“Nice hotel”

The Inn on Long Lake
Ranked #3 of 18 Hotels in Nanaimo
GreenLeadersBronze level
Reviewed 26 April 2013

I had a last minute change of plans and fortunately for me I managed to find a room at The Inn on Long Lake. Check-in was a breeze thanks to the pleasant young lady at the front desk. The room was very roomy as was the bathroom. It had all the amenities one could expect. I am not certain about the other wings but the wing I stayed in was more a motel than a hotel which I guess does not matter much. I left before breakfast began so I can't comment on that. All in all it is as probably as nice a place as you will find in Nanaimo.

Room Tip: I believe all rooms have a view of a very beautiful lake behind the Inn. The doors between the eleva...
  • Stayed: April 2013, travelled on business
NanaimoManager, General Manager at The Inn on Long Lake, responded to this reviewResponded 13 May 2013

I am glad you enjoyed your stay with us. I am sorry that you were not able to enjoy the breakfast though. I think that between our fantastic staff, our spacious, comfy rooms, and our incredible view, that we are the best little hotel in town.
Thank you for taking the time to review our property. We look forward to seeing you on your next visit to Nanaimo.

Reviewed 18 April 2013

The room wasn't especially exciting, but wifi, flat screen, kitchenette and amazing view of lake a bonus. The hot tub and weight-room was a special luxury and just a short stroll from our room. Room service was more than helpful and continental breakfast, unforgettable. My daughter and I would stay here again in a heartbeat. What a treat not to mention, delicious Chinese was delivered in less than 25min. Loved it!

Room Tip: It was a real convenience to be on ground floor facing lake; Continental Breakfast to one side, the...
  • Stayed: March 2013, travelled with family
NanaimoManager, General Manager at The Inn on Long Lake, responded to this reviewResponded 20 April 2013

I am so pleased that you enjoyed your stay with us, and that you will be back. We pride ourselves on being clean, comfy, and friendly! I think we have a truly unique location, being close to everything-shopping, restaurants, movies, and transportation, yet being very peaceful and tranquil on our lakeshore. We will soon be putting our pedal boats and kayaks in the water for the summer too.
Thank you for taking a few moments to write this review.

Reviewed 11 April 2013

Since we have 2 dogs we always stay at the Inn on Long Lake when we visit Nanaimo. Not only is the Inn pet friendly, they are pretty people friendly too. Reservations and front desk staff are personable and helpful. The rooms are clean (so important !) and fresh. There is a complimentary breakfast - not really a breakfast, but I surely appreciate a cup of coffee and a danish when I'm starving in the morning. There is ample space to walk the dogs and the lake is a pretty walk. Dog people should ask for a room on the ground floor as you can pass through the room - front door entry from the parking area, sliding glass doors in the back facing the lake should you need to gets the dog outside quickly. It's not a very fancy place, but it is nice, affordable and in a pretty convenient location. We will continue to stay here.

Room Tip: People with pets should ask for a ground level room - easy access to grass through the slliding glas...
  • Stayed: December 2012, travelled with family
NanaimoManager, General Manager at The Inn on Long Lake, responded to this reviewResponded 16 April 2013

I am glad to hear how much you like our property. I think we have a great crew working here. Our housekeepers take a lot of pride in the job they do, and will be thrilled to know that our guests do notice.
We do have a unique property, being right on the shore of Long Lake. While enjoying the view of the lake, it is easy to forget that we are still in the City, and close to shopping, restaurants, movies, and transportation routes.
We do love pets here, and I think they love it too. With our ample grounds to run around on, and the easy access from the rooms, especially on the ground floor, it is the perfect pet getaway.
We are always working to make our Continental breakfast better. Our "Make Your Own" waffles are very popular, and we have switched our juice dispenser so we now carry 3 different juices. I believe most people find our selection of fresh fruit, yogurt, and, of course, bagels and whole grain bread, baked goods, and cereals, to be a great way to start the day.
Thank you for taking the time to review our property.

Reviewed 4 April 2013

This is just a great independently run hotel. The front desk staff is very nice and for this price who expects to see a sight as beautiful as Long Lake. The rooms are clean and modern and I have had a pleasant stay every time I have come here. We also use the conference rooms here for business and they do a really nice job. Most meeting rooms also have a picturesque lake view. Due to Nanaimo city planning it is a tad tricky to get to the first time, but persistence will be rewarded with a great stay!

Room Tip: I think they are all look at the lake.
  • Stayed: April 2013, travelled on business
NanaimoManager, General Manager at The Inn on Long Lake, responded to this reviewResponded 5 April 2013

Thanks for taking the time to write this great review!
I am glad you enjoyed your stay with us.
Our meeting rooms stay quite busy throughout the year, as many businesses find that are perfect for groups of up to 45 people. We certainly try hard to ensure that meetings run smoothly, and are as hassle free as possible. We really value our business and corporate travellers.
And yes, all the meeting rooms, and all the guest rooms have a view of the lake.

Reviewed 29 March 2013

This is a good clean hotel, with good customer service. It is located a little north of the city centre but it is not too far away from anything. Shopping and restaurants are all nearby. The hotel is situated on a lake and the views, especially in the morning, are quite nice. All rooms face the lake. Not a place to spend a long holiday but for short stays and or business trips it is perfect. It is my choice for business trips to Nanaimo.
No restaurant on site but a self serve minimal breakfast is included in the room price.
It is clean and comfortable.

• Stayed: February 2013, travelled on business
NanaimoManager, General Manager at The Inn on Long Lake, responded to this reviewResponded 1 April 2013

Thank you for taking the time to review us on Tripadvisor. I am glad you like our property, and we look forward to seeing you on your next trip to Nanaimo. We certainly do work hard to make it comfortable for our business travellers, and place a lot of value on those guests, like yourself, who have made us a regular part of their travel plans. I know that items like the free Wi-Fi, and parking are important to business travellers everywhere.
Our Continental breakfast is a hit with all travellers,as we maintain a wide variety of items to start your day off right.
We certainly do enjoy a strong tourist market as well, whether for short one or two night stays, or for much longer stays. The one bedroom "family suites" are very popular for longer stays as well. Of course, during the summer season we have our pedal boats, and kayaks available to rent right off our dock.

Reviewed 12 March 2013 via mobile

This place is old but they have updated things like the beds and bedding , but the furniture and bathrooms are old - my sink was chipped.

They include a breakfast in the breakfast room , mostly cheap white carbs but some fruit, yogurt and good coffee. They also have those cold hard boiled eggs from a bucket- who eats those? Also a hot waffle station, so not too shabby. Coffee was very good. The front desk also has fresh apples and sometimes hot cookies.

Most of the staff except the young girl were we're not too bright and were slow. Took forever to get a repair for my room.

There is no pool but a hot tub which is in the same room as the gym which makes it too hot to exercise. It's basically a fancy motel - but the view of long lake is nice and the balconies were fairly clean for the winter.

The only problems was the smell and that's the worst for me - the rooms smell and the lobby reeks of smoke at night tas the night clerk sucks on butts outside with the door open and then comes back in stinking. The other really bad thing was the alarm clock. My husbands an engineer and neither one of us could figure out how to set the alarm or turn the radio on.

• Stayed: March 2013
NanaimoManager, General Manager at The Inn on Long Lake, responded to this reviewResponded 14 March 2013

Thank you for taking some time out of your day to write this review of our Inn. I take your comments very seriously.
I am sorry that we did not seem to live up to your expectations. I think we do an excellent job of cleaning and maintaining our property. However, I won't deny that we do have some bathrooms that are due for updating, and they will be in the future.
We are always looking for ideas and new items for our Continental Breakfast. Please email us with any ideas you may have to improve it. We keep a selection of whole grain bread and bagels, to go with the usual muffins and pastries. I think the fresh fruit and yogurt are great options for anyone trying to avoid the baked goods. Hard boiled eggs? We brought them in as a trial item, and they are so popular we would be scared to stop providing them! And, everyone loves waffles.
I am glad you like the coffee-I do too. Its not only a very tasty dark roast, its Rainforest friendly too!
Yes, the fitness centre and hot tub are located in the same building. Generally, anyone using the treadmill, exercise bike or universal can open the sliding windows for a nice cross breeze if they find it too warm. I think many people appreciate being able to run on the treadmill while enjoying the view of our lake.
I am sorry that you found the staff to be lacking. While none of us are perfect, I think we have a great crew here, and they work hard to keep our guests happy. Yes, we do have some smokers on staff, and that smoke smell can follow them around. I do apologize for that, and will look for ways to mitigate that problem. As a non-smoker myself, I know how the smell of smokers can be annoying, whether it is on our staff, guests, or others we deal with.
Again, thank you for your time.

Reviewed 10 March 2013

Stayed here for 2 nights without a reservation (drop in). A really comfortable room and a nice hotel. Staff were exceptionally helpful. The continental breakfast (included in the room) was great. there were 3 of us in the room and with the two Queen beds, no problem. No Bar facilities though and no restaurant although there are plenty of places to eat nearby. They have a hot tub and gym equipment in the cabana.

Still, I'd recommend the Inn on Long Lake because it was excellent.

• Stayed: March 2013, travelled with family

Thank you for taking a few minutes to write this review. We definitely try to make our guests all feel comfortable and welcome.
I am happy to see that you consider us to be excellent. The experience is even better in the summer when we can enjoy the lake, and get on the water in a kayak or pedal boat!

Thanks