“Awesome stay”

The Grand Hotel Nanaimo
Ranked #12 of 18 Hotels in Nanaimo
Reviewed 2 January 2014

We stayed here for 3 nights and had so much fun and relaxation, we stayed a 4th night. The entire staff here here are sooo accommodating and are so happy to help with a smile. The rooms are spacious and clean, but it was the service that stood out for us. As we stayed after xmas and before new years, it was fairly quiet... Which was actually nice for us to spend some quality time as a family. The staff allowed us to come downstairs and setup our big board game to play as a family and we had the best time:) Emi, 1 of the servers at the grand was simply amazing. She looked after us like we were royalty ... Thank you Emi:) The breakfast was also amazing. All in all, I would say that this is now one of my favourite places to stay. I have stayed here once before and this trip just confirms that the overall excellent experience and quality of service was not a fluke.... It is standard. If you are planning a stay in Nanaimo, this is a definite must. Thank you everyone at 5he Grand Hotel Nanaimo and happy new year!

Room Tip: We stayed in rooms 405 and 407, which were joining rooms which gave us easy access to our family,yet...
  • Stayed: December 2013, travelled with family
1  Thank KaarloR
There are newer reviews for The Grand Hotel Nanaimo

Reviewed 26 December 2013

The service was excellent, but the food was terrible. For the price ($50.00 per person) it was beyond bad. The applies and desserts were okay, but certainly not what you would expect for the price. The mains were substandard to say the least. The food was cold, there was no flavour.

Stayed: December 2013, travelled with friends
7  Thank Phil B
Reviewed 25 December 2013 via mobile

Just finished the Christmas Buffet at The Grand. Do not sit in the lounge area. We were given our seat and basically left. I understand that is was a buffet but some direction and letting you know that it was ready would have been nice.You are not in the main track of the servers in the lounge. The lady at the bar was sweet and did help us with the few questions we had. My water didn't get refilled unless I had to try and flag down a server. Also in the hot food section some of the food was cold. So most of it we were on our own. When we went to get the bill there is the gratuity already on the bill. We basically tipped them 12% to eat average food and have to work for our drinks. Merry Christmas..Thanks for the disappointment.

Stayed: December 2013, travelled with family
3  Thank foodddiiiieeeee
Reviewed 23 November 2013

A superb place to have any function. Staff was excellent and attentive. I will return again because of the great value and service. They also have the place nicely decorated for the seasonal occasion. I was happy with my room and thought that the hotel had a nice personality.
Scott
Rootstown, Ohio

• Stayed: November 2013
Reviewed 13 November 2013

This Hotel is though nestled in one corner of the town but still so close to the Mall. The Hotel is quite modern in all respects with a beautiful Lobby n Dining space. The room with me was highly spacious , neat n clean with all the modern Gadgets.Since we were there for one day only in route to Whistler as a part of our official tour, we really enjoyed our Buffet Dinner. The preparations were all top class n the staff was really welcoming, courteous n helpful.
In the morning hours,I went for a jog n was surprised to sight a deer nearby. In the early hours, the Property presented a tranquility in air n I wished my stay could have been little longer.

Room Tip: The rooms on any floor but the ones having Balcony facing the Highway passing next to Hotel.
  • Stayed: September 2013, travelled on business
Reviewed 10 October 2013 via mobile

This hotel is not on the strip but very close to the shopping. It has that old time charm yet relatively new and very modern. This is a hotel you would expect in a high end district yet nestled in the mall area. The rates are very reasonable for what you get and super clean. Again Wow and awesome for kids and family. Enjoy

• Stayed: October 2013
2  Thank FCFireConsulting
Reviewed 29 September 2013

Gorgeous property! Room I had was very spacious and the bed was very comfortable. The lobby is very welcoming and the staff were all genuinely pleased to assist with a smile. Good location with shopping mall and dining within walking distance. As I was on a business trip, I didn't have a chance to eat in the restaurant but did enjoy the lounge area, which is set in a very relaxing atmosphere. Next time I travel to Nanaimo, I will definitely stay here again!

• Stayed: September 2013, travelled on business