“ironman, must come”

Swiss Sunset Inn
Swiss Sunset Inn
Ranked #20 of 44 Hotels in Penticton
Reviewed 5 November 2011

This was my first time ever visiting Penticton for the Canada's Ironman festivities and i had a real fun time. Being from nyc, we don't have views like these. In regards to the hotel, it was very clean, pleasant, and accommodating. Peter was very nice to my wife and kids. The pool was very pleasant and the rooms were very clean and comfortable. Overall, I will stay again. Thanks Peter.

• Stayed: September 2011, travelled with family
2  Thank navjot p
There are newer reviews for Swiss Sunset Inn

Reviewed 18 September 2011

We, also stayed here for the Ironman Canada this year (2011). My brother and husband participated in the event- and we rented out 2 motels- for the weekend (well longer- because of their min. night stay).

Not only was the service very poor- and rude- but the actual facility was dirty- and insufficient. The internet didn't work the entire 4 days we were there.. which was a bummer because we were relying on the ironman live page to track the racers and be at the check points at the appropriate times (which we missed). The hotel carpet was filthy dirty - stains all over- which we could see even though the carpets were dark grey. Peter was a nightmare- questioning everything I asked when I came to the front desk- and trying to charge us extra for "additional guests" - which we did not have. He also charged our credit card more than the agreed amount.

There are several other motels/hotels to stay at- even for ironman canada. I would highly suggest you find another place to stay. Peter and the Swiss Sunset Inn were a nightmare- and I rarely give negative reviews..

Room Tip: There is no good room. Peter will lie to you and tell you that you have "the best room in the...
  • Stayed: August 2011, travelled with family
2  Thank EricatN
Jessiepenticton, Owner at Swiss Sunset Inn, responded to this reviewResponded 29 October 2011

These guests rented two rooms and asked me if I could accommodate them with their rooms side-by-side, which I did. The only thing which I told them was that if they had extra guests, its a $10 extra charge per night and I was told they might have somebody on Saturday night, which they did because there was an extra car parked in front of their room. I did not even bother asking them if they had any extra people or not because they never called me since they were told to let us know. All of our 25 rooms were full for 5 nights, during the Ironman and we had a few repeat guests. The service cannot be poor because the ladies came to the office 3-4 different times to get scotch tape, etc. and I provided them every time. They asked me to get their picture with the camera because they didn't have anybody to get the picture and I did. How come the motel would not have extra towels? We have been in business for the last 8 years and we have lots of repeat guests and even the new guests who come stay with us, they go home and send us thank-you cards for the service and the accommodation. I just don't understand why they would give a small business a bad name by giving these kind of negative comments since small businesses are the back-bone of our economy. We are in the hospitality industry; there is no way anyone can be rude to their guests. We try our best to please everybody.

Reviewed 31 August 2011

This is the first review I have ever written regarding anything. The only reason I wanted to write this was to tell anyone doing the Canada Ironman to stay anywhere but the Swiss Sunset Inn! I am not going to waste a whole lot more time explaining why but I will list some of the "highlights" of our stay.
-couldn't get an extra towel because they wouldn't have enough
-a little water spilled on the carpet and as I mopped it up with the towel the dirt in the carpet was disgusting. I had never seen anything like it!
-blood on the sheet.
-the fridge hadn't been emptied from the previous guest (rotten apple).
-cold showers
-charged extra when I checked my credit card after I got home.
-Peter at the front desk was incredibly rude
-$160 a night
-The interenet didn't work and when we asked the front desk why not, Peter explained that it was too expensive to get the good internet provider.

• Stayed: August 2011, travelled as a couple
4  Thank StanleyS1978

We never charge anybody extra and I never got any charge back from the credit card company for charging extra whatsoever. In our business, we try to be polite to everyone because they are all paid guests and it is our responsibility to look after our guests interests, which we always do. We have a lot of aged guests who do not want to go on the internet and post their comments, but I do have their thank-you cards which came in the mail for my hospitality and they always say to me "Thank you for everything". We service the rooms every day so the carpets cannot be dirty as described. The blood on the sheets were never mentioned to me while these guests were here or the rotten apple, otherwise we would have corrected that mistake right away. Our internet was working okay, but it is wireless internet but every place does have some issues here and there. If we were notified, we would fix the problem right away. The wireless internet system is owned by Swiss Sunset Inn, and there is no provider for the wireless and we have the router system at our facility. As these guests had commented about our facility, I'm pretty sure they would have left if that was the case.

Reviewed 9 September 2010

Overall this is a very good place to stay while in Pentiction. It's well maintained and very clean. It's about 4 km from Okanagan Lake (downtown) and 1 km from Skaha Lake. There is a Tim Horton's across the street and a small mall just down the street.
The reason this motel stands out from others is mostly due to the owner. He's very personable and is very concerned with the satisfaction of his guests. When I had issues with the hairdyer one day, he was there in an instant. When he couldn't resolve the problem he went out of his way and brought me his daughter's hairdryer. He was always around and made sure we had everything we need. When my husband wasn't feeling well after the Ironman, he called to check up on him. You wouldn't get that kind of service at a Hilton or other major chain hotel.
The general use area and pool were clean and quite pretty with some table and chairs and picnic tables. There is at least one BBQ which I saw some people using.
The room itself is a decent size with a table and chairs, bed, chest of drawers and small t.v. The bathroom is small but clean and with good water pressure and decent towels. The bed is quite soft and when my husband moved I got bounced around a bit. But overall, we both slept well.
One note for the ladies: the hairdryer in the bathroom has very little power so bring your own if you have thick hair. Also we found that if the bathroom was very humid the hair dryer kept stopping so keep that in mind. If it cuts out on you right after a shower, open the window and wait ten mins or so.
IF YOU ARE THERE FOR IRONMAN CANADA:
Of course expect to pay more than usual. Make sure you do not change your reservations or you will have to pay more. We ended up changing our reservation by 2 days (6 instead of 8) and it cost us an additional $20/night. To be fair, the owner did note in bold in the confirmation email that there would be a change in price if the reservation was changed. It's a small family owned business and Ironman Canada is a high demand season.
It's a decent location for the Ironman with the bike course returning right in front of the motel and the run going out just the one street over. It's a bit far from the start (4km) but it wasn't hard to find parking the a.m. of the race and I just left the car where it was and it was an easy walk back to the hotel (as a spectator).
All the rooms (except those numbered in the 30's) are ground floor access with parking right out front. So if you don't want to carry your bike up the stairs ask for a ground floor unit.

• Stayed: August 2010, travelled as a couple
4  Thank Fam5To
Reviewed 12 July 2010

The owners gave us a 10% discount because a group of us were all staying there while attending a wedding.....this was a suprise that we were not expecting. The rooms are spacious and spotless. The pool is heated and the picnic area with gas barbecues were a great meeting place for us every day, and the grounds are really relaxing. The hosts were great in helping us to feel very welcome and help us with any of our needs. We would return here just for a holiday anytime.

• Stayed: July 2010