“Awesome food” 5 of 5 bubbles

Ranked #32 of 321 Restaurants in Nanaimo
Price range: US$10 - US$25
Cuisines: Asian, Indian
Good for: Romantic, Special Occasion Dining, Child-friendly
Dining options: Lunch, Dinner, Accepts Mastercard, Accepts Visa, Delivery, Free Off-Street Parking, Free Wifi, Full Bar, Reservations, Seating, Serves Alcohol, Takeout, Television, Waitstaff, Wheelchair Accessible, Wine and Beer
Description: Gateway to India has been located in the heart of Nanaimo for over 20 years. Specializing in Indian cuisine, we provide our community with authentic Indian dishes. Dine in our modern contemporary Indian designed restaurant where we are capable of seating up to 100 patrons. We have a full bar and lounge where we specialize in making the best tasting mojitos!Find our food in local grocery stores and costco.
Victoria
“Awesome food”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 24 August 2013 via mobile

Went last night because of good reviews. Better than we even expected! Fresh and vibrantly flavorful. Great atmosphere and very reasonably priced. Heartily recommend!

• Visited August 2013

Nanaimo, Canada
“Amazing!”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 19 July 2013

The food here is outstanding! Best indian food I've had in ages, and definitely in the top few that I've ever eaten!
The place looks a bit rundown from the outside, which is a shame, because this most likely discourages people from going there... when really, as soon as you step thought the door, it's the opposite! I was pleasantly surprised by the Lovely atmosphere! Large interior, fancy, clean, and modern.
The service was friendly and quick.
The food isn't exactly cheap... I was a little miffed that the mains didn't come with rice, and you had to pay for that separately, but that being said, even the rice was above average!
And I can't complain all that much about price, because you get what you pay for! And this is the best!
I will be back often!

• Visited July 2013
Nanaimo, Canada
“A hidden gem in south Nanaimo!”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 4 July 2013 via mobile

Don't judge a book by its cover! The outside of the restaurant is not particularly appealing, but you will be impressed by the decor once inside. Even the background music is pleasing (not too loud, unique and contemporary East Indian).

And now the food: My wife only orders the butter chicken because as she says, "once you've discovered perfection, why would you want to try anything else?". I'm more adventuresome and have tried many dishes on the menu, impressed each time by the quality of the food, its careful preparation (spices and sauces), and the excellent service. You can also ask for your dish to be spiced mild, medium, or hot.

If you're in a hurry to dine, find a fast food place. The meals here are prepared individually and can take 20 or more minutes to arrive. A reasonable selection of wines are available but don't expect a 2010 Burrowing Owl Merlot on the menu.

Highly recommended!

Visited June 2013
Gabriola Island, Canada
“superb butter chicken”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 6 June 2013

Three of us enjoyed lunch here. Two had butter chicken and one lamb curry - all fragrant with distinctive notes of the various spices and perfectly seasoned to our choice of medium hot. The naan was simply the best I have ever eaten, piping hot, just lightly blackened for added flavour and truly delicious.

I have rated the food a 5. The service would be a 3 as it was adequate and average only. The decor was tasteful and the music very interesting and a pleasant accompaniment to our meal.

• Visited June 2013
    • 3 of 5 bubbles
1 Thank hmkay1225
nanaimo B.C.
“Wonderful food, service not so much”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 21 April 2013

The food here is amazing, truly. I loved everything we tried. We had a vegetable sampler starter, butter chicken, lamb curry, and Naan. SOOOOO good.
Unfortunately the service was not good, the waitress was on her own, too much for one person, not really her fault. There was some man that was dressed in an outside jacket that was randomly helping out, I honestly dont know why he did not take his jacket off at the very least, very unprofessional.
The first three drink selections I made were all out of stock. The Naan we ordered did not arrive until we had finished a third of our meal.
The renovations are lovely, really nice decor.
With better service and fine tuning this restaurant would be amazing, right now only the food is amazing. I guess that is enough for me.

• Visited April 2013