“Glad I didn't pay top rate!”

Penticton Lakeside Resort & Conference Centre
Ranked #5 of 44 Hotels in Penticton
Williams Lake, British Columbia, Canada
“Glad I didn't pay top rate!”
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 22 October 2013

Stayed here two nights for a conference being held at the hotel; received a very good corporate rate and am so very happy about that, because there were definitely some issues. Nothing serious, but not what one would expect for $250 or so a night.

First off, the beds are horrid. Hard and uncomfortable. Lots of pillows were supplied, possibly to make up for the awful mattresses?

Cleanliness was fair to middling; the place looked a bit tired, and the sheets on one bed were paper thin, with little rips from over-wear. Had a bath but had to clean the tub first - there was what looked like soap scum floating in the water when I first started to fill it, so had to try again. Yuck.

Internet was slow & sporadic, kept having to reconnect.

VERY noisy. We were on the parking lot side, on the 5th floor, and slamming car doors & conversations were extremely loud until the wee hours. And terrible to complain about such a thing, but even the fountain noise was intrusive when our patio door was open, which it was until we went to bed, because the room was very stuffy. Could hear noises from the floor above (including bathroom activity) plus anything going on in the hallway was very loud in the room.

On the plus side, the staff was very pleasant and friendly through out our stay. Used room service twice; the second time our order was not as requested, but we decided to just go with is versus the hassle of correcting. The food from room service (Barking Parrot restaurant, if I remember correctly) was all right but very average - definitely not gourmet. A bit overpriced for what we received, but not outrageously so.

The place in general is a bit of a mix. Public areas - lobby, conference room, restaurant - are nicely decorated and attractive. Rooms are a decade or two out of date, and the mattresses need a serious updating.

Didn't set foot in the Casino, so no opinion there!

My recommendation would be to go somewhere else if you are looking for peace and quiet and comfort. A very average facility, not in line with the promotion on the website and the room rates.

• Stayed October 2013, travelled on business
2 Thank 373Barb123373
godpr, General Manager at Penticton Lakeside Resort & Conference Centre, responded to this review, 7 January 2014
Dear Valued Guest,

Your feedback is extremely important to us, and we are happy that you took the time to write about your experience. I am glad that we were able to provide you with a good rate, and that you found our staff friendly and agreeable, as we strive to offer the best assistance whenever possible. I am also happy to hear that you were able to take advantage of our room service and appreciate your observance of our fine-tuned decor and ambiance. It is unfortunate to hear of your disappointment with regards to the level of comfort you experienced, and hope that in the future, should you choose to stay with us again, such problems can be rectified. Thank you again for your response and we look forward to hopefully seeing you again, whether on business or pleasure.

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (211)
Vancouver, BC.
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 22 October 2013

My wife and I stayed one night this October as Penticton was a central location for our wine tour. The hotel, being right on the beach, is well located and has excellent views if you pay their small upcharge for a lakeside room. However we found the hotel very dated and in need of significant upgrading to make one's stay enjoyable.
Specifically, the carpets in our room were so old and soiled that we only felt comfortable walking around with our socks on, the air conditioner/heater was extremely noisy and cycled constantly, the TV had very few channels, some of which didn't even work, and the room door cards continually had to be re-programed to open the door.
We ate at the Bufflehead Tapas room and were very disappointed in our meal. We both had veal which was accompanied by so much pasta that it was hard to find the plate and even though there was only a half dozen tables occupied had obviously sat for quite a while before being served. We both requested that the meal be re-heated and even then it came back cold.

Saying all this I don't know how many better choices there are to stay in Penticton, as most of the accommodation seems to be older type motels fronting on one of the two lakes.
On our next trip we will be taking the time to search out a bed and breakfast on the Naramata Bench, or stay in Kelowna at the Grand Okanagan, Vernon at Preditor Ridge, or Osyoos at the Watermark..

• Stayed October 2013, travelled as a couple
2 Thank Doug50
Vancouver, Canada
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 15 October 2013

Stayed overnight on Thanksgiving week-end. Didn't want to pay extra for a lakefront view; had a room on the 4th floor but still heard noise from the parking lot. Like other reviewers, I agree the mattresses need replacing and it's very difficult to adjust the room temperature if not impossible.
In our room, the carpets were stained badly and should be replaced.
It was pretty much a plain jane room with a high price tag.
Would not consider staying there again.
The only convenience was it is attached to the casino.

• Stayed October 2013, travelled as a couple
2 Thank gourmie
Dear guest,

On behalf of all out staff, we appreciate the time you took to write this review. Hotel cleanliness and room satisfaction is always of the utmost priority, and we take special care to frequently note all necessary improvements and modifications. That being said, mattresses are constantly being changed, and new carpet is ordered on a room-to-room basis. I am glad that the convenience of our location was a positive experience for you and I do hope that you would consider us again in the future.
Burnaby
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 30 September 2013

We stayed at the Lakeshore for 2 nights. After reading the reviews online, I asked for a quiet room far away from the Barking Parrot patio which fronts onto the lake, as all reviews mentioned the late night noise disturbances from the bar. I didn't realize that ALL the lakefront rooms are exposed to the bar patio, so sure enough, at 12:44 pm, we were woken up by all the usual late-night bar hooting and loud voices. GRRR.
We asked for a room change the next morning, and were immediately given a new room on the Beach Front, plus a breakfast voucher for the inconvenience. This was much appreciated. I recommend for anyone who wants to stay here, ask for the Beach Front rooms - still water view, but NO bar sounds in the night, although the large industrial air intake fans mean patio doors closed. It will make the difference between a good stay and a bad stay, in my opinion, and thanks to the front desk for the prompt fix to the problem and the free breakfast:))

Room Tip: Beach front rooms are quieter, but with AC noise from fan on roof below.
  • Stayed September 2013, travelled as a couple
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 28 September 2013 via mobile

Our room had a great view and the service was friendly. All in with the wine tour package and the coupons, it was a good value. For what they charge though, you'd think they could put a comfortable bed in the room.

Stayed September 2013, travelled as a couple
Vancouver, Canada
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 18 September 2013

The hotel is well maintained and attractive with fresh flower arrangements in the foyer, nicely landscaped grounds, an elevator that requires your card to enter, attentive staff, gorgeous lakefront location. It has two restaurants to choose from on the property. We ate at the Bufflehead both nights and were delighted with the food, service and ambiance. As for the room, 649, it was well away from the patio so that we didn't have to experience the noise of the late night partying that we experienced on our last visit a few years ago. The room was very clean and well furnished, good black out drapes, flat screen tv, and a lovely view. The main problem is the mattress, which is well overdue for replacement. They offered us another room a couple of doors down, but after trying out the mattress, we stayed where we were. It looks like more than one mattress needs to be replaced. Even with this shortcoming, I would recommend this hotel for a weekend getaway with all of its amenities and the beautiful view of the mountains and lake.

Room Tip: I would ask for a room as far away from the patio as possible if you don't want to be disturbed...
  • Stayed September 2013, travelled as a couple
Vancouver Island, Canada
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 17 September 2013

First off, let me start by saying that this hotel is beautifully situated. I recently stayed there for week while travelling on business and had a business-class room.

It's downfall is that it tries to be all things: Vacation resort, convention centre, business hotel, and casino/nightclub.

First complaint: Noise. Although I liked my room very much, it was on the lakeside (which I paid extra for), but from which I had to listen to all of the nightclub noises. It got so bad that I had to wear earplugs just to sleep on Thursday, Friday and Saturday nights.

If they want to have casino and nightcub that generate noise, then they'd better kick up their soundproofing. I can't risk a poor night's sleep when I have to be "on" for six days straight for work.

Second complaint: The abysmal excuse for a business centre. Part of the reason I decided to stay at the Lakeside Resort was because of the business centre advertised on the website. Well, take heed - of the two computers available, one does not work, and the other doesn't even have a Word viewer installed. Consequently, one cannot even open a Word document to properly to print it. The only printing is of PDFs.

When the front desk staffer tried to help me by having me email her the word document I was trying to tweak to the print, she couldn't even open it on whatever computer she had access to. She clearly had been in the same boat, and nothing had been done.

After some 20 minutes of fiddling, I had to go back up to my room, make the changes, PDF the document and then take it back downstairs to print. From then on I gave up doing anything extra at the so-called business centre, and made the trek to Staples (on the OPPOSITE end of town), to do my final prints and tweaks.

This is simply not acceptable to me. I will be travelling to Penticton on business throughout the year, and despite an excellent location within downtown, this hotel simply cannot accommodate the most basic needs of business travel, so I doubt I will stay again.

Room Tip: The lakeside has the nighclub, and the cityside has the casino. I doubt quiet can be had anywhere, e...
  • Stayed September 2013, travelled on business
3 Thank adrimcm

Travellers are raving about these Penticton hotels

Also consider these accommodations in or near Penticton
Ramada Penticton Hotel & Suites
Summerland Waterfront Resort & Spa
Sandman Hotel Penticton
Sandman Hotel Penticton
#31 of 44 in Penticton

Been to Penticton Lakeside Resort & Conference Centre? Share your experiences!