“Sometimes price is also a values choice”

Pacific Breeze Winery
Reviewed 12 February 2014

I'll explain the title first then get into my review.

I've seen a couple of reviewers complaining about the price of the wine and felt compelled to respond. Yes the wine is not cheap (750 mL bottles were in the $20 - 25 range). And yes you might be able to save a buck or two on comparable wines if you do your homework and buy wines from larger producers (but I don't think that would be as easy as some suggest). However, I think at some point we have to look at buying and supporting local stores and producers. So as part of my values system, I think it is worth paying an extra buck or two, especially for a luxury item such as wine, if it means I am supporting someone locally. I can understand if you want to bottom-line it and try to squeeze everything you can from each dollar but for me, sometimes paying a little extra for something like this is worth it (and yes, for some things, I can be quite miserly).

But let's go on to the actual review:

The location looks very industrial on the outside but well worth the trip. Our tour took about an hour and I really enjoyed the discussions we had with the wine maker. He's young but enthusiastic, very honest, and bold as far as wine-making goes. It was nice to see the work areas but they aren't very different (maybe smaller) than most wineries. The sampling area wasn't the same as sitting on a deck in the Okanagan but siting in a room full of barrels of wine was quite charming and fun. It was, overall, a nice experience. Learning the history of the site was also fun.

The wine sampling has a posted cost of $5 but they do credit that towards any wine purchase. The wines we sampled were selected seemingly on the spot as our host figured out what our preferences were. I liked that. Rather than getting stuck sampling the same thing everyone else did, having selections catering to our tastes and our discussions (we did some sampling of the same wine in different barrels to see if we could tell the effect of the difference in barrels) was great. They did have some cheese, crackers and salami slices available but there's not a lot (mind you we only picked at them).

I like robust fragrant wines and Big Red certainly was a good match. I also liked the Cab Sauv's they had.

They do offer a wine club wherein you commit to buying 2 to 3 bottles of wine 4 times per year. Joining is free (but you do have to commit) and that gives you 5% off single bottles or 15% off cases. It also entitles you to some events they have (like wine tasting) and a free 10-person wine sampling for you and your friends. Seems like a good deal since I liked the wine so we signed up.

I found the staff nice and never felt pressured to buy any wine or sign up for the club.

Over all it was a very nice experience. I honestly hadn't expected much given its location but was pleasantly surprised.

4  Thank PoCoSaf

Reviewed 25 November 2013

Wine tasting tour, a friend received a gift for four to do a wine tasting and tour. It was very interesting, loved the wine, and they gave good samples. Very enjoyable afternoon.

3  Thank yvonnecolebert
Reviewed 24 November 2013

I think it is worthwhile for anyone interested in wine to take a winery tour in a stripped down industrial bay. Wine making is usually cloaked in the mystique of rolling vineyards and musty cellars but, those belie the real art of wine making which is applied chemistry. Where better to be reminded of that than at Pacific Breeze where they make a very good product that tastes of grapes and terroir but without all the usual paraphernalia. Adds another dimension to wine understanding.

3  Thank Oliver1962
Reviewed 8 August 2013

Attended a Chamber of commerce function here and found the experience to be interesting.
They make some good wines especially the reds. Enjoyed the evening very much.

3  Thank lavenderjoh
Reviewed 4 August 2013

a great place to pick up a nice bottle of red - they have some very nice wines have a tasting and choose your favorite. They also have a wine club.

2  Thank debohay1234