“I'll Be Back”

Ranked #10 of 18 Hotels in Nanaimo
Fort Macleod, Canada
“I'll Be Back”
Reviewed 1 October 2011

I recently stayed at the Port-O-Call and found it to be clean, quiet, and affordable. The staff treated me like family and the food at the restaurant (Gilly B's) was excellent. The next time I'm in town I'll be staying at the Port-O-Call.

• Stayed September 2011, travelled solo
2 Thank Norton M

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (11)
Tofino, Canada
Reviewed 11 June 2011

My colleagues and I have stayed here several times over the past year for teacher conferences and noticed a huge improvement in quality of rooms and management. The managers greeted us with a warm handshake and offered to assist us with directions. The quality of the rooms improved each time we stayed and were updated with newer furniture and bedding. Close to downtown and very clean, comfortable and affordable. It has become a ritual for a group of us to stay there when we visit Nanaimo.

• Stayed June 2011, travelled with friends
6 Thank TravelGuy2727
Surrey, Canada
Reviewed 16 November 2010

WOULD NOT RECOMMEND THIS MOTEL TO ANYONE IN THEIR RIGHT MIND...housekeeping is not up to snuf..cobwebs everywhere..bathtub was dirty and pee smelling around the toilet cause it hadn't been cleaned up..drapes are ragged on the window side...carpets are soooo old that even if they attempted to clean them, am sure they would look the same...musty smelling and old inside...need new windows as well...
Outside area is very neglected...needs some maintenance very badly...door to our room needed weather stripping as there was a nasty draft blowing thru the crack when we were there as it was a chilly and windy night...all in all, a run down motel....need some TLC and some $$$$ spent on cleaning and fixing it up...

• Stayed October 2010, travelled as a couple
6 Thank upset71

Travellers are raving about these Nanaimo hotels

Vancouver
Reviewed 1 August 2008

I checked into this hotel late at night. Although the staff was friendly, the room was quite dirty. The toilet was dirty and the floor had not been vacuumed. The bed was made but the sheets smelled like they had not been washed. Luckily I had a sleeping bag with me in the car. When I complained the next day, the office staff just laughed about it because they were looking for a new housekeeper anyway.

• Liked — The staff at the front desk were friendly.
  • Disliked — It was very dirty.
  • Stayed July 2008, travelled with family
    • Check-in / front desk
    • Business service (e.g., internet access)
6 Thank Colson713
Edmonton AB
Reviewed 5 July 2008

We were on our last days of our trip to Vancouver Island, and were for the most part staying with family. We decided that we needed a couple of nights to ourselves away from everyone and all the commotion to get some much needed rest as I live with fibromyalgia. We had stayed one night at another hotel just across and up the street that was very dirty and very noisy and had some questionable 2am male/female activities going on..(I think you get the picture). So we saw that this hotel had a pool and my daughters were bored and we booked a room for one night.
Well all I can say is thank god it was only for one night!
The room was VERY small and MUSTY, so it was difficult for me especially with my illness.
The pool was questionable as to cleanliness (bugs and leaves and such), although my girls did swim in it, as it was terribly hot and we decided it was no different than mother natures lakes. Besides the air conditioner did not work properly, and it helped cool them off enough to sleep.
Sleep, ah....There were renovations going on that woke us in the early morning.
I do want to say the new owner lady was very friendly and tried very hard. She seemed to be genuine in wanting to get her newly owned hotel up to par.
The rate was also very good (based on location only), but it would go a long way if the other things were better.
There were restaurants and such nearby including White Spot which is my personal favorite so that made things nice for breakfast in the morning.
Not the worst hotel/motel we have ever stayed in. (The one across the street was awful), but not the best (by price/type) either.

• Liked — Location and friendly check in, and sincere attempt to make things better for us.
  • Disliked — MUSTY moldy smell and small crowded room
  • Stayed August 2005, travelled with family
5 Thank reviews111
Canada
Reviewed 26 January 2008

Lets just say the hotel website is slightly misleading as to the look and comfort of this motel.

4 of us stayed at this "place" for 1 week as there was nothing else available in Nanaimo. We had booked a suite with a kitchenette and received exactly that. 1 Queen bed, 1 single bed, and one perfectly coat hanger equipped pull out couch. Its unfortunate the floor was more comfortable for my kids then the pull out.

Kitchenette = 1 plate, 1 fork, 1 spoon and a 2 burner hot plate where only one works, if you call on and off working. This was remedied by the hotel staff by stealing all the required items out of another room so they could be without.

I am thankful for my vanillorama air freshener, which made the living room bearable. I am not thankful for the moldy, musty smell in the bathroom as I was not able to cure this as it was the shower curtain itself that smelled.

Keep your shoes on in this place if you value your socks white or just wear black socks to cure the problem of cleanliness.

The room comes with a fantastic window with a view of the pool ( more on that later) The window is about 10 feet long and 5 feet tall and opens to allow plenty of air in. Oh, did I mention it also doesn't lock and allows anyone in that wants to be?

I highly recommend bringing some foldable chairs as the supplied mis-matched furniture is no more comfortable than sitting on a camels back for an extended period of time.

The "heated" pool. Well well what can I say. It certainly is heated by the sun as the heating system had a leak and was under repair. It is fantastic listening to a concrete cutter for days trying to repair this issue.

I recommend signing up on their room cleaning program since the cleaning service appeared to be optional - 2 days out of 7 no one even came to our room to make beds or bring towels.

I am certain I have forgotten a few mishaps but I think you get the idea.

• Liked — The price
  • Disliked — The room
  • Stayed August 2007, travelled with family
9 Thank Schmingie
bc, canada
Reviewed 29 August 2005

We were looking for a motel in Nanaimo to stay one night that
was relatively inexpensive and would accommodate a couple
and 2 teenagers who each needed their own bed.

Port O Call filled this requirement with a suite having a bedroom
with a queen size bed and a main room with another queen size bed and a fold out couch for $85.00 canadian. It also had a pool and a very small kitchen
area with fridge/hot plate/microwave/toaster and plates.

It was clean and very comfortable although a little worn.

On the downside there was no airconditioning and quite noisy on a warm
summer evening due to traffic noises.

I'd come again but probably prefer cooler days when you could close the
windows.

Very pleased with the suite arrangement.

• Stayed August 2005