“Worn Out Hotel”

Best Western Dorchester Hotel
Ranked #6 of 18 Hotels in Nanaimo
GreenLeadersBronze level
Reviewed 6 November 2013

I was happy with the location od this hotel, as it was close to everything. Parking was an issue as there are not enough stalls for guests. Had to park on the street. The main concern is that this is a very old and tired hotel. Heritage or boutique hotels are grand if done right, however this hotel lacks in many areas. The lobby is small with cracked tiles, dated furniture, the hallway carpets are worn out, the rooms are very small, the building is extremely noisy ( you can hear a pin drop through the paper thin walls), and it feels like you are going to fall through some of the hallway floors. The hotel, including my room, smelled like the bottom of an old wooden boat. I found out from the desk clerk that the hotel is over 120 years old!! I'll be staying at the newer and nicer hotel across the street next time. It's about the same price too!

• Stayed: October 2013, travelled on business
NanaimoResponse, General Manager at Best Western Dorchester Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded 8 November 2013

Thank you for taking your time to share and letting us know how your stay was.

It is a regret to hear that we haven't met your expectations.There're a few challenges that we encounter for being a heritage building, but we do keep striving to serve our guests with better service and to meet our guest's expectations as always.

We're working on to update some of our public areas including hallways and lobby areas in near future. Hope this will help our future guests with better service.

Again, thank you for the feedback. It'll help us improve our service.

Reviewed 28 October 2013

We had a great stay, downtown Nanaimo has become pretty cool, the little shops are quite funky and cute. We loved the outdoor deck on the 3rd floor, we were able to hang out there and enjoy the unseasonably warm weather and there was no on else out there.Actually the hotel was very quiet, it felt like we had it all to ourselves, must be a well kept secret? Really lovely view of the harbour from our window, great place to watch the sun rise.

• Stayed: October 2013, travelled as a couple
Review collected in partnership with Best Western
NanaimoResponse, General Manager at Best Western Dorchester Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded 30 October 2013

Dear Deb Storey,

Thank you for taking your time to share your experience with BEST WESTERN PLUS Dorchester Hotel! I'm glad that you've enjoyed amenities we offer and downtown of Nanaimo as well.

We're located in the heart of Downtown Nanaimo looking over Inner harbour where lot of amenities are within walking distance including Sea Walk, Harbour Air, Convention Centre, Casino and all kinds of restaurants and shops and amenities that you can only enjoy in Nanaimo Old City Quarter.

Will be looking forward to welcoming you again!

Reviewed 19 October 2013

The hotel is relativelly clean. I booked my room last minutes, so I suppose I got one of the last room. I was at the first floor, just beside the street... so not really quiet... but as I arrived late and was leaving soon it was ok. But if you can pick a room on the harbor side it will be better. I don't know if it's like this at all the floor level, but the hotel seems to be build in wood many years ago. When people walk in the hallway it seems you are in a 1835 old farm house. I had a few minutes only for the breakfast and the people at the restaurant help me to make it on time. I appreciated it.

Room Tip: If you can pick a room on the harbor side it will be quieter.
  • Stayed: September 2013, travelled on business
NanaimoResponse, General Manager at Best Western Dorchester Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded 22 October 2013

Dear Mr. Salutzo,

Thank you for sharing your experience with BEST WESTERN PLUS Dorchester Hotel!
By letting us know what you liked and what we can improve on, you're allowing us to improve our services for our guests.

Once again, thank you for your feedback and will be looking forward to welcoming you again in near future!

Reviewed 28 September 2013

I love staying at Best Western- I always get a clean quiet room, comfy bed, awesome shower/bathroom.
This hotel was convenient to a park across the street- beautiful clean wonderful walk around the harbor with shops and play area.
The hotel was great and staff wonderful helpful and friendly.
The gentleman at the front desk in the evening gave us a short history of the hotel, very interesting.
One negative- the elevator was broken and we were on the 3rd floor- easy for my husband and I, but a bit tiring for my 72 year old mother- the staff did offer to carry up our luggage.
Booked 2 rooms and they were conveniently next to each other.
Nanaimo Bars everywhere YUM!

• Stayed: September 2013, travelled as a couple
NanaimoResponse, General Manager at Best Western Dorchester Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded 1 October 2013

Thank you for taking time to share your experience with BEST WESTERN PLUS Dorchester Hotel! I'm glad to hear that you've enjoyed your stay and we've met your expectations.

Our elevator was down due to mechanical reasons, but it got repaired now and hope no more inconvenience for our guests. Luckily, our guests were all patient and thanks for the understanding.

We'll always strive to serve our guests with full care at all times. And, we'll be looking forward to welcoming you again on your next visit to Nanaimo.

Reviewed 6 September 2013

purchased this overnight stay in Nanaimo on Kayak. employees were courteous but I was designated to a separate section of the hallway to a small very cramped but clean room. There were about 10 rooms in this side section. So claustrophobic I stayed out as long as I could and left as early as possible - there were windows that looked at a wall. To freshen up clothes with an iron is a balancing act. I am of average height and weight and athletic. I have the feeling this is the Best Western policy to fill rooms that have been purchased by discount brokers. I will be very cautious in the future.

• Stayed: September 2013, travelled solo
10  Thank laure1067
NanaimoResponse, General Manager at Best Western Dorchester Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded 9 September 2013

Thank you for letting us know your experience with us. It is such a regret to hearing that we didn't meet your expectation. We'll use your feedback for our future guests and will consider having other room types available for 3rd party booking website.

In the meantime, you'll find that we have various other room types at reasonable rates on our website, and it is worthy to pay some extra for different room types and different views including our picturesque harbor view.

Thank you for staying with us and hope you would stay with us and experience our other room types and I'll assure that your stay would be more convenient and pleasurable.

If you need any assistance, please feel free to contact me directly at anytime.

Reviewed 3 September 2013

We stayed one night in August and this hotel suited us just fine. Hotel has two entrances and uses a public parking lot so it took two trips around the block to figure it out. The room was fine and even though the hotel is on the older side it was clean and well taken care of. Not having a laptop we appreciated the lobby computer. The front desk staff were both helpful and friendly.The location is right across the road from the beautiful Nanaimo waterfront. Many places to eat are in the area within walking distance. We would stay here again.

• Stayed: August 2013, travelled as a couple
NanaimoResponse, General Manager at Best Western Dorchester Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded 5 September 2013

Dear Joe and Peggy,

Thank you very much for taking your time to letting us know how you enjoyed your stay with BEST WESTERN PLUS Dorchester Hotel. I'm glad to hearing that we've met your expectations and will relay your comment with our team.

For our future guests, please be informed that we have our main entrance unloading zone on Church St for checking in and you'll be given our complimentary parking pass for you to display in your car, and to move your car to the parking lot on Front St. It is just one block down. There are stairs from Parking lot to the back entrance of the hotel. It would be more convenient to unload your luggage at the main entrance. Hope this will guide our future guests with easier access to the hotel.

Again, thank you very much for your review, and will be looking forward to welcoming you again on your next visit to Nanaimo.

Reviewed 29 August 2013

We stayed at this hotel in Nanaimo to make a quick visit to relatives who live in the area.. Price OK for service provided. Well located to walk to local attractions / restaurants. No bar fridge - therefore no place to store milk for coffee / cool refreshments. Wireless internet in room dropped out a few minutes after connecting - very frustrating. Reported to front desk that bathroom sink was not draining - not fixed during stay.

• Stayed: August 2013, travelled as a couple
4  Thank Rhonda L
NanaimoResponse, General Manager at Best Western Dorchester Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded 30 August 2013

Dear Rohnda L,

Please accept our sincere apology for not meeting your expectations during your stay. For your future reference, if there's any issue with internet, please be informed that we provide complimentary 24 hour live tech support who would be happy to assist with you. The tech support number is displayed on your working desk(Tent Card) now, and in the Guest's Directory as well.

We also provide fridges for guests upon request in some of the rooms where we don't have fridges. Lastly, for maintenance issue like tub drainage problems,we try not to cause our guests inconvenience to have it looked after during the stay. But of course, we try to prevent it from occurring during guest's stay,too. And, I'd like to apologize for the inconvenience during your stay since it wasn't the case this time.

Above all, I appreciate taking your time to give us your feedback, and we'll implement your comment to improve our service for our future guests. I hope we can have another chance to serve you so that we can assure you that your stay will be pleasurable one.