“Remembrance Day View”

Ranked #1 of 18 Hotels in Nanaimo
Toronto, Canada
“Remembrance Day View”
Reviewed 28 December 2013

We stayed at the Coast Bastion as a base to visit friends spread around the southern part of Vancouver Island. We had a beautiful room - it even had an alcove with a wooden sculpture. The price was good - we negotiated with the very friendly desk clerk.

The view of the Harbour from the room was perfect and we were able to hear the bands playing at the city center for Remembrance Day. In fact we could see a lot of the main square. The hotel was clean modern and has a most unusual desk in the lobby.

The main streets and stores were close. There is parking attached and it was one of the cleanest garages I have seen. It is also very close to the ferry

Room Tip: The rooms facing the water have a peaceful view
  • Stayed November 2013, travelled as a couple

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (429)
  • Korean first
Reviewed 23 December 2013

I have stayed at the Coast Bastion on many occasions and have had a wonderful experience each and every time. I was recently en route to Nanaimo for a business trip when I was called back home to deal with an emergency. At that point, I was past the deadline for cancelling the reservation without penalty. I emailed the hotel to notify them and then called the reservation centre where I spoke to a wonderful young woman who indicated that it was beyond the cancellation deadline but that I should also call the hotel front desk. I did that and had a great conversation with the manager who assured me that they would waive cancellation due to the circumstances and that he hoped I would come back to the Coast Bastion at another time. I will of course return but want everyone to know what wonderful caring people are at the end of the phone and in person at this hotel. This is the kind of authentic service excellence that we all want and you will get it at the Coast Bastion!

• Stayed December 2013, travelled on business
Surrey
Reviewed 20 December 2013 via mobile

After trying several lodging options in Nanaimo, I've decided to just stick to the Coast when I come on business.

The rooms are super clean with comfortable bedding and great renovated bathrooms. All the rooms that I've stayed in have had a nice view.

The staff is very friendly and always ready to help. Parking is very inconvenient in this hotel but their valet service is only $8 which is well worth it.

It's located near commercial street which is trendy for Nanaimo with some very nice restaurants that you can just walk to from the hotel. The boardwalk right across from the hotel is beautiful for an evening stroll or morning run.

Definitely recommend this place.

Stayed December 2013, travelled on business
David R, General Manager at Coast Bastion Hotel, responded to this review, 27 December 2013
Dear Andy K,

Thank you for recently staying with us at the Coast Bastion Hotel. We value each guest, as we know that you have a choice when deciding where to stay while here in Nanaimo on business or pleasure.

We strive to exceed our guest expectations by providing the right room, the right technology and the right service to make every stay relaxing, invigorating, stimulating and filled with positive interactions.

We look forward to welcoming you back again soon.
Surrey, Canada
Reviewed 18 December 2013

I had an opportunity to stay in a very lovely, clean comfortable room plus use one of the conference rooms for business matters. My experience was excellent and I would recommend this establishment. It is well organized and their staff have been trained to be very helpful and cordial.

Stayed December 2013, travelled on business
Comox, Canada
Reviewed 18 December 2013

King sized bed, windows all around the front and side of room, which was huge. Gorgeous view of the water. Boats lit up for Christmas. Great breakfast in the morning. Comfortable, clean and staff very friendly, and prompt with check in and check out. Will stay here again.

Room Tip: If you want a relaxing bath spend the extra money for the jacuzzi suite. The regular tubs are not co...
  • Stayed December 2013, travelled as a couple
1 Thank 275shark
British Columbia
Reviewed 3 December 2013

Perefect, clean, modern stopover for the business traveller... Well-situated downtown, on the waterfront, within walking distance to numerous "Old Town" shops and some of Nanaimo's best restaurants... including the off-the-beaten-track gem - The Nest Bistro. Mid-week, it was no great inconvenience that the elevator was down for repairs and waiting for parts... not sure how that would go down in a busy summer weekend! Ian and Jack, at the front desk, are truly professional concierges. Sometimes they even remember my name from stay to stay...

Room Tip: ... ask for waterfront, go high - then you can crack your windows open without so much of the night...
  • Stayed December 2013, travelled on business
David R, General Manager at Coast Bastion Hotel, responded to this review, 18 December 2013
Dear Widget50,

Thank you for staying with us at the Coast Bastion Hotel and for taking the time to post a review about your experiences with our hotel and staff.

We agree that our central, downtown location makes our hotel the ideal accommodation provider for the business traveler. We pride oursleves in going above and beyond for our guests and we strive to deliver warm welcoming service during every stay.

I apologize for any inconvenience caused to you when our 2nd elevator was out of service. I am happy to report that the repairs have been made and the elevator is now operational once again.

Thank you for choosing the Coast Bastion Hotel. We are looking forward to having you as our guest again soon.
Victoria, Canada
Reviewed 2 December 2013

Really enjoyed our recent stay at the Coast Bastion Hotel. The room was bright and comfortable with a great view of the harbour. My husband was at a conference while I had some time to shop and go to the spa. The day of my planned walk about in the art district area it rained. I had no problem with the weather because I was able to borrow an umbrella for my excursion. All the staff I encountered during my stay were cheerful and helpful. The spa, while not world class, was very nice. The girls sweet and competent with services. The lounge and restaurant staffed with fun people serving good food and drinks. Especially the Nanaimo bar cheese cake, so tasty. Eating breakfast alone, I was made to feel comfortable and never lacked for attention. Just one fly in the ointment, one of the elevators was out of service the weekend of our stay and this made for some crowded rides. Mind you the place was buzzing with Christmas parties and those crowded elevator rides could be quite interesting.

• Stayed November 2013, travelled on business