“One night stay”

Howard Johnson Hotel - Nanaimo Harbourside
Ranked #11 of 18 Hotels in Nanaimo
Reviewed 27 June 2014

Stayed here for the night after getting off the ferry. From the outside it looks like an old hotel but they have done a lot of work on the inside to make it up to date. Very comfortable and reasonable. they do not provide breakfast but there is a Tim Horton's across the street.

• Stayed: June 2014, travelled as a couple
Erik B, Manager at Howard Johnson Hotel - Nanaimo Harbourside, responded to this reviewResponded 1 September 2015

Good Day
Thank you very much for taking the time to post your comments about your recent stay on TripAdvisor. We are happy that you enjoyed your stay

The staff take great pride in providing clean and comfortable rooms, great service, location and value.

The management and staff do appreciate customer feedback to see how we are doing. We can only improve our service by hearing from our valued guests.

Erik Brook
Manager of Operations

Reviewed 25 June 2014

This was the only place in Nanaimo that would allow us to stay with our large rotty dog. Erik was very helpful in booking my reservation to include my dog. It is an older property but the room was clean and had no complaints. Thanks again!

• Stayed: June 2014, travelled with family
Reviewed 23 June 2014

This hotel needs a Reno in the worst way. The rooms smell musty and there was mould in the bathroom. Carpets were tired, no screens in the windows. Beds were tired (as was I).
No breakfast included but there is a restaurant on site. Breakfast wasn't great but there is a Timmie's across the parking lot.
Hotel is really close to the ferry but isn't in a great part of town. Give this one a miss...

• Stayed: June 2014, travelled with family
1  Thank cathyandcolleen
Reviewed 19 June 2014

• Stayed: June 2014, travelled on business
Reviewed 17 June 2014

I was dissapointed with the dirty smell of the room as well as the quality of beds, tv, and all furniture. I understand that the rooms are cheaper, and the higher end hotels in the area were all booked, but next trip I will plan ahead so as not to have to spend a night in a hotel of that quality. I would gladly spend an extra $30 a night to stay somewhere clean and comfortable

• Stayed: June 2014, travelled on business
Review collected in partnership with Howard Johnson
Erik B, Manager at Howard Johnson Hotel - Nanaimo Harbourside, responded to this reviewResponded 5 September 2014

Good Day Calvin
We appreciate you taking the time to post your comments about your recent stay at the Howard Johnson Harbourside Hotel Nanaimo. We are an older property but all the staff take pride and have a passion for providing great service, location and value and room cleanliness. I am sorry that the room had an odour and seemed dusty. I have passed on your comments to our housekeeping team.
Thank you again for taking the time to post your comments
Regards,
Erik Brook
Manager of Operations

Reviewed 12 June 2014

• Stayed: June 2014, travelled with friends
Reviewed 12 June 2014

after driving all night and heading to the ferry to go back t the mainland I decided to call the hotel and get a room. I think I woke the guy up when I called him but I got a room saved. when arrived I noticed I got the last room and it was 1am. the room was very small and outdated but very clean. I was super tired I went to bed right away. Very quiet for a full house and I had a view of the pool then some other rooms had a view of the busy road on terminal. I did get a wake up call and free newspaper that was enjoyable. if I was ever in town again I would stay here again.

Room Tip: Get a view of the pool if your staying a few nights, more quiet on that side.