“Too pricey”

Price range: US$8 - US$11
Nanaimo, Canada
“Too pricey”
Reviewed 20 October 2012

Had a smoothie, it was good but small and expensive. It has fresh ingredients but $7.00 is too much.

Visited April 2012
NanNana_1, Owner at Rawmbas, responded to this review, 23 October 2012
Thank you for your comment. In response, Rawmbas smoothies are 20 oz and for most of our customers considered more than large enough. We are conscious of our pricing and make our smoothies without fillers or additives. When compared to our competitors Rawmbas smoothies are top quality and excellent value. We hope you will return to Rawmbas to experience more of our multiple award winning menu!

Nanaimo, Canada
“I am a meatatarian, but this place still can hit the spot”
Reviewed 15 September 2012

Normally my meal centers around some kind of meat, it was hard to break that habit to try this place. Raw, vegan food can be amazing when prepared like these guys do it. I've tried to falafal, and the veggie pizza, both which are amazingly delicious and fill you right up. I made the mistake of ordering soup while waiting for my falafal thinking that the falafal would not fill me up-wrong! Something about eating all these veggies and fiber fills you up pleasantly for the day, nice to see we can visit the north end location as well. Keep up the good work guys!

Visited September 2012
N/A
common_n_restaurant_reviews_1bd8 1 helpful vote
“Delicious and convenient”
Reviewed 28 August 2012

We have been in town visiting family this month and due to my son's allergies regarding gluten, Rawmbas was recommended to me. I could not have been more satisfied with the experience. It is usually a pain trying to find anywhere to take my son to eat and I am forever preparing food prior to outings. I wish there were more places like this around the US because despite normally being a fully fledged carnivore, I found myself more than happy with the variety of the menu.
The service also far surpassed the standard I am used to. All in all it was a fantastic experience.

• Visited August 2012
1 Thank tadlton
Victoria, Canada
common_n_restaurant_reviews_1bd8 1 helpful vote
“Top quality gluten free healthy fast food - new Aulds Rd Nanaimo location”
Reviewed 28 August 2012

Our friends couldn't stop talking about how great the food was at Rawmbas every time they have taken business clients to the Stewart Ave location. Based on their 1st hand experience, we couldn't wait to try it ourselves and I have to say we WERE NOT DISAPPOINTED either.

And now there is a second location with Rawmbas opening up at 508-6581 Aulds Road in Nanaimo just a couple of weeks ago which is great.

The food has been AMAZING every single time. We've been to Stewart Ave four times and now to Aulds Rd twice. We don't write reviews about places, but having been to both locations and trying a wide variety of menu items, having such a place on Vancouver Island is quite remarkable.

Gluten free, tons of raw food choices (but not exclusively raw), completely vegetarian and dare I say:- WITHOUT the usual "militant, Birkenstocks only, hippie sheik vibe" that turns most people off going into meat free restaurants and trying such delicious fare.
Rawmbas is the type of place where you can comfortably take friends who have built up stereotypes and really surprise them with a healthy fast food alternative.

Overall, I have found the staff to be professional, knowledgeable, and enthusiastic about the healthy fast food they are serving. The food itself is always top notch and the value for money is exceptionally high.
No, they aren't as fast as McDonald's (yet) and no, they do not serve all the things you would expect from the stereotype vegetarian place which is frankly refreshing.

We have eaten the following:

MAINS
the falafel wrap - a massive and flavorful with the nut based falafel
the veggie wrap - just as massive and super fresh with the nut mayo
the pizza - has lots of raw and roasted vegetables, a crunchy crust and awesome faux cheese
the mushroom burger - a ground up mushroom-walnut patty with great BBQ sauce and vegetables
the sunburger - similar to the mushroom burger, but with seeds and vegetables as the base instead
DESSERTS
Hazelnut truffles and Nanaimo bars - chocolate, coconut heaven really don't need to say more

We will certainly continue to go again and again and look forward to all the new items they keep adding to the menu.

• Visited August 2012
1 Thank wrldtraveler99
Toronto, Canada
“Rude server, limited fare”
Reviewed 14 May 2012

We were excited to see a raw food place appear in the neighbourhood. A place that features raw, living, vegan foods suggests vegetables, fruits, and juices. Not here. I went a couple of times when they first opened, and tried a couple of smoothies. The young men who made them were pleasant but inexperienced. It took a very long time and they kept adding water to the very frozen lumps of fruit. I took my granddaughter and she was ready for a nap by the time her drink arrived. Another time, I went with a friend and had a perfectly awful coffee drink. What I really wanted was fresh juice. I couldn't find it on the menu, so the next time I stopped in, I asked the woman behind the counter when it would be available. They were new; it was not crowded; I was a paying customer. I expected a warm welcome. Instead, I got bawled out. "We don't make juice," she said, in an irritated tone. "If you want juice, you can go somewhere else." Every raw food and veggie-friendly place I've been to has juices - it's standard and expected. Luckily, Nanaimo now has the very wonderful Power House, with a full menu of fresh juices and countless other lovely things - and you can make up your own combination as well. There are also very nice juices at Bocca's. The sad thing is that Rawmbas is right next door, and I have to drive downtown.

• Visited March 2012
4 Thank visitingprof
NanNana_1, Owner at Rawmbas, responded to this review, 19 September 2012
We regret your experience at Rawmbas and assure you we take pride in the cleanliness of our properties as well as our friendly, helpful staff. We consider our menu to have excellent diversity as it covers all of the classics including burgers, pizza, wraps, smoothies & desserts. Our meals are 100% gluten free and vegan. We are a multiple award winning restaurant and invite you back to allow us another opportunity to provide you with excellent service and great value for a delicious, nutritious meal.