“Vow, looked it...”

Ranked #11 of 19 Hotels in Nanaimo
Raipur, Chhattisgarh, India
“Vow, looked it...”
Reviewed 13 November 2013

This Hotel is though nestled in one corner of the town but still so close to the Mall. The Hotel is quite modern in all respects with a beautiful Lobby n Dining space. The room with me was highly spacious , neat n clean with all the modern Gadgets.Since we were there for one day only in route to Whistler as a part of our official tour, we really enjoyed our Buffet Dinner. The preparations were all top class n the staff was really welcoming, courteous n helpful.
In the morning hours,I went for a jog n was surprised to sight a deer nearby. In the early hours, the Property presented a tranquility in air n I wished my stay could have been little longer.

Room Tip: The rooms on any floor but the ones having Balcony facing the Highway passing next to Hotel.
  • Stayed September 2013, travelled on business

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (33)
Shawnigan Lake, Canada
Reviewed 10 October 2013 via mobile

This hotel is not on the strip but very close to the shopping. It has that old time charm yet relatively new and very modern. This is a hotel you would expect in a high end district yet nestled in the mall area. The rates are very reasonable for what you get and super clean. Again Wow and awesome for kids and family. Enjoy

• Stayed October 2013
2 Thank FCFireConsulting
Canmore, Canada
Reviewed 29 September 2013

Gorgeous property! Room I had was very spacious and the bed was very comfortable. The lobby is very welcoming and the staff were all genuinely pleased to assist with a smile. Good location with shopping mall and dining within walking distance. As I was on a business trip, I didn't have a chance to eat in the restaurant but did enjoy the lounge area, which is set in a very relaxing atmosphere. Next time I travel to Nanaimo, I will definitely stay here again!

• Stayed September 2013, travelled on business
Nanaimo, Canada
Reviewed 28 September 2013

The Grand lives up to its name. Another word I would use is " elegant". The decor reminds me of stately big city hotels where you feel special just walking through the front door. I attended a wedding this summer in the garden of the Grand with the reception in their spacious banquet room. The grounds were a lovely west coast setting for the ceremony. The food prepared and served at the reception was delicious, artistically presented and generous. The staff were courteous and accommodating showing patience and good humour with the several small children in attendance. I would recommend this charming and hospitable hotel for weddings, banquets or other group events.

• Stayed August 2013, travelled with friends
Richmond, Canada
Reviewed 21 September 2013

Hotel is located off the main highway in Nanaimo. The lobby is very impressive, and the staff at the front desk provide excellent customer service. The hotel is located close to a shopping mall with has a pharmacy, grocery store, and hardware store. The rooms are satisfactory, our room was clean, furniture is dated and patio area is in need of repair. Be sure to request a room in the rear of the hotel to avoid the traffic noise. The Grand Hotel would benefit from ongoing maintenance. There is a restaurant on the first floor of the hotel, but also a few others in walking distance. The pool continues to be out of service as was noted in other reviews. We recommend asking to look at a room at this hotel.

Room Tip: Rooms in rear of hotel are less noisy.
  • Stayed September 2013, travelled as a couple
Nanaimo, British Columbia, Canada
Reviewed 6 September 2013

I cannot express enough how delightful it was to recently attend a wedding at The Grand Hotel in Nanaimo, Everything was perfect! I don't know how it could have been improved upon. I highly recommend this venue for special events such as weddings, anniversaries, and any sort of large group gatherings

Since the weather co-operated, the actual wedding ceremony was held outside in the beautiful and well cared for garden at The Grand Hotel. The outside arbour had been decorated in keeping with the official wedding colours and served as a lovely backdrop for the wedding party in addition to providing a space for the registry signing after the ceremony.

As some of you may already know, The Grand Hotel is very elegant and well cared for. In addition to this, the hotel lobby and large "Crystal Room" were beautifully decorated for the wedding - again with the wedding colours.

The food was DELICIOUS! I heard many positive comments expressed. Food was also plentiful for the hungry attendees. Hotel staff were very friendly and obviously quite experienced in dealing with large events.

A local DJ provided the music and many of us danced well into the evening as the Crystal Room was large enough to hold multiple large tables and still have an adequate dance area.

I spoke with 2 families attending the wedding who stayed in the hotel for a night or 2 and they were quite pleased with and comfortable in their rooms.

Nanaimo is most fortunate to have such a wonderful venue for a hotel and for catering large & small events. My gratitute to the owners and staff at The Grand!

• Stayed August 2013, travelled with family
Campbell River, Canada
Reviewed 28 August 2013

My husband and I stayed here for 2 nights and we will never be back. Our first impression was this looks like a nice place and seems like a nice enough room, we booked the "Maple Suite" supposed to be one of the largest rooms with a nice big Jacuzzi tub with king size bed...that was extremely hard. Our first morning I had got up and while brushing my teeth at the sink, strange loud bubbling noises were coming from the toilet, and getting louder and more intense then water started to rise in the toilet, we had not used the toilet yet so seemed very odd. I woke my husband to come and look at this then after about almost 10 minutes of this the water just disappeared and went down then returned to a normal level. We then ordered room service for breakfast and it was very good we enjoyed it very much. Then I filled the Jacuzzi tub. When I went to get into the tub I noticed strange looking things floating in the tub many small particle looking things then one larger the size large grape. I scooped it out of the tub to see what it was and at first appeared to be a hair ball I thought maybe from the jets of the tub. At that time when I brought it closer to my face realized it was "feces" yes it was poo!!...the smell and in my hand had made me start gagging profusely. My husband came into the bathroom to see what was going on cause he could hear me gagging and vomiting. We called front desk told them, lady said she would tell management and send up cleaning staff. After about 20 minutes 2 cleaning staff came in and were also disgusted but then said they would take care of it. cleaning lady says to me that there was a blind man staying in the room 2 nights before us and maybe it was him, come on don't blame the blind man ladies, I would lean towards blaming the cleaning staff at that point.
Well then they proceed by turning on the jets with the dirty poopy water still in it then drain it and then use the cleaning products in it. I could not believe they did not drain it first then refill with clean water and run jets with clean water in it, to keep the dirty water in it and run jets was only spreading more bacteria in the tub eww.. This made no sense to me. Front desk told us they would tell management and we never did hear from management. We were told there is a no refund policy....GREAT...would you want to stay??..Well at least we had a separate shower that we could use.
I swear I will never get that visual and smell out of my head.
When checking out I told the person at the desk checking us out and he said I could give you $20 off and I said is that all you can do, I mean really my breakfast omelette and fresh fruit that morning came back up. So when that was all said and done I wasted almost $30 on my breakfast.They didn't even offer us another room and we were paying more for this room because it had a Jacuzzi tub, which was no problem to us as that what we requested...the problem was it was a tub that I could not use after that had happened.
I told him I was not happy about this, he said he would go and get the manager who did not come back with him, he just said the best we can do is $35 off.
I mean really it was even embarrassing telling this had even happened to us. But it did not matter that was the best they could do they said.
I also am a manager of a business in the accommodation industry in Campbell River for the same business for 21 years. We even advertise in the same hard copy Visitor Choice book you have placed in all of your rooms and lobby for destinations on Vancouver Island.
You made us feel as though what had happened was not important enough to deal with, and management may want to follow up on customer concerns especially when its something as disgusting and unsanitary as what happened to us.
We did bring our bathing suits but the pool was not in service. From the reviews we have read it appears as though the pool is out of service more than it is in service.
You have lost what could have been repeat customers!!!

• Stayed August 2013, travelled as a couple
16 Thank Sandra M

Travellers are raving about these Nanaimo hotels