All reviewsdenny's restaurantlots of parkingsmall fridgean upgradeokanagan lakecourtyard
Reviewed 8 October 2013

It's my 2nd time here but the hotel is my 3rd choice. I prefer the Ramada or the Best Western in that order. However, sometimes availability and price point land you at your least favourite.

That said, it's not a dump, it's clean and the staff if you can get hold of them are courteous. If you're in Penticton for anything to do with hockey (eg tournament, camp, game) it's a perfect location. The Sandman is a block from the rink. But if you're not here for hockey the location is irrelevant.

My knocks on the Sandman are; the wireless is painfully slow. There is no tech help and repeated calls to guest services between 8 and 10pm were not answered. The fitness centre is 4 pieces of exercise equipment in a hallway. Expect to see guests rolling by with their luggage while you workout.

• Stayed: September 2013, travelled on business
GraemeJenkins, General Manager at Sandman Hotel Penticton, responded to this reviewResponded 11 October 2013

Thank you for your review. I am pleased you found the Hotel clean and the staff courteous. I am sorry to hear we fell short in other areas of your stay. We value your feedback and you taking the time to make us aware of our shortfalls. I will address your comments with our Management team and we hope to see you again in the near future.

Reviewed 4 October 2013

Pleasant welcome at reception but after no response from front desk for an hour.I finally phoned the outside number and a very courteous man attended to my needs.I believe there was a technical hitch.I could have used a handicapped bar for shower and help with bags but I did not ask for that and I looked fine!

• Stayed: September 2013, travelled solo
Review collected in partnership with Easytobook.com
GraemeJenkins, General Manager at Sandman Hotel Penticton, responded to this reviewResponded 7 October 2013

Thank you for your review. I am pleased to hear your enjoyed the service, we had a temporary technical interruption to our phone lines that day. We value your feedback and look forward to seeing you again.
Kind regards

Reviewed 1 October 2013

Pretty nice room, although a little small. Pool was open, hot tub too. Walls were really thin so lots of noise. Other than that it was reasonable price and nice and clean. Will stay again if I'm coming through.

• Stayed: September 2013, travelled on business
Review collected in partnership with Easytobook.com
GraemeJenkins, General Manager at Sandman Hotel Penticton, responded to this reviewResponded 2 October 2013

Thank you for your review. I am pleased to hear you enjoyed the clean room and friendly staff. We pride ourselves on value for money. We look forward to seeing you again.

Reviewed 12 September 2013

This review is to replace one I wrote after an unfortunate and smelly upstairs-bathroom-flooding event, which the general manager assured me was water from a bathtub, that happened on our first stay. He later phoned me to make things right (originally the clerk offered a small discount on a smoking room, which was the only room left in the entire city due to it being the night before the Ironman Triathlon, but that room was unacceptable because of the smoke smell, so we left), and so after all that, we were given a certificate for a stay in an upgraded room on the top floor. The second stay is the one I'm reviewing, since a careless guest wasn't something that could have been prevented.

Though the lobby area is modern, spacious, and posh, the rest of the hotel is, well, old; so the rooms are small and the hallways are narrow and dim, with old carpet. To get to some of the rooms is like finding your way through a maze; we had to go up an elevator, into a little cubby, through a door to the exercise room, through another door, and around a corner to get to our room.

The upgraded room we stayed in had light-colored wallpaper and multiple light fixtures on the ceiling, so it seemed well lit. And the decor was black-and-white and modern looking.

The window overlooked the atrium and the pool, but since it also had a clear view into the rooms across the atrium (and the guests in those rooms had the same view into our room), we had to keep the curtains closed; good thing the curtains were attractive. It was very quiet (it was also a Sunday night in September).

The room had a king bed (I couldn't find any mention of king beds on the website, so if you want one, you'll probably need to call the hotel) and a small fridge. There were terrycloth robes as well as slightly fancier shampoo than usual (it smelled minty instead of generic).

We were given a certificate for a free appetizer with the purchase of a drink at the hotel's bar. The waitress/bartender was apologetic about the free appy being "just some fries and a couple chicken wings," and I have to agree that seemed kind of disappointing (and the wings didn't seem to have any seasoning). The eighties music was nice, since we're from the eighties. I watched the bartender mix the drinks, and she measured everything just fine, but both my husband and I thought they seemed nonalcoholic.

The clerk encouraged us to park our motorcycles right up under the canopy by the lobby door so the staff could keep an eye on them and weirdos wouldn't try to sit on them (her words).

Room Tip: If you want to be able to leave your curtains open while you're in your room, ask for a room that doesn't overlook the atrium. If you can, book your room for a time that's not busy because the rates can vary a lot.
  • Stayed: September 2013, travelled as a couple
GraemeJenkins, General Manager at Sandman Hotel Penticton, responded to this reviewResponded 17 September 2013

Thank you for your review. I am pleased we had the opportunity to invite you back and you enjoyed your stay. We certainly value your feedback and appreciate your comments. We look forward to seeing you again soon.
Kind regards

Reviewed 8 September 2013

Rooms run down - yucky douvet, countertops chipping etc

Service:
-In 2 nights room was never once cleaned/towels replaced/beds made etc (despite being put on floor as instructed) - made sure the do not disturb sign was not up.
-Room service plates were left out by someone on the floor and no one came to collect them the whole time we were there... I dont think anyone came to our whole floor all weekend.
-Rooms that face the in door pool do not have windows that can open - gets very stuffy and muggy if you dont have AC on, but gets really dry if you have AC on (open window usually helps with this).

Hot tub was horrific - bubbling with floaties - off coloured - when we were sitting on the edge with our feet in the floaties in the tub gathered on our legs and suits to the point of it looking like vomit was on us!

Good location - walkable to the Okanagan beach BUT so are half the other hotels in town. For this price you can find better places in town!

Denny's is attached so no breakfast included, they just expect you to go to Denny's (good if you dont normally eat at your hotel)

Room Tip: Make sure room is not surrounding the pool - get a room with a window that can open.
  • Stayed: August 2013, travelled with friends
1  Thank Ajm4
GraemeJenkins, General Manager at Sandman Hotel Penticton, responded to this reviewResponded 9 September 2013

Thank you for your review. I am sorry to hear of your disappointing and unacceptable experiences during your recent stay. Housekeeping ensures all rooms are cleaned daily and the room service items are removed from the hallways as soon as they are placed outside the guest rooms. We follow strict guidelines in regards to daily pool and hot tub cleaning outlined by interior health and take pride in the hygiene levels of our public pools. I would like to opportunity to address this first hand and personally follow up on your comments. I would need to identify the room you were in so I can address these shortfalls with our management team. I would kindly ask you to contact me at your convenience.
250.493.7151
gm_penticton@sandman.ca
Look forward to hearing from you.
kind regards