A quick two night getaway to take my mom wine tasting. We booked two 'beach view' rooms for about $241 plus taxes per night each. I read mostly positive reviews of this hotel so was looking forward to a beach-side resort style place.
We were given two adjoining rooms on the third level. I don't recommend this level for the beach-view rooms as it's right over a very large roof so most of your view is dominated by the roof with some city-park and beach in the distance.
The hotel immediately struck me as very dated and dark. The 90's heavy and dark decor didn't suit or compliment the bright beach-side location. The lobby and commons areas need to take advantage of this and be renovated in a bright and airy way with light colours and modern, clean and minimal furniture.
The rooms had a very dated heavy dark 90's feel as well. They did little to inspire a beach or lakeside mood, in fact they were bordering on depressing. The furniture might have been considered high-end in it's day but looked excessively dated and some of it was rather worn. The lining from under the armchair was hanging off, the carpet edges were fraying badly and the top sheets were torn in several places. It wasn't awful and in fact was relatively clean, it just didn't look fresh, welcoming or inviting at all. I hope they're planning some significant updates soon or I anticipate more 'meh' reviews.
We dined in the Hooded Merganser for dinner which was enjoyable. Food was pretty good, standard fare of seafood, steaks, some bowls and salads. My only complaint was the bread, $5 for four brown & serve hamburger buns spread out on a dinner plate.., come-on guys where's the artisan bread basket?... you're in wine country.
Overall I'd caution recommending this place unless you get a great deal. Splurge for the lake- views, the beach-views are just ok and will leave you wanting more. The staff seemed pleasant as well but I hope a big reno is in the cards, they've got the great setting but are not keeping pace with the high-standards of this area.
- Official Description (provided by the hotel):
- Penticton Lakeside Resort is a full service hotel in Penticton that offers luxurious amenities, clean, spacious rooms, and a spectacular view of Okanagan Lake. We offer a number of dining options, nearby attractions, and room accommodations to ensure that you can thoroughly enjoy your stay with us. ... more less
- Reservation Options:
- TripAdvisor is proud to partner with Booking.com, Ebookers, Odigeo, Hotels.com and Agoda so you can book your Penticton Lakeside Resort Convention Centre & Casino reservations with confidence. We help millions of travellers each month to find the perfect hotel for both holiday and business trips, always with the best discounts and special offers.
- Also Known As:
- Penticton Lakeside Resort Convention Centre And Casino
- Penticton Lakeside Resort Convention Centre Hotel Penticton
- Penticton Lakeside Hotel Convention Centre