“Birthday dinner ruined by lack of service”

Gateway To India Restaurant
Ranked #34 of 321 Restaurants in Nanaimo
Price range: US$10 - US$25
Cuisines: Asian, Indian
Good for: Child-friendly, Special Occasion Dining, Romantic
Dining options: Lunch, Dinner, Accepts Mastercard, Accepts Visa, Delivery, Free Off-Street Parking, Free Wifi, Full Bar, Reservations, Seating, Serves Alcohol, Takeout, Television, Waitstaff, Wheelchair Accessible, Wine and Beer
Description: Gateway to India has been located in the heart of Nanaimo for over 20 years. Specializing in Indian cuisine, we provide our community with authentic Indian dishes. Dine in our modern contemporary Indian designed restaurant where we are capable of seating up to 100 patrons. We have a full bar and lounge where we specialize in making the best tasting mojitos!Find our food in local grocery stores and costco.
Nanaimo, Canada
“Birthday dinner ruined by lack of service”
Reviewed 30 November 2013

Went to Gateway to India for a birthday dinner because they have served us amazing food in the past. The excellent, friendly Scottish waitress was not there this evening. Instead, it seemed that they were training two very young and very inexperienced waitresses on a Friday night.

We ordered an appetizer, a drink and a main course. I drank my crunchy mojito that had been made with chunks of coarse sugar rather than simple syrup (weird) while waiting for the appetizer. We waited... and waited... and waited... watched people who came in after us get their food and finish eating... still no appetizer. The waitress finally brought us our entree, followed by a lady who set the appetizer on our table without saying a word. The appetizer was stone cold and there was a long, dark hair on our rice. Unfortunately we could not tell anybody about these issues because no one ever came near our table again. We ate the warm and hairless parts of our meal (which were good) and waited for someone to bring us the check... and waited... and waited... Eventually we gave up and went to the front to pay. We told them about the cold appetizer that had arrived after our entree and showed them the hair in the rice but were not offered any apology.

We had wanted to order a few drinks since it was a birthday dinner, but no one was available to take our order. We were also there to purchase a gift certificate as a Christmas gift for a friend, but we will be getting them a certificate for a different restaurant instead.

• Visited November 2013
2 Thank zombiepirate

Courtenay, Canada
“Excellent Indian Food!”
Reviewed 25 August 2013

There is much more to this great restaurant than meets the eye when driving by! The decor inside is much more impressive than the exterior would suggest. I'm really glad I've now made my way inside a couple of times--once with my son, and once with my wife and another couple. I've enjoyed chicken curries, lamb curry, as well as several vegetable curries, and I've not been disappointed by any of them. The spices have been just right! I especially appreciate being able to order aloo mattar. For some unknown reason, this favorite of mine has rarely been on the menu of the Indian restaurants I've visited in North America. The restaurant seemed understaffed when I visited, so service was a bit slow; but this was a minor issue. I'll definitely be back.

• Visited August 2013
1 Thank paulhami
Victoria
“Awesome food”
Reviewed 24 August 2013 via mobile

Went last night because of good reviews. Better than we even expected! Fresh and vibrantly flavorful. Great atmosphere and very reasonably priced. Heartily recommend!

• Visited August 2013
“Amazing!”
Reviewed 19 July 2013

The food here is outstanding! Best indian food I've had in ages, and definitely in the top few that I've ever eaten!
The place looks a bit rundown from the outside, which is a shame, because this most likely discourages people from going there... when really, as soon as you step thought the door, it's the opposite! I was pleasantly surprised by the Lovely atmosphere! Large interior, fancy, clean, and modern.
The service was friendly and quick.
The food isn't exactly cheap... I was a little miffed that the mains didn't come with rice, and you had to pay for that separately, but that being said, even the rice was above average!
And I can't complain all that much about price, because you get what you pay for! And this is the best!
I will be back often!

• Visited July 2013
Nanaimo, Canada
“A hidden gem in south Nanaimo!”
Reviewed 4 July 2013 via mobile

Don't judge a book by its cover! The outside of the restaurant is not particularly appealing, but you will be impressed by the decor once inside. Even the background music is pleasing (not too loud, unique and contemporary East Indian).

And now the food: My wife only orders the butter chicken because as she says, "once you've discovered perfection, why would you want to try anything else?". I'm more adventuresome and have tried many dishes on the menu, impressed each time by the quality of the food, its careful preparation (spices and sauces), and the excellent service. You can also ask for your dish to be spiced mild, medium, or hot.

If you're in a hurry to dine, find a fast food place. The meals here are prepared individually and can take 20 or more minutes to arrive. A reasonable selection of wines are available but don't expect a 2010 Burrowing Owl Merlot on the menu.

Highly recommended!