I travel regularly for business and have seen my fair share of hotels. I normally book the Coast Hotel when traveling through Nanaimo, however they were all booked and so I took a chance on the new Marinaside Resort. I was NOT impressed and this is why....
1. I did NOT feel safe here at all. As a female business traveller I did not appreciate the large glass door to my room that did not latch properly. The only recourse I had was to close the safety latch at the top of the door because the door itself did not close correctly to allow the actual door lock to catch. Nobody was available to fix the issue and I was told "all the doors are like that." Well, I feel so much better now. Yikes!
2. No parking (if the 5-6 spaces on the road are taken, you must park down below and in behind the hotel. There isn't a set of stairs or elevator to bring you up to the lobby so you must then walk through the parking lot, up the long winding driveway and back around to the front). Very strange set-up!
3. Room was dirty - it wasn't difficult to notice the dust bunnies between the bed and the night stand on the sparkly, stark-white floors. Obviously the room hadn't been thoroughly vacuumed (or vacuumed at all for that matter). Also, the bathroom products were obviously being refilled in cheap dollar-store type bottles as the screw-on lids were grungy. I also noticed a small stain (about the size of a penny) on one of the pillows. Gross!
4. Room was very small. I was constantly stepping over my suitcase when moving around the room (no place to put your suitcase but on the ground or on the bed)
4. The room was VERY warm 24.5 degrees and the only way to cool it down was to use a stand-up air conditioning unit that was extremely noisy and not very effective. It wasn't safe to open the window because
5. Decor was like sleeping in an asylum! Stark white. White everywhere...on the floors, the walls, the bedding, the window blind.
6. The bathrobes were missing the robe closure tie. Not very useful.
7. Noisy road traffic (unless you wanted to drown it out with the even noisier air conditioning unit)
8. Nobody at the front desk when I checked out at 7:45 am so I had to leave the key on the desk (which was left completely unattended). Made me think twice about anyone who may have had their photocopied credit card exposed. Again, some training and better business practices are in order here.
9. Bed was uncomfortable and felt cheap (similar to a hide-a-bed where you can feel the springs) and the pillows were too thick. Would have been nice to have a variety on the bed to choose from.
10. The location was good for me as I needed to be close to the ferry terminal but if you want to be within walking distance to shops and restaurants in Nanaimo, this is not the place for you. Again, stay at the Coast and save yourself the disappointment.
In a nutshell, I do not recommend this hotel. RUN, don't walk away from this place. Pay the extra $$ and stay at the Coast!
- Official Description (provided by the hotel):
- As it stands, the Palms hotel is the most luxurious hotel in Nanaimo. We have the largest hotel suites on Vancouver Island. Our Presidential suites are 700+- square feet, has a full hi-end kitchen (not kitchenette), complete with cooking wares. Our executive hotel rooms offer the finest linens in the City of Nanaimo, first class technology and European pillow top mattresses. Our boutique hotel offers multiple styles and modern contemporary designs; together these create the ultimate setting ideal for the traveling executive, transient physician, romantic getaways, corporate retreats and simply people who looking for high class accommodation. ... more less
- Reservation Options:
- TripAdvisor is proud to partner with Booking.com, Expedia, Hotels.com and Ebookers so you can book your The Marinaside Resort / Palms Hotel & Condominiums reservations with confidence. We help millions of travellers each month to find the perfect hotel for both holiday and business trips, always with the best discounts and special offers.