“Was Pleasantly Surprised......!”

Good for: Child-friendly
Parksville, Canada
“Was Pleasantly Surprised......!”
Reviewed 3 April 2014

First time here, was thinking Mexican and punched up reviews, Gina's or Baby Salsa, BS had an extra star so went there. Small cafe in a shopping centre with a nice Mexican theme. Service was good and the owner looked after us. Explained a few things and as we chose she brought us salsa and warmed, large, tasty chips....chips nice and crisp, salsa was fresh and EXCELLENT! Nice bite to it and I'll say it again....fresh and homemade!
Our orders were..2 of us had there chef special enchiladas and we had our choice of 3 sauces. The other was a burrito-type prep stuffed with pull-pork and the 'fix in's' in a 'taco' bowl, with salad. My wife enjoyed her 'bowl' and my son and I really enjoyed our meal. Must say that the rice was some of the best I've tasted, more subtle flavours in it probably due to a few more spices than the 'usual'. The sauce (we both chose the Red Sauce), was fresh and delicious, and there was lots of pork in the enchiladas. The biggest surprise for both of us were the fried beans....WOW...these were so good! Smooth, creamy and totally delicious, never had anything near as good.
We liked the salsa so much we bought some, they offer it in a couple size container.
So, try this little place out, we enjoyed it and will be back.

• Visited April 2014
2 Thank thomashardy777

Nanimo, British Columbia, Canada
“Worst dining experience so far.”
Reviewed 6 October 2013

Took twenty minutes to get my food to my table even though I could see it ready to go out, rice undercooked, and hard as rock, nachos soggy (with hardened cheese on top) and to boot there was a hair in my (cold) food, as well the staff were to busy socializing with each other to notice me whenever I tried to flag them down. When I could finally pay for my order they ended up over charging me by 6$ terrible value for a small portion. Never going back, and never recommending this place to anyone I know. incomparable to other mexican places in town like Gina's!

• Visited October 2013
1 Thank MikeJM13
Vancouver, British Columbia, Canada
“Ordered MORE”
Reviewed 13 September 2013

Baby Salsa is a little unassuming Mexican Restaurant at University Village Shopping Centre. Mexican decor and friendly staff greeted us as we settled in for lunch on a hot weekday afternoon. The tables were occupied, and patrons looked content. I have been spoiled by being raised by a Mexican nanny who made us fresh tortillas for breakfast and often brought us left over tamales left over from her family's dinner the night before.

I always order tamales when they are on the menu, and these chicken tamales stand up to my memory test: firm cornmeal/not too thick and dense filling/this time, chicken. I attempted to order a crispy shell bean taco only to learn it wasn't on the menu but the cook would do what he could. Soon there appeared a bean flauta on a bed of lettuce, covered with mexican cheese (not rubber Monterey Jack cheese that comes in uniform loaves) with guacamole on the side. So good, I ordered another (a first for me).

The person sharing the meal with me ordered two pulled pork quesadillas, one with traditional flavouring and another, the Hawaiian, marinated in juicy pineapple. So good, he ordered another (a first for him).

Even with our repeat orders, the bill came to under $40 w/tip. We coulda stayed all day, trying new Mexican dishes that were fresh and reminded me of what was food I grew up on a few times a week when I was young.

• Visited December 2012
1 Thank Sassamatt
Montreal, Canada
“disapointed”
Reviewed 7 September 2013

Service was poor, it was full and we wonder why? Must be a social watering hole, price of food not worth the portions at all, food was not what we expected.

• Visited May 2013
Nanaimo
“Excellent”
Reviewed 29 August 2013

First time trying this restaurant that has been in my list for awhile.
I was quite impressed.
Service was excellent. Sever went over the menu with us explaining items and suggesting popular items.
We chose the nachos to share. Portion size was excellent, nacho chips were delicious and the taste was great.
Complementary chips and salsa was a nice touch. The salsa is amazing and so tasty.
Overall an excellent experience. Can't wait to return to try some different menu items.

• Visited August 2013