“Excellent Place to stay in Nanaimo”

Coast Bastion Hotel
Ranked #2 of 18 Hotels in Nanaimo
Reviewed 21 November 2013

We spent 3 days at the Coast Bastion Hotel, the room was sparkling clean, the view of the ocean wonderful, the staff helpful and friendly, it was an excellent choice.

We were at a conference so the meals were included, we were really impressed. The food was cooked to perfection, the steak dinner served at the ball was superb!

This hotel exceeded our expectation, we would highly recommend it if you are looking for a place to stay in the heart of Nanaimo.

The only negative was that one of the elevators was not in service.

Reviewed 17 November 2013

This is an older property that the Coast chain has renovated fairly nicely. Location is very good, with access to downtown ammenities and nice view of the harbour. Easy walk to convention centre. Staff was very prompt and helpful and rooms clean and comfy. One elevator wasn't working, which delayed us getting in and out of our room, as there were several events booked.

Not a luxury property, but ok for business travel and meetings.

Room Tip: Try to get on the harbour side.
Reviewed 16 November 2013

No surprises, just a nice comfortable stay in downtown Nanaimo. Great for business travel as float plane dock is across the street and ferry terminal a five minute drive. Noon checkout also a nice treat.

Reviewed 14 November 2013

Stayed at the hotel with a varsity soccer team for provincials. The rooms were first class best we stayed at all season, the staff friendly and helpful. Great location for everything we needed and close to the park. Can't say enough good things about the hotel and staff. Thank you again and we will see you soon

• Stayed: October 2013, travelled on business
David R, General Manager at Coast Bastion Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded 19 November 2013

Dear MaikoGel,

Thank you for recently staying with us at the Coast Bastion Hotel. We value each guest, as we know that you have a choice when deciding where to stay while here in Nanaimo to for sporting events, business or pleasure.

The Coast Bastion Hotel is an ideal location for any sport team who enjoys a comfortable sleep after a long day of competition. Our downtown location makes for convenient access to VIU, Nanaimo Ice Centre or the Rotary Bowl Track & Field Club.

Thank you for choosing the Coast Bastion Hotel. We are looking forward to having you and your teammates as our guests again soon.

Reviewed 12 November 2013

Stayed at the Coast for 3 nights and had a good stay overall. We were in a premium king suite and the best part was the lovely view. Beds were comfortable and bathroom was spacious. Nice renovations done throughout. Great location and walking distance to shops and restaurants. Float planes taking off in the mornings can be a bit noisy.

Would recommend this hotel!

Reviewed 12 November 2013

We checked into our room and my four year old son asked if he could go out on the deck, which I said yes. He went out with his socks on and called me to tell me he accidental stepped in dog poo. It was dark outside so he was unable to see it. I called the front desk immediately to explain what had happened and that we needed someone to clean it up. They sent someone right away and my husband went to the front desk to complain. They offered a $30 F&B credit. An hour or so later, myself and my one year old and four year old where getting ready for bed while my husband was getting ready to go see a film. Myself and the youngest were lying down on the bed and I noticed that something smelled awful. I smelled myself, my son and had my husband come over and smell the area we were lying down on. The " feta cheese" smell would not go away so we took off the sheets and right where we had been lying down there was a large stain. The location of it was near the head so it had obviously been a vomit stain. I still don't quite understand how this got missed by housekeeping. The smell made me nauseous and it was all I could smell for the rest of the evening. My husband called the front desk to express our concerns, he was not happy about the situation. FD offered to change our room and we demanded a room on the same floor. It was such an inconvenience having to change rooms In the midst of our bedtime routine with our children and my husband was about to leave to go see a film. The FD clerk was helpful moving our bags to the other room across the hallway. It was clean.

Upon check out my husband had to once again explain what had happened to us the previous night. The FD agent apologized and mentioned that dogs weren't even suppose to be on our floor, they stay on the 5th floor. She offered a $20 room credit and an upgrade for our next stay. As my husband was walking out the door he noticed that on our bill we were charged twice for parking.

Overall our stay was such a disappointment. We have stayed at the Coast Bastion a few times this year but we will be staying elsewhere next time.

• Stayed: November 2013, travelled with family
1  Thank A L

Dear A L,

Thank you for choosing the Coast Bastion Hotel on your recent visit. We appreciate your business and look forward to seeing you again the next time you are in Nanaimo.

I had a chance to review the survey that you recently completed. I was so concerned to hear about your experience with our hotel that both myself and my Front Office Manager felt the need to speak with you in person. During our discussion you mentioned that you were very surprised by your experience as you are a loyal guest of the Coast Bastion Hotel and you know that this was nowhere near the high standards that our hotel normally adheres to. I realize that this does not change your experience but I hope that you can feel confident that we heard your concern and that we are definitely doing something about it.

I apologize again for the problems, and thank you for taking the time to let me know about it. Without your guest feedback we cannot continue to improve our services. We look forward to your return to the area.

Reviewed 10 November 2013

My husband and i took an overnight trip from Vancouver to Nanaimo and stayed at the Coast Bastion. We flew over with a Harbour Air floatplane (a very cool experience in itself), and the hotel is less than a 5 minute walk from where the plane lands.
The lobby is well designed and bright. The front desk staff were extremely friendly and welcoming. We were a bit early, but our room was ready for us. We got a complementary upgrade to a 270 degree ocean view room (probably because we were there for only one night and it was a slow weekend), and we got a complementary ferry pass to Protection Island where the 'Dinghy Dock Pub' is - apparently a very popular place to eat. Unfortunately, the pub was closed to the public for the evening due to a special event, but the ferry ride to the island was very nice, and the island looked like a nice place to walk and explore. We want to go back again when we have more time.
When we went up to our room, a gentleman was just checking the mini-bar from the last guest, and he spent quite a bit of time with us explaining the local area and attractions. When he went downstairs, he put together a small package of maps and such for us.
The hotel recently went through an upgrade and our room looked new and bright. Very tastefully decorated and comfortable.
We ate dinner and breakfast at their restaurant - Minnoz. Food and service was great. My husband had a 3 course prime-rib dinner for $29 and it was huge and tasty. It's nice to see a 'Yes we do that' attitude.
I can't say enough how amazing the service and atmosphere is at this hotel. A wonderful weekend getaway, and definitely on our list of 'come back to' places.

• Stayed: November 2013, travelled as a couple