Don't be fooled by the fancy new name, Waterfront Suites and Marina. The place is a mess. We'll go back to the downtown hotels and B & Bs where we were warmly welcomed and thoughtfully cared for. The friendliness that makes Nanaimo special is not in evidence here. The treatment we received was shocking. On arrival, our credit card was swiped twice – for the room charge (with insistence that we pay for the whole stay in advance) and again for a “security deposit” four times the usual amount. We travel widely for business and pleasure, and have never been treated this way, even in big cities and distant countries. They advertise kitchenettes, but guests are not permitted to cook seafood – in a waterfront marina motel! We were told there is a strict no-smoking policy, but the whole place stank of smoke, from regular cigarettes and also the illegal kind. When we asked why the room was not cleaned they said the cleaner didn't come in - no offer of a refund; not even an apology. It’s no surprise that their other place, the Grand Hotel, gets bad reviews. The owners plan to do more building, with a possible high rise that would ruin the waterfront. I can't believe they would pass a health and safety inspection. They talk about renovating rooms to "upgrade the decor." It's sanitation, business practices, and attitudes that need upgrading.
- Official Description (provided by the hotel):
- Only Oceanfront Accommodation in Nanaimo; Watching Sun-Rising on your bed; BBQ facility; All Unit full kitchen; Oceanview Balcony. ... more less
- Reservation Options:
- TripAdvisor is proud to partner with Ebookers and Hotels.com so you can book your Waterfront Suites and Marina reservations with confidence. We help millions of travellers each month to find the perfect hotel for both holiday and business trips, always with the best discounts and special offers.
- Also Known As:
- Waterfront Suites And Marina Hotel Nanaimo
- Moby Dick Oceanfront Nanaimo