“Good bargain in Nanaimo, BC”

The Inn on Long Lake
Ranked #3 of 18 Hotels in Nanaimo
GreenLeadersBronze level
Victoria BC Canada
“Good bargain in Nanaimo, BC”
Reviewed 19 July 2013

Nice and quiet location near the centre of Nanaimo. I would stay there again when in Nanaimo. Room clean and staff very helpful. Right on the lake, nice views. Close to many shopping malls but you don't hear the noise from the highway at the hotel.

• Stayed June 2013, travelled as a couple
Review collected in partnership with this hotel

NanaimoManager, General Manager at The Inn on Long Lake, responded to this review, 19 July 2013
Thank you for the great review. Its not often you can combine having great views over the lake as all our rooms do, with being so close to the City amenities.
We look forward to seeing you on your next visit to Nanaimo.

James Young

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (113)
Melbourne, Australia
Reviewed 19 July 2013

This was a pleasant travellers overnight stay with clean and comfortable rooms and an attractive view onto the lake. Even though the hotel backs onto the highway it is very quiet.

Breakfast was a bit ordinary and perfunctory though some could argue that it fitted with the price range of the rooms. Staff were not highly visible and no real effort to make you feel welcome.

We would stay there as an overnighter again but not for more than a one night stay

• Stayed July 2013, travelled on business
Review collected in partnership with this hotel

Thank you for taking the time to review our little hotel. I do apologize that we didn't do more to enhance your stay. I believe we have a great crew working here, and I think they do a stellar job, but obviously we can improve.
I do think we are a great option to settle in for longer stays, with large rooms,and, as you mention, relaxing views. We are constantly working to improve our breakfast, and have recently added Gluten free bread and soy milk to our breakfast options. We are always open to new ideas on how to improve your experience.
Thank you again for the review.
Picton, Canada
Reviewed 18 July 2013

This was a lovely hotel. The view from the balcony down the lake with the racing skiffs rowing and the water birds was relaxing. You did not feel you were in the middle of a city. I would stay there again and have told friends that use the Horseshoe Bay ferry that it is the perfect spot to stay. I enjoyed seeing the dog owners on the ground floor being able to exercise their pets. The hotel even provided dog towels! Everyone was friendly, the rooms were attractive and spotless. The Hot Tub pavilion was spectacular and the breakfast good.
Enjoy!

Room Tip: ask for Water view. ask when their boats are available. ask for Main Floor with a Pet
  • Stayed May 2013, travelled with family
Review collected in partnership with this hotel

Thank you for taking the time to write such a great review. I agree 100%-it is very easy to forget that you are still within the City, and close to all that Nanaimo has to offer. All the rooms face over the lake-no one is looking over a parking lot or the highway!
We really enjoy our four legged visitors too. I think many of them know that we also keep a few doggie treats hidden behind the front desk. The ground floor rooms, with patio doors leading right out to the lawn, are very handy for pet owners.
We look forward to seeing you the next time you come to visit Nanaimo.
San Luis Obispo, California
Reviewed 15 July 2013

We stumbled upon this hotel in desperation. Arriving in Nanaimo without a room, we reluctantly checked this inn out. We were so pleasantly surprised. The room was fabulous with incredible views of the lake. I woke up to sunrise without even getting out of my bed. The beds were very comfy. The staff was amazingly helpful and very friendly, in particular, Elaine! She had the greatest attitude, especially putting up with my european friend who speaks little english and doesn't get some of the customs. I could have stayed much longer here with their wonderful jacuzzi, kayaks, warm water, and the best views.

• Stayed July 2013, travelled with friends
NanaimoManager, General Manager at The Inn on Long Lake, responded to this review, 16 July 2013
Thank you for taking time to write such a wonderful review! I am glad that you found us, and that you enjoyed your stay so much. Elayne will be thrilled that you mentioned her by name. She is a great member of our team, and is truly amazing with guests.
I hope the rest of your visit to Canada was as wonderful, and I hope to see you again if you ever make it back to Nanaimo.
Thank you.
calgary
Reviewed 11 July 2013

I'll start by saying that I gave this place 5 stars because we were traveling with a dog and have never stayed a place that was so accommodating to pets.

If you aren't traveling with a pet I would give it a 3-4 star. The room is pretty basic. The breakfast is not bad, waffle maker, hard-boiled eggs, toast, bagels, danishes, cereal, juices, coffee, tea, fruit, etc. (I have to say the coffee was not good!) but everything else was nice to wake up to. There is a nice variety and something for everyone.

the lake is nice and but unfortunately has a highway on one side that ruins the serenity of it, but it wasn't too noisy.

the staff was helpful and efficient. when we were checking out we didn't really get a lot of warmth from the front desk, (I guess a smile and a how was your stay would have been nice).

regardless, if we are ever in nanaimo and we are with our dog, the inn on long lake is where we will be!

• Stayed July 2013, travelled as a couple
NanaimoManager, General Manager at The Inn on Long Lake, responded to this review, 15 July 2013
I am glad to hear that you, and your pet, enjoyed your stay with us. We are not just pet friendly, we are pet exuberant! We always enjoy seeing our four legged visitors.
We always try to maintain a good selection for breakfast. We are always open to ideas for new products for our breakfast spread. I am surprised to hear that you didn't like the coffee. It is a dark roast, organic, rainforest friendly blend. It was my personal pick of many options I tasted. I do understand that one coffee is not ideal for everyone though.
We are truly lucky in the way the hotel was designed. Although close to the highway, as is nearly every hotel in Nanaimo, the noise is minimal once you are in your room, or on your balcony or the extensive lakeside grounds.
We look forward to seeing you on your next visit, and will do our best to make it a 5 star visit for you, as well as for your pet!
Sooke, British Columbia, Canada
Reviewed 10 June 2013

We stayed here recently with our daughter's ball team for a tournament. Front desk staff are fabulous and very accommodating. Rooms are clean and although it is an older hotel, it has been well maintained and renovated, although there are some areas that do show their age (noisy bathroom fan, sticky sliding door). One of our group mentioned that despite their room being indicated as smoke free it had a strong odor of cigarette smoke. The grounds are lovely and, despite being right on the highway, the rooms are very quiet. All rooms having a lake-view is a very nice touch. The breakfast area is nice and having the ability to sit outside overlooking the lake is a great start to a beautiful morning. The hot tub is decent, although small and I would hesitate to spend much time on the little sand beach given the amount of goose droppings in the area. There is no restaurant as part of the hotel or immediately adjacent but there is a Montana's a short way down the road as well as many other restaurants within a 10-15 minute drive. The large, safe, free parking lot is great.

My main disappointment isn't necessarily with the hotel but with the cost of hotels in Nanaimo in general. The Inn is certainly priced comparably with the other hotels in Nanaimo but when I can get a similar room at a brand new hotel in Vancouver with all the same amenities, onsite restaurant & pub plus free access to a huge rec centre in for $30/night less than here, it is clearly time for some competition in Nanaimo.

All things considered - a decent option when staying in Nanaimo and we will likely be back.

Room Tip: Ground floor rooms have small patios with direct walk out access to the lawn area between the hotel...
  • Stayed June 2013, travelled with family
NanaimoManager, General Manager at The Inn on Long Lake, responded to this review, 11 June 2013
Thank you for taking the time to review our property. I am always glad to get feedback about our property.
We do indeed work hard at maintaing our property, and I think our locale, right on the lakeshore, and our landscaping are great. Every room having its own patio or balcony to enjoy the view is a definite bonus.
i do apologize for the smoke smell in your associates room. On occasion, we do have guests who may smoke outside, but do not take the necessary steps to keep the smoke out of their room. As a non smoker myself (and being married to a militant non smoker) I know how annoying smoke can be.
I certainly do hope to see you back on your next stopover in Nanaimo.
British Columbia
Reviewed 8 June 2013

This hotel is dog friendly and the main floor rooms have sliding back doors that open onto a lush green lawn and lakefront pathway. You have a little patio for sitting (and an ashtray for those that need it). Comfortable beds, great linens, and a nice safe parking lot. I find this hotel to be the quietest most comfortable place to stay in Nanaimo and it is certainly the least stressful place to stay with the dogs. Do remember to tip the chambermaids - they deserve it. Your pet fee probably doesn't go to them.

Room Tip: I always stay on the ground floor and love the walk out patio. But the upper rooms may have nice vie...
  • Stayed June 2013, travelled on business
1 Thank DivaDuck
NanaimoManager, General Manager at The Inn on Long Lake, responded to this review, 10 June 2013
Thank you for taking the time to review our hotel.
We not only accept pets, we love to see them! The ground floor rooms are very convenient when you bring your four-legged family members, and the view even from the ground level patios isn't too bad! We do allow pets upstairs, if you want to have an even more spectacular view though-its just not quite as convenient for Rover.
We look forward to welcoming you, and your dog, back the next time you are in Nanaimo. We will be sure to keep some Milkbones handy!
Thanks.