“Extremely Bad Service” 1 of 5 bubbles

Value Lodge Economy Motel
Vancouver, BC
“Extremely Bad Service”
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 19 October 2006

I am writing to give you some feedback on my experience at the Value Lodge Economy Motel.

I traveled to Vancouver Island on the September 1, 2006 with my significant other for holiday. As I had no reservation anywhere on a long weekend I stopped at the first hotel I saw off of the Duke Point ferry.

I did find the rooms a little rough; i.e. burn marks on the carpet and worn bedding but thought fair enough, the hotel is being renovated. The night clerk that checked us in was very friendly and helpful. Once settled in our room he recommended the best place to order food from and gave me directions to the gas station to get ice. He did apologize about the renovations and generally made us feel welcome as guests.

The next day at 11:04am a young woman appeared at the open door. She was dressed like she had been at a night club and had not changed. I was waiting for my significant other to finish in the bathroom as we were about to check out. She curtly asked “are you staying for two days”? I found it odd that she did not greet me or identify herself to be a hotel employee. I replied that we were not. Her response was again delivered in a very rude tone” Check out was ten minutes ago! You either have to come to the office and pay for another day or check out. I need this room ready for the cleaning lady!” I wasn’t aware that check out was 10:54 am and that our patronage was such a big problem as implied by her vehement rudeness. I told her we were about to leave.

Personally I would never treat my clients this way, and don’t appreciate such poor customer service. I know at this point I would not recommend the Value Lodge to my friends or colleagues.

I checked out at about 11:16 am with questions posed in my mind;

•Does the Value Lodge Economy Motel have competent management and minimum employee training?

•Is staff morale extremely low because the hotel is a centre for drugs, criminal activity and prostitution?

•Should guest safety be a concern?

• Liked — Location
  • Disliked — Service & Cleanliness
  • Tips/Secrets — Avoid This Place!
  • Stayed September 2006, travelled as a couple
      Location
      Check-in / front desk
    • 2 of 5 bubbles
10 Thank Dignity1

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (10)
vancouver
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 15 September 2006

I rented a room, thinking that all motels had at least a bare minimum standard. i turned the key and entered the worst motel room I have seen in my life there was a blood stain on the bed cover, the furniture and fittings were absolutely old and damaged and gross. it looked more like a cell than a room.

i was in there for 30 seconds and went to cancel. the desk guy wouldn't give me my money back. said he'd have to contact the head office to okay it. they would only offer me another room.

it was worth 55 bucks not to stay there.

• Liked — leaving it
  • Disliked — everything about it
  • Tips/Secrets — avoid it like the plague
  • Stayed September 2006, travelled solo
      Location
      Check-in / front desk
9 Thank omnitrav

Travellers are raving about these Nanaimo hotels

A TripAdvisor Member
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 4 November 2005

Ups: The staff where helpful and nice, the rooms where clean and cheap. Excellent Showers! Nice view of the harbour only about half an hours walk. Alices Resteraunt and Lounge was a nice Touch, the Lounge especially. Big parking lot front and back.

Downs: The street infront of it gets a little noisey in the day, its the same at every other motel I've stayed at on that street. They don't have bath-tubs (I think the shower made up for it!). Little worn, everythings not -brand- new but its not like its all broken and dirty.

Opinion: The staff where really friendly, and I liked the place better then most of the other Motels up that street. If I'm in Nanaimo I stay there.

• Stayed April 2005, travelled on business
    • 4 of 5 bubbles
    • 4 of 5 bubbles
Cedar City, Utah
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 16 October 2005

This is one of the worst places I have ever stayed. I was lured in by the sign outside - $50 per room. I guess I shouldn't expect much from a price so low, but I sure didn't expect this. My non-smoking room smelled like an ashtray and there were cigarette burns all over the carpet. The TV didn't work. There was no door on the bathroom. But, worst of all, there were lots of unsavorly looking people staying there.
On the positive side, the office person was nice, and there is a nice diner attached - "Alice's Restaurant." And, of course, it was cheap. But for a few more dollars I could have had something I felt safe in.

• Stayed October 2005