“Interesting experience”

The Vanilla Pod Restaurant
Reserve with OpenTable
The Vanilla Pod Restaurant is not available for your requested time. Choose another time, or search restaurants with availability.
The time you selected has already passed.
Ranked #13 of 192 Restaurants in Penticton
Price range: US$15 - US$41
Cuisines: Wine Bar, Canadian, International
Good for: Groups, Local cuisine, View, Business meetings, Romantic, Special Occasion Dining
Dining options: Brunch, Dinner, Lunch, After-hours, Full Bar, Outdoor Seating, Parking Available, Reservations, Seating, Serves Alcohol, Waitstaff, Wheelchair Accessible
Dining style: Casual Dining
Description: At The Vanilla Pod restaurant, our cuisine style is focussed on local and seasonal ingredients with an underlying emphasis on flavour. Key ingredients include fresh herbs which in the summer months are picked from the herb garden next to the restaurant.Tapas style dishes of international and mediterranean flavours combined with fresh Okanagan ingredients make for a delightful exploration of contemporary cuisine. Visual presentation is as important as innovation in flavour with judicious use of spices and other seasonings being central to the dishes created by Executive Chef Bruno Terroso.
Penticton, Canada
“Interesting experience”
Reviewed 13 May 2014

We wanted to experience the restaurant in the evening on a Monday and were surprised at how busy it was.
Two of us ordered the special, which was a steak that had to be substituted for some reason but it was cooked to perfection and the portion size was excellent.
One of our group of three was not pleased at having to pay $5. for a glass of Pepsi or was it coke (not sure) and coffee at $3. a cup with no refill and far too strong was not in the least enjoyable.
I wouldn't take anyone back, we all preferred to say lets try somewhere else next time.

• Visited May 2014
1 Thank Deanna S
The_Vanilla_Pod, Manager at The Vanilla Pod Restaurant, responded to this review, 1 June 2014
Hi Deanna,

Thank you for taking the time to write about us and giving us four stars!
Yes, even Mondays are very busy around here. We have had a great month of May and June is looking even better!
In response to your comments:
-We bring in the highest quality meats and sometimes we cannot get exactly what we want. In turn we have to make a substitution for an different high quality cut. I'm really happy to hear that you enjoyed it.
-A glass of Coke is $3 not $5 and it comes from a can and you get the whole can in your glass.
-Our Coffee is premium espresso from LavAzza as stated on the menu. If requested it can be made a weaker.
We hope that you reconsider your decision to come back to dine with us but if not I hope you enjoy all the other fantastic food the Okanagan has to offer.

Chris Pagett

Summerland, Canada
common_n_restaurant_reviews_1bd8 1 helpful vote
“One of the jewels of Penticton”
Reviewed 4 May 2014

I dine out a lot and have always had a very pleasant experience at the Vanilla Pod.
It is one of the few places in Penticton that I would consider taking anyone to, especially visitors. I also like to see the take other diners have of places that I really enjoy. That being said, I understand that some people are overly critical of establishments, and some are overly enthusiastic in their reviews also.

I have never had a bad meal at the Vanilla Pod, their menu changes seasonally, but Chef Bruno
tries to keep the favourites, and introduces new interesting items frequently. The tasting menus are a culinary adventure and I look forward to each new one the chef creates. The atmosphere is modern and chic, a fireplace warms the atmosphere in the winter months, and the view rocks the rest of the time. The patio has the best of everything Penticton has to offer.

I understand also the pricing of the wines being an issue for some people who may not be familiar with the business structure, but as the owner has indicated in response to some of the review complaints, Poplar Grove winery and the Vanilla Pod restaurant are separate businesses,
and their pricing is reflective of that. I would expect to pay regular restaurant prices at such an establishment.

As far as the criticism of some of the serving staff, I have never had any reason to complain about any of them. I have been served by all of them at different times, Mike, Tony, Chris and Robin. They all seem to be seasoned professionals, knowledgeable, well informed, personable, outgoing ,engaging, professional, and with a good sense of humour and tolerant. I know the job can be extremely demanding at times and everyone there goes out of there way to accommodate any special request regarding diet, seating, or anything else.

I highly recommend the Vanilla Pod for all the reasons listed above, and believe Penticton is fortunate to have such a high calibre restaurant in its stable of dining opportunities

1 Thank Dinerguy1954
Vancouver, Canada
“Good Food”
Reviewed 29 April 2014

We decided to try the restaurant for a late lunch/early dinner. We were greeted and seated right away. We ordered the green salad, potato cakes, steak and the salmon. The food was very good. The only thing we found odd was that they only offered a few of their own wines by the glass (I think 1 white and 2 reds). Being a winery I would suggest that they highlight their wines a little more by offering them all by the glass - or even as a flight of wines so guests can try more and maybe buy more.

1 Thank Monique D
Kelowna, Canada
“This is customer service??”
Reviewed 28 April 2014

Couple things that were glaring. First, the host took his sweet time to greet us. And when he did, he quickly and without proper greeting whisked us to our table, sat us down and, with no further salutation, scurried away. Unbelievable! Hold on. There's more. The waiter was even less engaging. First, she should have stayed home because his upper lip had major chap on it and was sickening to look at, not that we wanted to. And he had the personality of kelp. Never smiled (lip chappage, perhaps?) and treated us like we were an inconvenience. Food was average at best. It was our wedding anniversary and the Vanilla Pod did it s best to screw it up. We won't be back.

2 Thank Johnkelowna
“Delicious but expensive”
Reviewed 24 April 2014

For our anniversary, my husband and I did the dinner and wine prefixed dinner. It was very delicious and the portions were a good size. The dinner itself was $45 each, with the wine pairing for the 4 courses being another $30. The wine pairings were also a full 6 oz of wine. We went prepared for it to be an expensive meal, but it was over $200 with tip for the 2 of us.

1 Thank Jen00000