“Scary place, stay away!”
1 of 5 bubbles Review of Port-O-Call Motel

Port-O-Call Motel
Port-O-Call Motel
Ranked #12 of 19 Hotels in Nanaimo
Victoria, Canada
“Scary place, stay away!”
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 1 July 2013

We booked for two nights and stayed only one. The first room they gave to us the shower hadn't been cleaned. We were moved to a room on the ground floor. Bars on the windows and the blinds were not wide enough for the windows. Most of the electrical outlets did not work, and no airconditioning.

• Stayed June 2013, travelled with family
4 Thank Patricia W

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (8)
Vancouver
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 24 September 2012

I needed a cheap place to stay for two nights in Nanaimo this summer. I was going to reserve the Ramada or Quality Inn but seemed like there was a provincial function so all rooms were booked. Let me list the pros and cons of this motel:

Pros-
1) Adequate parking spaces.

2)Lady was willing to wait for me to sign me in after I missed my ferry. So I was able to sign in at the front desk at 11pm at night.

Cons -
1) Lady who signed me in didn't smile once. Glared at me. I tried being nice and tried to initiate a conversation, but the lady at the reception was not interested. All she wanted was my credit card to process payment. When I asked here where my room was, she said "Its upstairs. Figure it out"

2) No Air Conditioner. They had one fan that was weak. Definitely made it sleeping on a summer night very difficult.

3) Room lights didn't work.

4)The socket near the beds didn't work. One socket was shared between the TV, coffee maker, fridge and microwave so you have to decide which functions you want to use as there are only TWO sockets you can use at once.

5) TV remote control didn't work - batteries were dead

6) Hair in the bathtub and hand basin

7) TOILET WAS UNFLUSHED!!!! When we lifted the cover, there was A PIECE OF NO. 2 IN THE TOILET!!!

It was the middle of summer, but the fountain/swimming pool was not functional.

Please avoid. Pay $15 more for the clean and air-conned Ramada across the street! I'm serious.

Stayed August 2012, travelled with friends
6 Thank Linda C

Travellers are raving about these Nanaimo hotels

Fort Macleod, Canada
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 1 October 2011

I recently stayed at the Port-O-Call and found it to be clean, quiet, and affordable. The staff treated me like family and the food at the restaurant (Gilly B's) was excellent. The next time I'm in town I'll be staying at the Port-O-Call.

• Stayed September 2011, travelled solo
2 Thank Norton M
Tofino, Canada
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 11 June 2011

My colleagues and I have stayed here several times over the past year for teacher conferences and noticed a huge improvement in quality of rooms and management. The managers greeted us with a warm handshake and offered to assist us with directions. The quality of the rooms improved each time we stayed and were updated with newer furniture and bedding. Close to downtown and very clean, comfortable and affordable. It has become a ritual for a group of us to stay there when we visit Nanaimo.

• Stayed June 2011, travelled with friends
6 Thank TravelGuy2727
Surrey, Canada
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 16 November 2010

WOULD NOT RECOMMEND THIS MOTEL TO ANYONE IN THEIR RIGHT MIND...housekeeping is not up to snuf..cobwebs everywhere..bathtub was dirty and pee smelling around the toilet cause it hadn't been cleaned up..drapes are ragged on the window side...carpets are soooo old that even if they attempted to clean them, am sure they would look the same...musty smelling and old inside...need new windows as well...
Outside area is very neglected...needs some maintenance very badly...door to our room needed weather stripping as there was a nasty draft blowing thru the crack when we were there as it was a chilly and windy night...all in all, a run down motel....need some TLC and some $$$$ spent on cleaning and fixing it up...

• Stayed October 2010, travelled as a couple
6 Thank upset71
Vancouver
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 1 August 2008

I checked into this hotel late at night. Although the staff was friendly, the room was quite dirty. The toilet was dirty and the floor had not been vacuumed. The bed was made but the sheets smelled like they had not been washed. Luckily I had a sleeping bag with me in the car. When I complained the next day, the office staff just laughed about it because they were looking for a new housekeeper anyway.

• Liked — The staff at the front desk were friendly.
  • Disliked — It was very dirty.
  • Stayed July 2008, travelled with family
    • Check-in / front desk
    • Business service (e.g., internet access)
6 Thank Colson713
Edmonton AB
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 5 July 2008

We were on our last days of our trip to Vancouver Island, and were for the most part staying with family. We decided that we needed a couple of nights to ourselves away from everyone and all the commotion to get some much needed rest as I live with fibromyalgia. We had stayed one night at another hotel just across and up the street that was very dirty and very noisy and had some questionable 2am male/female activities going on..(I think you get the picture). So we saw that this hotel had a pool and my daughters were bored and we booked a room for one night.
Well all I can say is thank god it was only for one night!
The room was VERY small and MUSTY, so it was difficult for me especially with my illness.
The pool was questionable as to cleanliness (bugs and leaves and such), although my girls did swim in it, as it was terribly hot and we decided it was no different than mother natures lakes. Besides the air conditioner did not work properly, and it helped cool them off enough to sleep.
Sleep, ah....There were renovations going on that woke us in the early morning.
I do want to say the new owner lady was very friendly and tried very hard. She seemed to be genuine in wanting to get her newly owned hotel up to par.
The rate was also very good (based on location only), but it would go a long way if the other things were better.
There were restaurants and such nearby including White Spot which is my personal favorite so that made things nice for breakfast in the morning.
Not the worst hotel/motel we have ever stayed in. (The one across the street was awful), but not the best (by price/type) either.

• Liked — Location and friendly check in, and sincere attempt to make things better for us.
  • Disliked — MUSTY moldy smell and small crowded room
  • Stayed August 2005, travelled with family