Buccaneer Inn(Nanaimo)
Free cancellation until 25/07
US$175
US$64
Savings alert! 10% below average rates

The price you found is 10% lower than this hotel's average rate of US$71/night.

US$135
US$159
US$125
US$90
Savings alert! 20% below average rates

The price you found is 20% lower than this hotel's average rate of US$113/night.

Free cancellation until 28/07
US$193
US$179
Painted Turtle Guesthouse(Nanaimo)(Great Value!)
US$71
  • Bar/Lounge
TripAdvisor
1,696 results
All reviewsminnoz restaurantgreat viewparking garagegreat hotelroom servicesmall balconyharbour viewdowntown nanaimofront desk staffhotel restaurantgreat roomcentral locationclean roomseasy accesschaiseconferenceelevator
Reviewed 1 June 2010

Despite my polite greetings and a big smile, the front desk clerk looked like he hated me! He gave me this bone-chilling cold stare and impatiently sighed and rolled his eyes upwards when I asked him to repeat his parking instructions. I thought for a moment the reason for him being so cold. I wondered if it had anything to do with me being an Asian in this small town. I was a professional woman travelling with family for a children’s sporting event. Later on, I caught the same clerk giving others the same cold and hateful stare. OK, maybe there was nothing personal in his coldness, but this is definitely not a person who should work in the hotel industry. I have never met any clerk being so unpleasant in my travel around the world!

Thankfully, the clerk did allow us to check in early. The room was a nice surprise! It has just been renovated and the decoration and furniture were fresh and trendy. The beds and quilts were comfortable. The bathroom was clean and shinning. The ocean and harbor view was nice. The free wireless internet was working. When I noticed that we couldn’t lock the door, the front desk sent up a maintenance worker immediately and took two tiny door stoppers out of the frame. The parkade was not inside the hotel and it looked unsafe. We cleaned out our car before leaving.

When I checked out the next morning, I braced myself of meeting that dreadful clerk again. Luckily this time, the lady at the desk was friendly, pleasant, and efficient. Instead of spending all the money renovating, the hotel may want to think about spending some money on training some of their staff!!

• Stayed: May 2010, travelled with family
1  Thank Leilei_Victoria
Reviewed 4 April 2010

The Coast Bastion Inn is a beautiful hotel located on the water and harbor in Nanaimo BC. The room was recently renovated and was gorgeous. The beds were comfortable and the bathroom was beautiful. The balcony is tiny and really just barely enough room to stand on but the view was spectacular. One of the best features of this hotel is its restaurant Minnoz. The dinner was wonderful and breakfast fantastic. I highly recommend this hotel.

• Stayed: March 2010, travelled solo
Reviewed 4 March 2010

The room was really up-to-date in style with quality finishings and lots of space, good view. However, as is often the case in North American hotels, there was no ventilation in the bathroom! The hallways are very dingy.

The heater broke down one night but was replaced by a portable one. The service was generally friendly, except the bar tender who had a negative attitude and tossed beer coasters like frisbees at customers. The food was quite good.

• Stayed: March 2010, travelled on business
Reviewed 28 September 2009

Large clean room with excellent bed. Very good lighting and a bathroom you may not want to leave. However, the room has a "moderne" style which is quite sterile and may not appeal to some who like a more home-style room. Parking is extra and a multi-layer parkade is in the next building. Anybody can access the parkade which exits on to a main roadway so security may be an issue. It wasn't for us but we completely cleaned our car out to be safe. The TV remote has some kind of power saver function which made changing channels weird and a pain.

This is a very nice hotel which afforded us a spectacular view of the harbour and surrounding district.

• Stayed: August 2009, travelled as a couple
1  Thank trafdlo
Reviewed 27 September 2009

Wow! This hotel just had a great facelift and is a real joy to stay in. The rooms are clean and modern and well laid out. Great big screen tv, nice seating area, bedding bath all fabulous.

Advice to hotel to improve even more. Reno did not include halls which are dark and dated and elevators which are crummy arborite from the 80's. The elevator especially is a cheap and easy fix, so I really hope they do it.

Also no pop machines on the floors so forced to use mini bar, which was strange, but prices not crazy.

Overall very very happy! Thanks!

• Stayed: September 2009, travelled on business