The Marinaside Resort / Palms Hotel & Condominiums
Ranked #29 of 34 Nanaimo B&B and Inns
Reviewed 18 October 2013

I travel regularly for business and have seen my fair share of hotels. I normally book the Coast Hotel when traveling through Nanaimo, however they were all booked and so I took a chance on the new Marinaside Resort. I was NOT impressed and this is why....

1. I did NOT feel safe here at all. As a female business traveller I did not appreciate the large glass door to my room that did not latch properly. The only recourse I had was to close the safety latch at the top of the door because the door itself did not close correctly to allow the actual door lock to catch. Nobody was available to fix the issue and I was told "all the doors are like that." Well, I feel so much better now. Yikes!

2. No parking (if the 5-6 spaces on the road are taken, you must park down below and in behind the hotel. There isn't a set of stairs or elevator to bring you up to the lobby so you must then walk through the parking lot, up the long winding driveway and back around to the front). Very strange set-up!

3. Room was dirty - it wasn't difficult to notice the dust bunnies between the bed and the night stand on the sparkly, stark-white floors. Obviously the room hadn't been thoroughly vacuumed (or vacuumed at all for that matter). Also, the bathroom products were obviously being refilled in cheap dollar-store type bottles as the screw-on lids were grungy. I also noticed a small stain (about the size of a penny) on one of the pillows. Gross!

4. Room was very small. I was constantly stepping over my suitcase when moving around the room (no place to put your suitcase but on the ground or on the bed)

4. The room was VERY warm 24.5 degrees and the only way to cool it down was to use a stand-up air conditioning unit that was extremely noisy and not very effective. It wasn't safe to open the window because

5. Decor was like sleeping in an asylum! Stark white. White everywhere...on the floors, the walls, the bedding, the window blind.

6. The bathrobes were missing the robe closure tie. Not very useful.

7. Noisy road traffic (unless you wanted to drown it out with the even noisier air conditioning unit)

8. Nobody at the front desk when I checked out at 7:45 am so I had to leave the key on the desk (which was left completely unattended). Made me think twice about anyone who may have had their photocopied credit card exposed. Again, some training and better business practices are in order here.

9. Bed was uncomfortable and felt cheap (similar to a hide-a-bed where you can feel the springs) and the pillows were too thick. Would have been nice to have a variety on the bed to choose from.

10. The location was good for me as I needed to be close to the ferry terminal but if you want to be within walking distance to shops and restaurants in Nanaimo, this is not the place for you. Again, stay at the Coast and save yourself the disappointment.

In a nutshell, I do not recommend this hotel. RUN, don't walk away from this place. Pay the extra $$ and stay at the Coast!

• Stayed: October 2013, travelled on business
3  Thank Melanie L

Reviewed 11 September 2013

Good view and nice suits. Very comforting sitting room. Had a wonderful time the kitchen was a good asset to have and my friends had a good cooking time also. Mat was good and very hospitable person. Slightly hot in the roooms but again its summer.

• Stayed: August 2013, travelled with friends
Reviewed 12 August 2013

A beautiful one bedroom unit with a nice harbour view. Walking distance to downtown.

it seems to be early days for the complex and some wrinkles to iron out - for instance - one beautifully presented wine glass in the cupboard - not two, not 4 but one and the way it was stored they clearly knew there was only one. Also, cleaning needs to be a bit better - I don't appreciate black hairs on my "clean" towels and in the bathroom cabinet drawers.

• Stayed: July 2013, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 7 August 2013

This property is adjacent to a busy ship repair yard that creates frequent if not constant vehicle horn/siren noise, power tool and power washer noises all day. Less than a hundred metres behind the property is the landing path of passenger float planes that operate at least every hour with the attendant noise. Additionally, there is frequent noise from rowdy late-night/early morning revelers at the restaurant affiliated with the property and from boaters in the marina. There is no hotel staff on duty after 11:00 pm so that there is little recourse if there are noisy/unruly guests which we encountered several times during our stay. The room tended to be very warm; we could open the exterrior doors/windows but then incur the noises (above); There is no central air conditioning; room air conditioners are provided but are very noisy, ineffective and would preclude sleeping. The building layout/design is poor in that our bedroom was adjacent to the living room of the next room, so that late night revelers next door negatively impacted our rest.. The only sofa/couch in the unit is actually a fold-out bed; as a couch, it is extremely low and lacking in padding which makes it very uncomfortable.Lighting in the bathrooms is very poor; no lights illuminate the mirror/sink area. Bathrooms have no safety/disability equipment e.g. grab bars etc. and it is a high step up into the bathtub. Wifi is unreliable at best; we had to attend the front desk to ask that the modem/router be reset with some frequency. With the exception of Matt, the front desk staff see this as a great imposition and is less than customer-service oriented. Information provided by staff is less than reliable.
Much better value elsewhere.

• Stayed: July 2013, travelled as a couple
2  Thank Gareth G
Reviewed 24 July 2013

Since my husband and I were only passing through Nanaimo, we thought we'd take a chance on this hotel and book a standard room even though there weren't many reviews. First for the positives: The fairly new hotel is conveniently close to the Departure Bay ferry terminal and our room was very clean with a nice bathroom.

There were, unfortunately, a few design flaws that made our stay less-than-pleasant.
- Frosted glass door let in light and didn't feel very private. Because of the unique lay-out, your entrance is very close to your next door neighbor's and if his light is on late into the evening, you can see it through both frosted glass doors. Blinds on the door would have made a world of difference.
- Huge window. Normally, this would be great, but it was overlooking a street so you felt on display if the blinds were up. When the white roll blind was down, you felt as if you were in a white box. Everything was white - walls, ceiling, closed blinds, floor, bed and felt very closed in.
- Extremely small room. We kept having to jump over our suitcases to get to the other side of the room.
- No art. The only "art" on the wall was advertising for their spa and restaurant.
-Bedside table on only one side of the bed. Not a huge deal, but slightly annoying when you wear glasses and can't put them down beside you. The portable air conditioning unit right next to the bed took up the space on one side.
- Poor air conditioning. This is what killed it for us. Our room was 27.5 degrees when we entered and when we turned the air conditioner on, it was INCREDIBLY loud and only semi-effective (got our room cooler by almost 2 degrees). The hose at the back of the unit kept coming off as well, so it would occasionally blast hot air into our room. Worst night's sleep ever!!

All-in-all, the standard room really felt like an afterthought for the builder. I have a feeling that the 2 room suites are much nicer.

Room Tip: If booking a standard room in the summer, try to get one on a lower floor as upper rooms are MUCH to...
Stayed: July 2013, travelled as a couple
2  Thank kianbu
Reviewed 14 June 2013

Stunning accommodations, great location, great view and fantastic service. John and Harp leave no stones unturned to ensure their guest are comfortable. And the evening desk attendant Matt is a sweet soul as well.

Be sure to take advantage of the complimentary DVD's at the front desk.

Room Tip: If you have children's especially younger ones please request a room on the main floor so the li...
  • Stayed: June 2013, travelled on business
Reviewed 11 April 2013

Marinaside resort is a new first class hotel located on the water adjacent to a marina near Departure Bay with convenient access to downtown Nanaimo. The hotel design does not overwhelm you as you approach by car and the public areas are very basic with some of the services of a typical hotel missing due to it's condo/hotel concept. But once you step into the reception area you are cordially greeted and taken care of. We personally taken to our rooms by the owner/developer, John Nguyen. At first I assumed he was just the manager, but then discovered that Marinaside was his development. It is clear that John has paid carefully attention to every detail of this wonderful hotel from the design, development, construction, operation, management and right down to ensuring that there was a third robe in our suite for our daughter.

It was instantly clear what John's concept was to designing and running his hotel. He would save on the public spaces and hotel amenities and give all his attention to the rooms. Once we crossed the threshold we were very impressed with the contemporary rooms. A full size kitchen complete with stainless steel appliances and a combination living and dining room with black leather furniture placed on white marble floors. There was a separate bedroom with a very comfortable bed and a washer dryer combo off the corridor. A very beautiful suite with lots of space for our 5 day visit.

All of us enjoyed our stay immensely and felt right at home. We would strongly recommend Marinaside Resort as an excellent place to stay in Nanaimo. There really isn't anything else like it. Trust me I've looked and haven't found anything.

I hear John has plans for an exciting new project and I look forward to seeing what new concepts he brings to that development.

• Stayed: March 2013, travelled with family