“Most unbelievably rude hostess ever! I felt like I was being punked ... how could it be this awful?!?”

We can't find prices for this accommodation
Our online travel partners don't provide prices for this accommodation, but we can search other options in Penticton
God's Mountain Estate
Ranked #8 of 19 Penticton B&B and Inns
Reviewed 30 May 2013 via mobile

Hostess met us at the top of the hill and rudely barked at us "what do you want?", we thought we had pulled into the wrong place! We were there with a conference group for cooking classes. We had elderly people with wheel chairs with us right up to 5 year old children. After we asked her if she could contain her snarling dog she yelled at us to put our children back into our vehicle and that kids were not allowed here ... what?!?! Rather than apologizing for the ordeal it took for us to get everyone up the hill when the bus couldn't make it up the steep hill, she rudely said we should have walked up the kilometer long, 45 degree angle hill ... what about all the elderly people with us? And that our unecologically friendly vehicles were not welcome here and we should leave. It was truly an unbelievable experience. I came from Alberta to see this place and just was floored and hurt by its inhospitable nature :o( We will never return and we be sure to spread my experience with anyone venturing to the Okanagon!

• Stayed: May 2013
7  Thank Rhea321

Reviewed 29 May 2013

An absolutely horrible experience, If you are thinking about booking for a group, family or wedding DON'T. Recently went there for lunch with a group of people from 4 years old to 74 years old, from all over the province. The driveway was too narrow for the bus to go up which meant people had to hike up a 70 degree incline to the top. There was very little space for a vehicle to turn around, let alone a larger vehicle.If the bus driver had been able to make it to the top, his only option would be to back down which was virtually impossible. He only went a few feet into the driveway but still tore the muffler off the bus due to the terrible incline on the road. There would be no possible way that an emergency vehicle would be able to get to the house. I did a tour of the bed and breakfast..I did not see one working smoke detector or signs of a sprinkler system anywhere. They were going for the white plaster European villa look, but in fact it is a lot of plywood with crudely plastered overlay, a structure with add on clap trap additions all over the place. I even question the stability of the structure itself. I would describe the decorating style as Renaissance meets cowboy rancher. The owner was extremely rude and started yelling at the mother of a little boy, telling her to "get that kid out of here" She really scared him and made the little boy cry. She also yelled at the bus driver telling him that he was incompetent because he would not drive the bus up the steep and narrow incline.Nobody riding the bus wanted to be inside it if he did attempt to drive up, so that gives you an idea of the dangerous conditions.The organizer of the tour had asked especially if it was accessible prior to arranging the trip since we had some older people and those with disabilities on the tour. They outright lied to her about it being easy access. The food was very nice but not worth the abuse and problems. We were only there for a couple of hours and I'd had enough. The place will go up like a tinder box some windy evening and the fire department will be unable to help. Downright scary that they got a license to accommodate people on an overnight basis.

• Stayed: May 2013, travelled with friends
3  Thank Janice S
Reviewed 26 February 2013

My first workshop at Gods Mountain, a very powerful and enjoyable education experience that I cannot wait to return hopefully next February for another workshop. The new studio overlooks the lake and the inside is toasty warm heated by a large gas fireplace. The owner had suppled individual asian rugs for each student to lay their yoga mat on and filled the room with beautiful primulas. As you did your yoga and meditation you gazed out over the lake and past lovely trees. The first time I have been able to do 'tree pose' and actually see a live tree in front of me. The room I shared with my friend was luxurious with new bedding, modern bathroom and each bedroom boasted an amazing view out over the lake. The food was a new experience too, all made in the kitchen where the guest dining room afforded students to watch meal prep. Thank you Sarah and Richard to being so thoughtful and attentive to making this a wonderful week end.

• Stayed: February 2013, travelled with friends
1  Thank pfwestwood27
Reviewed 5 September 2012

Having travelled far and wide and experienced all types of accommodations over the years, God's Mountain Estate is definitely 'up there' with the best and most definitely a 'must return to' destination.
Sarah and Richard are wonderful hosts ... they open up their wedge of paradise graciously and their home feels like your home. Never does one feel a lack of privacy in the grounds - there are nooks and seating areas wherever you venture. The breakfasts are out of this world!
This is the first time that I've not wanted to leave a place and go home!! I am 'home'.

• Stayed: August 2012, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 30 July 2012

My husband and I took a trip to the Okanagan Valley with both sets of parents right after our wedding. An amazing trip was made so by our great stay here. our parents had beautifully appointed rooms with garden or balcony access, while my husband and I had an incredible panoramic view room right at the top of the building - access through a winding staircase, with a beautiful bathroom, and several reading and viewing nooks in our bedroom. The whole estate is just stunning, the public parts filled with books, games and things to do (also, great ease of access to wine tastings) and delicious breakfasts! Thanks again to Sarah and Richard for making our stay so memorable!

Stayed: July 2012, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 3 July 2012

Stumbled on this perfect setting for a long weekend of relaxation, wine tasting and a little bit of gourmet. Sarah and Richard and the dogs made us feel like long lost cousins! The setting is beautiful...many nooks and crannys to sit and gaze at the lake, read or snooze, indoor and outdoor cooking facilities, a spectacular brekky each morning and super comfy rooms with an eclectic twist. If you are looking for the sterility many high end accommodation facilities offer, this is not for you. If you want to relax in a fascinating place with the warmth of home you will love it.

• Stayed: July 2012, travelled with family
Reviewed 15 June 2012

The decor of the large public spaces at God's Mountain Estate resemble a 19th c. English countryside "pile" with a plethora of doors, tapestries, book cases and other antiques that take on the patina of family stuff that's been assembled over a century of will readings. This is Sarah's pile. She's got it quite right. I daresay anyone who doesn't feel inspired to start running lines form "The Importance of Being Earnest." should keep going until they find the ice machine behind the the world's heaviest door.

• Stayed: June 2012, travelled as a couple