“Fabulous property and a "Grand" experience!” 5 of 5 bubbles
Review of The Grand Hotel Nanaimo

The Grand Hotel Nanaimo
Ranked #10 of 19 Hotels in Nanaimo
Calgary, Canada
“Fabulous property and a "Grand" experience!”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 25 January 2013

We enjoyed a wonderful stay at this special boutique style hotel, hidden away in North Nanaimo. Aside from the warm greeting and excellent customer service from the moment we entered the lobby, the hotel is special in many other ways ... fabulous lounge featuring a scotch whisky bar unmatched anywhere on Vancouver Island, an indoor pool and a wonderful gift shop with some very special, unique goods. We enjoyed afternoon tea in their dining room and had a wonderful dinner experience too - compliments to the Chef! Our room was clean and fresh and very comfortable. Best kept secret in Nanaimo! Cheers to the team at the Grand and thank you for making our stay so special. We'll be back.

• Stayed January 2013, travelled as a couple
1 Thank Donna H

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (30)
Nanaimo, British Columbia, Canada
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 23 January 2013

I would like to spotlight The Grand Hotel in Nanaimo on Vancouver Island. This hotel is unique in many ways with its special teas, planned events, etc. Something relatively new is its gift shop called "The Pink Lollipop".

I visited this gift shop a few weeks ago. It had a truly wonderful & magical air featuring both local & global jewelery in addition to other giftware - some very unusual - all well made & extremely well presented.

Kudos to the owners/managers of The Grand Hotel for their continued efforts to provide hotel guests & visitors with such diverse options in addition to great cuisine, service and accommodation!

Stayed December 2012, travelled solo
Zurich, Switzerland
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 23 January 2013

Our family decided to stay at this lovely Boutique Hotel while visiting friends in the area. We felt very welcome the minute we walked in. The Front desk staff was helpful and friendly. All our wishes were fullfilled at our arrival at the Grand. The rooms are spectacular, very big, clean and comfortable with gas firleplace and jetted tub. After a nice refreshing dip in the pool my husband wanted to try the Whisky bar with over 120 different kinds of whiskies! Even I as a non Whisky drinker could not resist to pass a "Flight". (The exeptionally well knowledged waitress, put toghether 3 different kinds with 1/2 oz each). We learend a lot about Whiskies that evening. We did decide to invite our friends that night for Dinner at the Grand Cru Restaurant and let me tell you, "what a Chef"! From the delicious crab cakes to the Halibut or Seafood linguini, everything was lovely & very tasty. A BIG thank you to your staff! We will definitely return to The Grand Hotel and recommend staying here for business or just for fun!

• Stayed December 2012, travelled with family
Vancouver, Canada
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 21 January 2013

I was travelling through Nanaimo recently while visiting family after a business trip, and had the opportunity to try out The Grand Hotel. I've driven past it before, but never had enough time to stay overnight. On this trip, I had my travel companion (my pup!) with me, and was SO happy to see that The Grand allows pets. We stayed in a truly spacious room on the main level, with a view of their garden in the back. My pup was provided with treats in the room when we arrived and I enjoyed a relaxing nightcap in their beautiful lounge. In the morning, after a short stroll through the garden and surrounding area (Nanaimo is so cute!), I had a wonderful breakfast and checked out. I'd definitely stay at The Grand on my next visit, and recommend it to anyone looking for a truly exquisite hotel. (Thanks to the hotel for the beautiful earrings I bought in your Pink Lollipop gift shop. My friends are jealous!)

Room Tip: I stayed on the back side of the hotel, and loved it since I faced the garden and didn't have to...
  • Stayed January 2013, travelled with family
canada
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 21 January 2013

We were excited to check out this hotel because we thought we were in "for a treat".
Thinking it would be a nice fancy place, but it wasn't. The room was very dated, we tried to log into our laptop and iPad with no luck, so I called downstairs only to be told that you could only sign in with one per room, after telling her that that was the most ridiculous I had ever heard, she merely said "log off then the other can log on, or pay 6". It was a disappointment to say the least, nothing "grand" about this hotel. We will not be returning, or recommending to anyone. There are plenty of other cheaper options with other hotels that offer everything we want.

• Stayed January 2013, travelled with friends
    • 1 of 5 bubbles
    • 3 of 5 bubbles
    • 1 of 5 bubbles
    • 3 of 5 bubbles
    • 2 of 5 bubbles
2 Thank CanadaDreamcatcher

Travellers are raving about these Nanaimo hotels

Vancouver, Canada
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 19 January 2013

Came to try out a few whiskies at their whisky bar with my wife and we were so relaxed that we decided to make a night of it. The staff were really nice and it was during the holidays and we were not really rushed to be in the shopping frenzy. We had a quiet comfortable room with a gas fireplace, ordered some light appies. They gave us the late check out and had their tea service. We felt like we were a bit indulgent, but why not!?

• Stayed December 2012, travelled as a couple
1 Thank Eisus I
Vancouver Island
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 19 January 2013

I recomend this hotel to anyone traveling through Nanaimo on business, I is situated next to the mall, close to a movie theater, very safe, very freindly, I was alone on business and didnt feel uncomfortable as a woman traveling alone, everyone was very nice.
Good restaurant over the road Montannas, best Chipolte Burger i have ever had in my life,
bus service opposite hotel if you want to give driving a rest, takes you all over the city, down to the harbour.

Room Tip: The Hotel is located next to a shopping mall, so it is really nice if you can be at the back of the...
  • Stayed December 2012, travelled on business