“Love it here!”

Coast Bastion Hotel
Ranked #2 of 18 Hotels in Nanaimo
Reviewed 25 July 2011

We spent 5 nights here on the third floor and loved this hotel from top to bottom. The rooms were attractive and comfortable and the bathroom was a really good size.

I liked the conservation attitude of the hotel which included having dual flush toilets and large refillable soap/shampoo/body lotion bottles. These large bottles were much easier to dispense product from too! Loved that!

The front desk staff were awesome; super helpful and lots of fun too!

The restaurant is beautifully decorated, the service was exceptional and the food was delicious.

There is a charge for parking of about $8 per night with in and out privileges. The parking is in the attached parkade and felt safe and secure with and elevator directly into the hotel.

The location of this hotel was perfect for wandering and exploring downtown and it's unique little shops as well as strolling along the wharf. There are a number of local restaurants close by but if you prefer the chain restaurants you will have to drive about 5 minutes north to the mall area to get to those.

The only downside to this hotel is the hallway noise. We heard every door open and close. Because of the downtown location, there is some street noise but we found that if we just turned the fan on low it was enough to cover it up.

Overall though, it was a great experience and most importantly we slept like babies! :)

• Stayed: July 2011, travelled with family
Write a ReviewReviews (1,558)

Reviewed 24 July 2011

just returned from 2 weeks on vancouver island. best hotel we stayed at. cleanest room,exceptionally friendly,knowledgeable and helpful staff.great harbor location

• Stayed: July 2011, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 11 July 2011

Our room was decorated in European style. The bed was so comfortable and the room was very clean and bright. We also had a good view of the waterfront. The location was perfect for downtown and waterfront activities. The staff were great and we would highly recommend this hotel.

• Stayed: July 2011, travelled as a couple
1  Thank Traveller2004Feb
Reviewed 2 July 2011

YES, it was a nice place and seemed well run and clean, but I can get that at lower cost(s) than what I paid here. The check in and out was smooth and the lobby clean and so was my room clean and sparkling, but that and location didn't merit what I paid. I've paid far less and had just as much if mot more in terms of service and or value. However it is just across the street from the seaplanes and close (walking distance) to shops and restaurants so location is great. Breakfast was just average, I'd say maybe even uninspired, and the gym had some equipment which was downright dangerous, like frayed wires and loose parts.The tv comes on really loud in the morning EVEN if you turn the volume all the way down on the remote control the night before beware. Internet computer is down the hall from the front reception area.

Room Tip: Get a balcony room for the view
  • Stayed: August 2010, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 21 June 2011

this is the worst cutomer service i have ever experienced the staff had no enthusiasium followed policy to the end but couldn't help someone who travels with a debit card made me feel like a criminal and unwanted i'm 53 yrs old a boomer who doesn't live on credit.i will never recommend this hotel but if u go to naniamo stay at the dorchester i moved there for the rest of my stay and they were awesome to me they know customer service

• Stayed: June 2011, travelled with family
3  Thank frustrated1958
Reviewed 12 June 2011

I have just returned from this hotel. After leaving it we stayed at the Coast in Victoria (so so and not nearly as nice) then the Coast in Vancouver (a dump)
The Coast Bastian is well located, the staff was friendly and helpful.
Our room was clean and bed comfortable. Towels were oversized - a plus.
Flat screen TV was nice. Free wireless internet was a plus.
Parking was expensive and we were not prepared for that surprise. Parking garage very confusing and our friend was constantly having trouble trying to locate her car. Not good for a woman alone.

Room Tip: I believe most rooms have a view of the water.
  • Stayed: June 2011, travelled with friends
1  Thank BC-Lynda
Reviewed 9 June 2011

Honestly, I typically stay at the coast chain while in BC, but it can be an up and down ride. This time around, some major issues came up and I am not sure I can recommend it any longer.
I stayed at this location 4 nights.
My room was very comfortable and very fresh and clean.
The staff at this location are EXCEPTIONAL..the airport lost my luggage and the late reception staff were unbelievably helpful and supportive. Also in general the reception staff and conference staff were always ready to accommodate in a polite and efficient way. Additionally, the spa are an added bonus and the staff there and treatment I received was exceptional.
However, the staff at the restaurant at this location (with the exception of the men) were horribly rude on several occasions. In one instance, in a preliminary business venture, I invited some guests for breakfast, and the waitress totally IGNORED them, not offering them a menu or any chance to order. It was painful to watch and I had to apologize for her behavior.
Also, half the time I was here, I was poured a glass of wine that was barely filled 1/3 of the glass. This is significantly different than most of my experiences getting a glass of red house wine and I am certain I have been ripped off. My other meals at the restaurant have been far below average and absurdly expensive.
Lastly, for a reason i don't personally understand, dogs are allowed to stay at this hotel. For the past two nights I have endured a noisy yapping dog across from me (that barked and seriously scared me on two instances) and a screaming baby whose cries all day while her parents are out (I am assuming) were tragic to endure.
Good luck to anyone that stays here, I believe it can be a quality hotel if it irons out its deficiencies.

• Stayed: June 2011, travelled on business