“mousy mansion” 1 of 5 bubbles

Arundel Mansion
Wales, UK
“mousy mansion”
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 6 June 2012

Stayed at arundel mansion on a recent study trip, don't know where to start, the mice, the drug addicts or the sky train, the choices. On arrival we found poison around the room and when questioning this we was told it was to kill the mice that infested the hotel, no lie me and a friend shared the sofa bed with Timmy the mouse for 3 weeks. Timmy and his army often were visible in the hotel in the kitchen, guests luggage and the neighbouring cafe!! surprisingly the mice were not the worst part of this stay trying to leave the hotel one day we were faced with a junkie taking his daily fix on the door step, apparently a regular occurrence!! Finally the sky is right next to the hotel, for the first few nights it did keep us awake however we did just become accustom to it and it was convenient . Overall found the place to be dirty and it put a strain on our hotel. p.s. the rooms don't always lock so keep your stuff on you.

Room Tip: choose a different hotel if the sky train doesn't keep you up the mice will!!!
  • Stayed May 2012, travelled on business
1 Thank lol192

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (11)
Victoria, Canada
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 1 June 2012

We stayed for 2 nights, the last weekend of May. When we arrived we couldn't get in as the door was locked, so we had to phone the number on the sign. According to the owner that was Booking.com's error for not putting that info on their site. The elevator was old and rickety, my husband liked it but I had my doubts about it. Being an old building the floors were very creaky, so we heard the people upstairs walking about. We were supplied with earplugs, that should have been our first clue about the noise. Being a very warm weekend we had to sleep with the window open so we heard the sky train at least every 10 minutes until it stopped running at about 12:30am, and then the other train blowing it's whistle at about 3am. On Saturday night there seemed to be a party going on right below our window. The clawfoot bathtub had big chips out of the enamel, we were very concerned about getting lead poisoning from paint chips. The water pressure in the shower was terrible! We had to go out and buy our own shampoo, conditioner, etc. They supplied a big bar of Ivory soap, that's it for the bathroom, except for towels, facecloths etc. The couch was actually a loveseat, but it was comfortable. The kitchen and dining area were conveniently stocked with dishes, silverware, pots and pans, etc. Great price for a suite and it was clean. The bottle of wine and fresh flowers were a nice touch. Close to amenities, which is good. All in all it wasn't a terrible place to stay, it was just very noisy.

• Stayed May 2012, travelled as a couple
St. Cloud
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 18 May 2012

Due to my mother's illness the Royal Colombian hospital had recommended Arundel Mansion. I was welcomed and greeted at the airport and after a short drive I was escorted to my apartment. I was pleasantly surprised by the charm, fresh cut flowers and the beautiful yummy bottle of wine that was much appreciated after such a long flight. I felt welcomed and at ease. I highly recommend this for anyone traveling from afar. Restaurants, coffee cafes, shopping and sky train just steps away. I'm frankly a picky B if you know what I mean. I travel due to my work and I can tell you that this is a re-visit kind of place. I thank them for making me feel at home under such a stressful situation.

• Stayed May 2012, travelled solo
3 Thank Jennseye
Winnipeg, Canada
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 9 December 2011

I came into Vancouver and was very lucky to find this excellent building. Very well kept, and clean. This place was perfect for myself as I was travelling. It was a large spacious completely furnished apartment with a comfortable queen sized bed, nice character furniture, and it even came with dishes. Everything to make you feel at home. Free wireless interet was included with the cost of the suite which was quite modest. Skytrain a block away made reaching the rest of Vancouver a breeze, also up the street from a coffee shop, bank and shopping is a short walk away. Definatly will be my first stop back in Vancouver.

• Stayed November 2011, travelled solo
2 Thank Tones83
Ottawa, Canada
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 28 November 2011

Arundel Mansions is a different sort of place. It is quite Victorian, but charming. It is a collection of sizable apartments in an old building in the centre of New Westminster. The apartments are very spacious and comfortable, with bedroom, living room, bathroom and kitchen. The beds are good, and even though the skytrain is close by, the noise is minimal. The elevator leaves something to be desired, but it works. There are restaurants nearby and the skytrain station is less than 5 minutes away for those who want to get in to central Vancouver. The price is about the same as one would pay for one room (with no kitchen) in a standard hotel. We have stayed there twice, and my wife, who is usually quite picky, is very comfortable there.

• Stayed September 2011, travelled with family
2 Thank Feodor_Dostoevsky
Cleveland, Ohio
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 30 October 2011

This rental property has the potential to be a fantastic place for travelers...but is in need of major remodeling. There is plenty of space in the rooms but you do feel as if you are taking a step back in time with the outdated furniture, lighting and spotty internet. As travelers from outside of Canada, we relied heavily on internet to guide our trip and so it was frustrating to not be able to access the internet from our apartment during our stay at the mansion. When we called management to report the issue, they did not have a solution. Also, our room was directly above the Sky Train which yes, is convenient for traveling but is terrible for a good night sleep.

• Stayed September 2011, travelled as a couple
3 Thank Angie0702
Toronto
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 11 October 2011

We travel to Vancouver a couple of times a year. Eversince our friends told us about this place in 2008 - we never went back to a chain hotel. This place has a charm to it, every room is decorated differently. You feel that you are somewhere in England. Well, probably because the owners of this this hotel are from England- Glynn and Myrna - they are amazing hosts. If you ever need an advice on where to go dine, or what to see in the city - ask them, they will recommened only the best. The hotel conviniently located a couple of steps away from the Skytrain- that takes you to Vancouver's center in just 20-25 minutes. There is a boardwalk with a few restaurants/bars by the Fraser river- a good place for an evening walk or a morning jog. My favourite part of the room is the clawfoot bath tub... It is very hard to find baths like that in the hotels nowadays. So, for all of you people out there who like to soak in the bubbly bath with a glass of wine - this is a place to be. They even provide you with a free bottle of red as a thank you gift. I recommened this hotel to everyone I know, and don't know. Your stay at Arundel Mansion will be rememberd forever, and you will want to come back again and again.

• Stayed May 2011, travelled as a couple
Happy Day Inn Hotel
#8 of 10 in Burnaby
Maywood
Holiday Inn Express Hotel Vancouver Metrotown

Been to Arundel Mansion? Share your experiences!