“Unique food great service”
Review of The Spud Shack

The Spud Shack
Ranked #24 of 263 Restaurants in New Westminster
Price range: US$4 - US$12
Cuisines: Belgian, Canadian, Gastropub
Good for: Child-friendly
Dining options: Lunch
Reviewed 6 August 2013

Really unique food selection right outside the movie theatres making it popular on movie nights. They serve beer as well making it a nice relaxing place to meet prior to a movie or whatever. It is located at the Skytrain station so it is convenient to hop on/off if you are going somewhere else. The staff seems really focused on good customer relations and makes you feel very welcome. The food is excellent (comfort food) and unique. Highly recommended.

There are newer reviews for The Spud Shack

Reviewed 30 May 2013

This is my second visit to the spudshack and my first review.
My first time I went there I got the French fry nachos (which is a BRILLIANT idea btw) - I found the layer of topping to fry ratio too much. The layer of toppings was much thicker than the layer of fries French fries - some may appreciate this, but I go to a place like the spud shack for the fries as the main attraction rather than the toppings. Still very good.

That was a week ago. I went today and got myself a medium poutine. I found the cheese curds must have been previously frozen or something along the sorts...I wanted to love this dish but couldn't based on them (the cheese curds) - they were practically inedible (infact I left over half of them). They were very hard, didnt melt under the gravy or anything, very disappointing. I want a cheese curd that will hold it's shape, but will also melt a little, so that they become stringy cheese, rather than just a hard lump of cheese. That being said if they were edible, it was truly perfect gravy to fry to cheese ratio. They way they layered the fries, gravy and cheese, you were sure to have each fry covered in gravy without drenching it. Was absolutley spot on this way. (Some places just pour it all on top, leaving the bottom with no toppings, not this place!)

All in all? I think it's a great idea for a restaurant, and they're just experiencing some growing pains that all new restaurants have. I hope they do read these reviews, as I could have the potential to be a loyal customer. Will I be back? Definitely.

On a side note, their loyaltree app is great - i just wish there was more than an hour to scan the code (2 would be perfect!)

Reviewed 30 January 2013 via mobile

Fresh frites with a number of sauces incl Dutch mayo, peanut sauce, etc. just at the east bound New West Skytrain stop. Now serving some beers