“Great place to stay”

GreenLeadersBronze level
Victoria, Canada
“Great place to stay”
Reviewed 30 August 2014 via mobile

We stayed in Nanaimo for an event and chose this hotel because of how central it was to everything. It's very clean and comfortable, and has a great view. The hot tub is large enough for you and your friends and is far enough from the rooms so you don't hear much, but it would be nice if it was open later. The breakfast offers a good variety. We will definitely be staying here again when visiting Nanaimo.

Stayed May 2014, travelled as a couple
1 Thank WeekendReviewers
NanaimoManager, General Manager at The Inn on Long Lake, responded to this review, 3 September 2014
Thank you for taking a few moments to review our hotel. I am so glad that you enjoyed your stay, and took time to enjoy the hot tub. It is awesome being able to relax in the hot tub, with a great view over Long Lake-such a great way to end the day! We do keep it open to 10:30 pm daily, which is a time our insurance company is comfortable with, and is late enough to meet the requirements of most of our guests.
We look forward to seeing you in the future.

James Young

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (107)
Victoria, British Columbia, Canada
Reviewed 29 August 2014

I stayed there with my kids and while the room was being cleaned my ipad
air went missing. We actually came to the room while it was being cleaned
and told the girl (one of 3) not to worry about doing the pillows since we
brought our own. She was standing next to my ipad on the night stand
because I remember looking at it thinking why did I leave my electronics
out along with my kids ones, 1500 dollars worth? but thought it all should
be safe. I also thought that the cleaners won't be able to clean the table
because the ipad is laying there but thought it's not dirty anyway so it
won't matter. We left the room to go outside and eat lunch at their picnic
table while they clean. We came back 15 minutes later and I noticed right
away it was missing. I tossed the whole room, checked the luggage. I
notified staff and used their computer to log on to icloud and locate the
ipad with GPS, it showed that it's in the hotel. All cleaning staff was
made aware that I am locating it with GPS. Front end staff went upstairs
to listen for the IPAD to beep which I did front the lobby on the icloud
application find my ipad, she never heard anything in the room. For 25
minutes my self and staff including the manager tossed my room in order to
find it we beeped the ipad too but never heard it. THe GPS showed that it
was further down the hotel wing where my room was. 30 minutes later my
ipad magically appeared in my luggage and was beeping. THe door to the
room was left wide open for that entire time while everyone tossed the
common area and went downstairs. THe manger didn't say a word when i found
it in front of him. I got the feeling that he thought I was crazy and looked bad. I asked my kids if they put it there and they said no (that was my first reaction,I was shocked and doubted everything I saw) then few seconds later once it all clicked in I realized what had just happened, it was simply returned, one of the cleaners stole it the returned it. I know I saw my ipad sitting on the table, that's where I left it. I tossed my luggage 3 times including all compartments and it wasn't there (my I pad is the big one with a heavy cover on it). Who ever
stole it returned it knowing I have the locate app on it and the gps would
show where it is and notify me. Unfortunately all the staff thinks I
didn't look for it carefully and not that it was stolen and returned when
door was open. I know it was there in the room, I have different bag for the ipad and never use my luggage to store it. Minutes before it was found, I passed the same
cleaning girl while walking to my room just 5 doors down. One that stood
in front of my ipad and then denied that she ever saw one in the room. The
supervisor of the cleaning crew was advised and she said that's not
possible becasue all the cleanig staff was downstairs and I said to her I
passed that cleaning girl on the 3 floor minutes before locating the ipad,
her mought dropped.
Rooms are old, dirty and smelly, people can smoke on the balcony so gets stinky if your door is open to the nice view. will never,ever go back.

Room Tip: if you will stay there anyway, face the water.
  • Stayed August 2014, travelled with family
5 Thank RAGDJR
Where do I start is right. I am sorry that you misplaced your Ipad, and that your children were afraid to admit that they had placed it in your suitcase. I was present when it was located in your suitcase. In spite of your comments, the staff had left the floor, and your room door was closed until you opened it with me personally standing beside you. Your jump to grandiose stories about theft and then "sneaking back" are very creative, but have little to do with the facts of the situation. Quite simply, you were packing your belongings, the children were helping you pack up, and the cleaning staff knew you were essentially right outside the door when they were cleaning. The Ipad was found in your luggage, with yourself, and myself present when my staff activated your app from our lobby computer to sound the locator buzzer. I am sorry that you had such a traumatic experience, but it was not the fault of the hotel and our staff. We have an incredible front desk and cleaning crew, that I am extremely proud of, and that have cleaned tens of thousands of rooms with never a single item going "missing``. I have complete trust in them, and your comments and actions merely reinforce how much they care about our guests, as they went well beyond their duties, in assisting you in looking through your room, to searching garbage cans and laundry carts.

Melbourne, Australia
Reviewed 23 August 2014 via mobile

A very pleasant stay for two nights at the Inn on Long Lake. Staff were very friendly and accommodating. We asked for a later check out due to a ferry delay and were extended to 1pm at no cost.

Pros
Clean and comfortable
Very large rooms provide plenty of room to access suitcases etc
Separate tea and coffee area including microwave
Good sized, quiet fridge
Large bathroom vanity top to accommodate toiletries
Good shower
Patio door access to lake area from room
Patio furniture to enjoy views of the lake
Gym, spa and sauna (separate building with lake views)
Good speed Wifi (5M/s download speed)
Very comprehensive continental breakfast
Water activities available, paddle boats etc

Cons
Plumbing can be a little noisy

Price for peak time was reasonable when you consider breakfast and Wifi was included. Overall a very enjoyable stay. Recommended.

Stayed August 2014, travelled as a couple
1 Thank RobS885
NanaimoManager, General Manager at The Inn on Long Lake, responded to this review, 26 August 2014
Thank you Rob S for this wonderful review! I am so glad that you enjoyed your stay with us. I think you have covered most of our amenities-from free (and fast!) Wi-Fi to kayak and pedal boat rentals.
I do apologize about the plumbing. Nobody wants to hear the pipes in the building. The plumbing is aging, and we are dealing with it. The pipes will be replaced this winter in what will be a very large undertaking. We are excited about getting this project done in order to improve our guests' experience at our Inn.

Reno, Nevada
Reviewed 9 August 2014

We were delayed a few hours after our arrival picking up our rental car. To late for a long drive to tofino. Lucky to find this gem of a hotel which helped us out and with a good price. Right across from Mcdonalds which was a life saver after traveling 10hrs with 3 little ones.

• Stayed August 2014, travelled with family
2 Thank jorge s
Thank you Jorge S for your wonderful review. I know all too well how stressful travelling can be, and I am so glad that we were able to provide a comfortable place for you and your family to relax after a long day. I personally find it very calming being right beside our beautiful little lake. Did the little ones get in a pedal boat ride, or at least a romp around the grounds to burn off that extra energy they always seem to have?
I hope the rest of your trip to Vancouver Island went well.

BC
Reviewed 8 August 2014 via mobile

With easy room access, every room with a lake view and the included continental breakfast, this location was a steal for the peak-season cost with free parking.

Centrally located for our travel purposes. Minutes from anything and everything.

Our room had two very comfortable queen beds with side bedding and amazing pillows.

There was plenty of room for the playpen, an infant and two adults.

Very easy to relax at the end of the day with a private patio (ground floor suite) and lake view.

The air conditioner was a saviour during the prolonged heat wave.

The room amenities are average with a microwave, mini-fridge and coffee maker. No in-room safe.

Nothing special with the bathroom with the exception of the loud pipes when the neighbours are showering.

I'd go back for the hot waffle breakfasts.

Stayed August 2014, travelled on business
1 Thank Mountieman47
Thank you for the wonderful review. I am glad that you enjoyed your stay with us.
I agree, we have a great location-both the beauty and peace of being right on the lake shore, and being handy to transportation and amenities of the City.
I do apologize about the plumbing. It is aging, but we are replacing it all later this year. This is a major project, and one we are very excited about. We should definitely not have any noisy pipes then!
Thank you. We look forward to seeing you back on your next visit to Nanaimo.

Reviewed 28 July 2014

After staying at a very nice Harbor hotel in Victoria where we were awakened each morning at 5:30 by docking boats, it was nice to be overlooking a quiet lake instead. The double queen bed room was very spacious and the balcony overlooking the lake was a treat. We arrived in the late afternoon and rented a paddle boat which was fun. Other pluses included free wifi, easy parking and accessibility to 19 and 19A, and pleasant check in staff. Yes, it is close to a highway and the distant rumble was audible and the continental breakfast was unremarkable, but this was overall a very good value.

Room Tip: First floor leads you straight to the lawn and lake, third floor gives you the best view.
  • Stayed July 2014, travelled with family
2 Thank Jcatharine
NanaimoManager, General Manager at The Inn on Long Lake, responded to this review, 29 July 2014
Thank you, jcatharine, for the wonderful review.
I am glad that you found it so relaxing and comfortable. We feel very lucky to have such a beautiful setting we can share with our guests. The fact that every room has a private lakeside balcony or patio (with no noisy seaplane terminals or ferry docks!) is a very unusual bonus, as is the ability to take a pedal boat, kayak, or standup paddleboard out right from our dock.
I am sorry that you found the breakfast "unremarkable"-we do try to keep a varied selection-from the traditional muffins and toast, to fresh fruit, yogurt, and hardboiled eggs. We even carry gluten free bread, and soy milk for those with special dietary needs.

Tofino, Canada
Reviewed 26 July 2014

We won this stay for one night, and used the gift certificate last week. had a wonderful stay. happy to learn about the very varied continental breakfast in the morning. make sure you read the fine print of what you are signed when you check in, to see if you do or do not want the morning paper. there is a charge if you want it. do not feed the geese on the lawn - they are trying to keep them behind the fenced area! a great stay in our local city - thanks for having us!

Room Tip: Ground floor, patio extends out onto the lake. no elevators - so if you want higher - carry your bag...
  • Stayed July 2014, travelled as a couple
NanaimoManager, General Manager at The Inn on Long Lake, responded to this review, 27 July 2014
Thank you for the wonderful review. I am glad that you enjoyed your stay.
I do have to correct two points though. While we encourage everyone to "read the fine print", there is NO CHARGE for the newspaper delivered to your room daily-never has been, and never will be. And, we have not one, but two elevators serving the upper floors. They aren't hidden, just tucked discretely away, but we make sure everyone who needs them knows where they are. Many people do like the fact that the ground floor rooms allow easy access to the lawn and lakeshore, especially any travelling with pets.

We do try to maintain a friendly relationship with the local geese-they stay on their side of the fence, and keep the mess they can make off the lawn and walkway, and we give them a little food in exchange.

I am glad you enjoyed the breakfast. I hope you also had a chance to soak in our hot tub, or rent a kayak or paddleboard to get out on the water while you were here.