“Great views, bit pricey”

Coast Bastion Hotel
Ranked #1 of 19 Hotels in Nanaimo
Vancouver, Canada
“Great views, bit pricey”
Reviewed 21 May 2014

Beautiful place to stay if you're not on a budget. Great oceanside location downtown... friendly, accommodating and cozy. But there are just-as-nice places that are less expensive. Parking was a nightmare - especially for oversize (only street parking at your own risk).

• Stayed May 2014, travelled on business

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (392)
  • Korean first
Victoria, Canada
Reviewed 21 May 2014

This is by far the best hotel in Nanaimo. The views of Nanaimo harbor are amazing and the rooms are clean and well appointed. The bed and the pillows were so comfortable that I had no problem getting to sleep and staying asleep, which is unusual for me in a hotel, at least on the first night. We ate in the dining room as it was rated quite high on Tripadvisor and we weren't disappointed. We really enjoyed our dinners. We had a salad with chicken and avocado, scallops, a cheese plate, and yam fries. Yummm. We'll be back!

• Stayed May 2014, travelled as a couple
Salmon Arm, Canada
Reviewed 17 May 2014

Stayed here for one night and enjoyed it a lot. I had a room on the 15th floor with a small balcony and a very impressive view of the harbor and surrounding islands. Parking was easy enough to figure out in the attached parking garage next door. The internet was very good. The room was spacious and was so quiet I was starting to think I had the entire 15th floor to myself. The towels in the bathroom were amazing. I am used to the hotel towels that are scratchy and small. The towels here were huge and soft. I seriously considered buying a couple of them I liked them that much. The only very minor thing I would suggest changing is to renovate the lobby a little bit. The front desk isn't far from the doors to the hotel so when there are a bunch of people lined up at the desk checking in there is very little room to walk past the front desk. I would most definitely stay in this hotel again the next time my travels bring me to Nanaimo.

• Stayed May 2014, travelled solo
1 Thank CptCanuck74
Seattle, Washington
Reviewed 13 May 2014

Stayed here one night to attend concert at the Port Theatre. Spacious, tasteful room, very comfortable beds, well-lit. Nice to have comfy chair for reading by the balcony, with open fresh sea air. Bath room was very well supplied, super clean, great towels. Plush bath robes in the closet. Amply supplied minibar. Excellent coffee service kit in-room. Staff was cheerful, friendly. Paid the extra $20 for a nice view of the port. Did not try the on site restaurant, but it looked very inviting, nice menu, and smelled lovely when we passed by. Wireless Internet access was fast. Parking was $8.50 CAD for 24 hours, slightly silly that had we paid in the garage, it would have been $8.00 CAD. Great location -- easy walk to wharf, places to eat, theatre, shopping in quaint, low-key waterfront tourist town. Only reason did not rate higher, is that did not stay long enough to check out the rest of the facilities in the hotel.

Room Tip: Ask for a view room, worth the extra price in my book for a leisure stay.
  • Stayed May 2014, travelled with friends
2 Thank JSWKingsfield
David R, General Manager at Coast Bastion Hotel, responded to this review, 20 May 2014
Dear JSWKingsfield,

Thank you for recently staying with us at the Coast Bastion Hotel. We value each guest, as we know that you have a choice when deciding where to stay while here in Nanaimo on business or pleasure.

We strive to exceed our guest expectations by providing the right room, the right technology and the right service to make every stay relaxing, invigorating, stimulating and filled with positive interactions.

Thank you again for your feedback, we truly appreciate knowing about our guest’s experiences so we can celebrate our successes and address our challenges to better serve you in the future. We look forward to your return when you are in the area again.
Buenas vista
Reviewed 12 May 2014

This place is awesome. I've traveled all over north America and never received the service I did hear. Highly recommended. Ladies at the front desk went over and above what they had to do. I lost a shirt I was air drying on the balcony they found it pronto. If I'm ever back in nanaimo this will be the only hotel for me.

New Westminster, Canada
Reviewed 7 May 2014 via mobile

Great hotel and room was in great shape with an awesome view. No troubles at all! Checkin was prompt and service was very friendly, I would recommend this hotel when staying in Nanaimo. I did not try the restaurant but it looked cleaned and inviting.

Review collected in partnership with Coast Hotels

Vancouver, Canada
Reviewed 4 May 2014 via mobile

I will never stay there again. We were not told when we made the reservation that we would have to pay for parking everyday or that the rooms only have double beds. Also, no pool here so don't stay here if you have children. Staff were rude and arrogant and had no idea how to treat their guests with respect. It was the worst experience I have had at a hotel.

3 Thank Nedra2013
David R, General Manager at Coast Bastion Hotel, responded to this review, 7 May 2014
Thank you for taking the time to complete a review of your recent stay with us. Our goal is to not only meet the needs of each and every guest we serve, but to exceed your expectations and to make your stay as pleasant and comfortable as possible.

I apologize for the inconvenience caused to you by not being informed in advance that there was a fee for parking. Unfortunately like most hotels that are located in a city centre parking is at a premium and therefore a fee is charged. Our reservation agents are trained to verbally confirm all details including room types when making reservations on behalf of a guest. They follow up the verbal confirmation with an email that confirms arrival & departure dates, room types and room rates. We hope that although the bed size was not as expected you still enjoyed a comfortable sleep.

We are a family friendly hotel and appreciate and welcome all guests - this includes sports teams, and more. We are always mindful of the needs of our different guests and we try our best to give everyone a positive and relaxing experience. Our Ambassadors receive ongoing guest service training, however when faced with the challenge of ensuring the safety and security of our guests their assertiveness may have come across as being rude. I have discussed your comments with our team and I have reminded them of the importance of remaining professional at all times even in adverse situations.

Please accept our most sincere apologies for letting you down. We hope you will consider staying with us again, and hope to provide you with a more satisfying hotel experience.