“So yummy”

Ranked #18 of 263 Restaurants in New Westminster
Dining options: Reservations
Dining options: Reservations
Reviewed 1 March 2014 via mobile

Went for dinner with some friends. Food was spectacular and very affordable. They have a drink called tropicalita. ...it's a must. They are expanding, therefore less waiting at the door.

There are newer reviews for Taqueria Playa Tropical

Reviewed 3 February 2014

The atmosphere in this restaurant made me feel like I was on a holiday. The service was wonderful and the restaurant it clean, cute and fun! The food...oooooh the food...it was dynamite! I highly recommend the tacos (the steak one is amazing) and the monster burrito is just that...a monster in size and taste!!!! Good luck finishing it in one sitting! The margaritas are delicious and I will be back again and again!! Thanks ladies for the fantastic service each time we go there!! :)

Reviewed 26 January 2014

Stopped by for an early dinner and was very happy with the Chicken Tostatas.
My husband had the 3 Taco dinner & enjoyed it also.
Reasonable price & fairly quick service, because we were ahead of the dinner rush.
Was starting to get busy as we were leaving, so go early or be prepared to wait.
A friendly, down home atmosphere, with good food.
That's a hit in my books!

Reviewed 8 January 2014

Hoped to find good Mexican enchilada. Both the red and green sauce was not good. Tasted very sour and like out of a can. The chicken enchilada itself was just doable and not much cheese on it nor much of sour cream either. Too much of the refried beans and the rice. Could have cut down on those two items and included a bit of green salad. Very very disappointed in the fish taco. We ordered a pulled pork taco as well and when it came my mouth dropped because the fish taco had almost nothing on it and I even asked if something was missing. Will have to think twice about returning and trying something else.

Reviewed 12 December 2013

Not everything is Mexican; a little bit of Madrid; a little bit Honduras;
But everything mixed in my order was good. My friends and I enjoyed the taste.
I ordered a meal that came with fried fish ( halibut), mushed beans, and rice, with tacos.
While the meal could be supply you with more carbohydrates, the portions were just excellent and the taste of the meal was not bland like the ones from Spanish restaurants. The was enough salt and spices but these do not dominate the overall taste of the food.
Customer service is superb; the place is quite small but well spaced from one table to the next.
I observed adequate lighting so you can actually see the right color of what you're eating. The only downside of the place is parking. You park on metered street parking or on the side streets. If you live along bus stop area, you can take the 106 bus from Metrotown or New West train station and get off in front of the restaurant.
This restaurant is clean. The servers are polite and respectful. The price of food is just right, not overpriced Mexican food and for the value of my meal over $11.00 I can't complain. I didn't mind giving a good tip to our server.