see if there was anything they could do and I reminded him that we have been here for 6 nights already! Again, the answer was no but this time not because they didn't have any rooms available, if I wanted an upgrade I would have to pay for it! At least if they had no rooms it would make it easier to understand but just straight out being tight....not a good management decision on their part - cost to make a customer happy $0!!!

Room Tip: Ask what the view is like from the room!
  • Stayed July 2013, travelled as a couple
2 Thank Guest5050
I do apologize for not meeting your expectation this time. We do have our policy for upgrades upon availability, and since it was pretty booked up for Dragon Boat Festival, we were unfortunately not able to offer you free upgrade this time. We do appreciate your business and Hope for your understanding. I can assure you that we'll try to accommodate all our guests needs as much as possible at all times.

prince george
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 3 July 2013

Stayed there on Canada Day long weekend. Room was clean and very quiet which is a big plus. You could not hear the people next door or walking in the hallway. Restaurant was good. Not a lot of selection but the food they did have was good size portions and tasted great

• Stayed July 2013, travelled as a couple
NanaimoResponse, Manager at BEST WESTERN Dorchester Hotel, responded to this review, 3 July 2013
I would like to appreciate for taking your time to let us know how great your stay was. We will try our best to exceed our guest's expectations as always. We're having Dragon Boat Festival this weekend and so many upcoming festivals and events in Nanaimo this summer and would like to welcome you all who are the paddlers for the race and for visitors as well!

GM
Elkhart
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 27 June 2013

Got onto the island late and needed a place to stay close to Nanaimo for business, this hotel was just off of the main road. Staff was friendly enough during check in. Room was very small and out dated with a musty odor which did seem to go away after the window was opened for a while. No breakfast other than at the restaurant in the lobby which I did not try as I was in a rush to make an appointment.

• Stayed June 2013, travelled on business
NanaimoResponse, Manager at BEST WESTERN Dorchester Hotel, responded to this review, 30 June 2013
Thank you for sharing your experience with us. We strive to serve all of our guests with best care at all times. Due to being a historic building originally built in 1887, even with its own charm as a heritage building, we do face some of challenges at times in certain areas of the building especially due to the weather condition. I would like to apologize for any inconvenience, and your feedback will help us to improve our service for our future guests.

I'm glad that you were happy with the cleanliness of the room, and I will assure that we will do our best to ensure your next stay will be more pleasant and happy. Will be looking forward to welcoming you again on your next visit to Nanaimo.