“A peaceful setting for a 2 day getaway”

The Inn on Long Lake
Ranked #3 of 18 Hotels in Nanaimo
GreenLeadersBronze level
Vancouver, BC
“A peaceful setting for a 2 day getaway”
Reviewed 4 March 2014

We chose this hotel because of its dog friendly policy and the location was good for what we wanted to see and do in Nanaimo. The room on the ground floor had easy access to the lake and the gym and hot tub. It was well equipped with a fridge and microwave as well as the usual coffee maker. A pleasant surprise was the breakfast which was included - not just the usual "continental" coffee and toast. It included hard boiled eggs, make your own waffles, juice, coffee, tea and hot chocolate, fresh fruit, bread for toasting, bagels, muffins, apple turnovers and cinnamon rolls and probably more. The staff were all very friendly and helpful.

Room Tip: Rooms on the ground floor have easy access to your car at the back of the hotel and to the lake at t...
  • Stayed February 2014, travelled as a couple
2 Thank Xochitlbc
NanaimoManager, General Manager at The Inn on Long Lake, responded to this review, 25 March 2014
Thank you for the wonderful review. I am so pleased to hear that you enjoyed your stay, and I hope your dog did as well. We are very pet friendly, and get a lot of enjoyment out of welcoming our four legged guests to our Inn. The ground floor rooms are perfect for dogs, with a patio door leading right out to the lakeside lawn area. We keep a supply of "doggie towels" at the Front Desk, so any dogs lucky enough to swim in the lake right outside can dry off afterwards.

We work hard to put out a quality breakfast for our guests, with a variety of items, and quality products. The "make your own" waffles are a huge hit with our guests, as are the fresh fruit, and the yogurt.

Thank you for posting this review.

James Young

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (114)
Canada
Reviewed 22 February 2014

We booked a room at the Inn based on its location on Long Lake. It was a good decision. The view overlooking the lake is tranquil and inviting, creating a memorable experience. I expect families with children will appreciate the setting even more because there are places to explore and things to do on the lake. The room was spacious, and the bed, although a bit soft for my liking, was comfortable. Staff were friendly and attentive. You can enjoy a continental breakfast indoors or on the adjoining patio overlooking the lake. We lingered longer than usual that morning because it was so beautiful.

• Stayed March 2013, travelled on business
1 Thank MungoCanada
NanaimoManager, General Manager at The Inn on Long Lake, responded to this review, 25 February 2014
Thank you for taking the time to write this wonderful review.
It is indeed a tranquil setting by the lake side, whether you enjoy the view from your room or while having breakfast. It has its own beauty at any time of year Right now the lake looks wonderful with our recent snowfall-but its at its best in the summer when you can enjoy the lakeshore more, and get on the water in a kayak or pedalboat, or even just go for a swim off our dock.

vancouver island
Reviewed 25 January 2014

We chose the Long Lake Inn in Nanaimo while we were on a house hunting trip and were there for 5 nights. The rooms are fine, were clean and had a pretty view of the lake. We would have preferred a bigger room being it was 4 of us, 2 adults and 2 kids but they had a hockey team staying there at the time so it was unavailable. The rooms were very quiet, we didn't hear very much at all. The hot tub is lovely, really enjoyed that in the evenings. The breakfast room in the morning was busy when we were there, in fact, so busy that one morning there was no seats and people actually had to leave and go either wait or buy breakfast elsewhere. It was your average continental breakfast, you could make a waffle which was nice to have a hot meal choice. Lots of juice and tea and coffee to choose from and some fruit, eggs, cereal, breads. Front desk staff was good. It would be a very pretty place to stay in the summer months as the lake side of the inn is very pretty. All in all a good stay, just cramped for the 4 of us for 5 nights.

• Stayed January 2014, travelled on business
1 Thank leahb
NanaimoManager, General Manager at The Inn on Long Lake, responded to this review, 27 January 2014
Thank you for taking a few moments to share your experiences. I am so glad to hear that you enjoyed your stay at our lakeside Inn. It is a handy location, and the rooms are quiet and comfy. I'm glad you were able to make use of the hot tub while you were here. It’s so nice being able to relax in the bubbles while looking out over our gorgeous lake!
I do understand that any hotel room can feel cramped with a family of 4 in it for 5 days. We do have one bedroom suites available - with either one King size bed in the bedroom, and a sofabed in the living room, or two double beds in the bedroom, and a sofabed - that offer a lot more space and privacy. However, they are often in high demand, and should be reserved well ahead of time or they may not be available, as unfortunately happened in your case.
I am sorry that you were delayed at the breakfast room. While we have our breakfast available from 630am to 10am daily, there are times, as at most busy hotels, that it may be full. Generally this is quickly alleviated. During the warmer months we also have a wonderful patio area to enjoy breakfast al fresco while enjoying the lakefront setting.
Thank you again for taking the time to post this review.
Canada
Reviewed 22 January 2014

I stayed here once and tried to book a second time: the room is definitely very dated, but large and actually despite being by a very busy highway is a peaceful outlook onto the lake. Kids loved the ducks The free breakfast was plentiful and nice.

I called and asked to book a king suite, my kids were in the background, all that I managed to get out was "do you have king suites…" and the person who answered immediately said "are you going to try to be putting children in that room??! Because WE DO NOT DO THAT!" I said thank you and hung up…the tone, the message made me feel that we would not be welcome here *at least according to the person who answered*

• Stayed January 2014, travelled with family
NanaimoManager, Manager at The Inn on Long Lake, responded to this review, 24 January 2014
Thank you for taking the time to review our property. I am glad that you found your stay to be relaxing and pleasant when you stayed with us. We love seeing the ducks, hummingbirds, and yesterday a beautiful hawk at our property. In the summertime we often have children "help" us feed the ducks and geese at the lakeshore.
I am a little confused, to say the least, about your second experience you had. We do indeed have some spacious one bedroom King Suites. The confusing factor is the claim that we said you would not be allowed to bring children into the room. We OFTEN have those suites rented to families with children. We would never refuse someone on the basis that they were bringing children. We do have a few Business Class King Rooms, and our Jacuzzi Suite where we do not, and never have, placed cots or rollaway beds in the rooms, and which are also off limits to pets. The lack of secondary bedding limits their usefulness to families, but even so we have definitely rented those to small families that are able to get by with the one large bed.
I would love it if you could email or call me with more information about your recent interactions, so I may try to track down whether it was my staff, or perhaps one of the many travel agencies that we work with that left you feeling so unwelcome. As I say, I am a little confused as my main front desk people include a volunteer Sparks (Girl Guides) leader, as well as a woman who works with autistic teens in her spare time, and a retired school teacher.
Thank you again for your time.
BC
Reviewed 27 October 2013

My choice because it was close to my meetings. Not a horrible experience but I found the room drafty and the highway noise was very loud. The location on the lake is actually very pretty but overall I thought this hotel felt like a motel. Check in staff was helpful and professional, breakfast room staff less than friendly and didnt seem to pay attention to the guests too much.

Room Tip: Ask for a quiet room far away from the highway - I will next time :)
  • Stayed October 2013, travelled on business
2 Thank VictoriaRobyn
NanaimoManager, General Manager at The Inn on Long Lake, responded to this review, 31 October 2013
Thank you for taking the time to review our property. I am sorry that you were disappointed in your recent stay. I agree, we have a great location, with every room having a balcony or patio overlooking Long Lake, and the view is great, being so close to the water. The sunrises lately have been spectacular. I hope you were able to enjoy our wonderful Continental breakfast, and have a soak in the hot tub while you were with us. It's a great way to end the day if you've had a hectic day, whether at work or play.
You are right, there can be slightly more road noise if you are closer to the highway. Please let us know when you reserve your next stay, and we will do everything we can to honour your request to be as far from the road as possible.
We look forward to seeing you back at our Inn.
Squamish, Canada
Reviewed 16 October 2013

I can't say enough about this wonderful gem. It is great to know that when you've been traveling and had ferry issues, there is a great place to stay that is close, clean and affordable. The service was amazing (million thanks Elaine!) and the complimentary cookies and coffee/tea in the lobby was a very welcomed sight. And breakfast is included (got to make some waffles). There is a jacuzzi and sauna and they accept pets! You couldn't ask for more. I would hands down recommend this hotel. Enjoy!

• Stayed October 2013, travelled as a couple
NanaimoManager, General Manager at The Inn on Long Lake, responded to this review, 18 October 2013
Wow! I don't know what else to say to your very enthusiastic review, except: Thank you very much! Elayne is indeed a star at customer service, and a key part of our team. She will be thrilled that you took the time to mention her by name.
We are always happy to have four legged friends come and bring their owners to our Inn. I think all of our staff truly love animals, and it really shows. We normally keep a few dog treats behind the desk too.
I should perhaps warn you that the cookies are wonderful, but can be a little addictive, though.

Edmonton
Reviewed 15 October 2013

This was our second time in Nanaimo and first time staying at the Inn on Long Lake. The Inn was recommended to me by a coworker and I'm glad I took the recommendation. Our room was on the third floor, which gave us a beautiful view of the lake. The Inn, although a bit dated in decor, is very clean and probably one of most comfort-for-value hotels in Nanaimo. In addition to a lower rate for CAA members, your stay includes a continental breakfast (and will accommodate gluten-free diets). We were visiting with family so we didn't have anytime to use the hotel facilities but we will check out the hot tub and sauna the next time for sure.

While in Nanaimo we recommend Longwood Pub, the Nest Bistro, Asteras, and Real Food to dine.

• Stayed October 2013, travelled as a couple
1 Thank juliabee222
Thank you for the wonderful review. And please, pass my thanks on to your co-worker who recommended us. We all love the view, and the staff here work hard to make it as comfortable as possible for our guests.
We do try to keep items available for those with Gluten sensitivities, as I know that the average Continental breakfast can be difficult for those affected. Thank you for mentioning this.
I am sorry that you did not have time to try out our hot tub-it is very popular, and is a great way to unwind after a day of exploring. Next time!
You also attended some of my favourite restaurants! Longwood Brew pub is our top referral, due to its quality, service, and proximity, and Asteras is perhaps my personal favourite restaurant in Nanaimo. The owner is incredible, and clearly loves what he does!